Can't restore back up file from Kies since 4.1.2 update

Total_Rampage

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I've update the software for my Galaxy S3 but after some trouble with the screen flickering unusual colours, I thought it would be best to restore the phone back top factory settings, so, backed everything up via Kies which went through ok, restored the phone back to factory settings which was easy but now when I've come to restore the back up file all I get the message that the restore failed, tried another back up file and get the same message.

I'm wondering how else I can restore the back up or a back up as I have now no contacts and have no way of contacting my ex about having my son over at Christmas.

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Surely you used your Google account to store your contacts? If you sign into Google it should re sync all contacts. Did you have a Samsung sync account? If so you may be able to restore from that, normally gives you the option to restore once you've entered your user details.

Total_Rampage

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Google or Samsung account, never needed one as I don't use any apps and once I've backed my phone up with Kies and then restored it, it has never been a problem.

I get the 'Data restoration is in progress' with the selected backup items then will get the message "Data restoration to GT-I9300 has been interrupted due to an error"

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
No offence bro but why did you buy an expensive smart phone.
Kies is a terrible programme but if you make a gmail account and log into your phone when you restart it... all your contacts will exist forever in the cloud and whatever google/android device you log into, theyl be there :beer:

Thoughts: if he reinstalls Kies and reboots, will the backup be lost or is it saved outwith kies?

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded rooted international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Total_Rampage

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
The reason I might have the Galaxy S3 is that I might have got it as a birthday present or it might be a company phone, but if you really want to know, my contract with Vodafone was at an end and I was looking to upgrade from the Nokia C3 I had, so saw a deal to stay on Vodafone and had the choice of the S2 or for a little bit extra the S3, so thought I'd treat myself and get the latest phone for a change, that ok?

I don't want another email account just to back up contacts, you may think that Kies is a terrible program but up until the other day I've not had a problem with it, it backed up what i wanted it to back up and restored it with out any problems now since the 4.1.2 Andriod update came out.

I can back up what I want without any issues, yet when it comes to restoring that back up it fails every time and I've tried this on 2 pc's and also reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC last night (it was a planned reinstall anyways) and with Kies it saves the back up file to a folder in User\My Documents which wont get deleted if Kies is uninstalled, I've got 4 back up files, 2 where previous back ups from this month (that restored with no problems before the Andriod update), the back up from the other day and a back up from yesterday, and all 4 come back with the same message "Data restoration to GT-I9300 has been interrupted due to an error". now I've ruled out it being a cable fault as I've tried another cable and have ruled it out being a PC issue, I've tried 3 different versions of Kies, ranging from a version I downloaded last month, to re-downloading the version from the Samsung website and updating that.

Now its either an issue with the Phone itself even though thats been reset pushing on 10 times now or an issue with the Android software that its blocking any type of restore function from Kies.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The reason I might have the Galaxy S3 is that I might have got it as a birthday present or it might be a company phone, but if you really want to know, my contract with Vodafone was at an end and I was looking to upgrade from the Nokia C3 I had, so saw a deal to stay on Vodafone and had the choice of the S2 or for a little bit extra the S3, so thought I'd treat myself and get the latest phone for a change, that ok?

I don't want another email account just to back up contacts, you may think that Kies is a terrible program but up until the other day I've not had a problem with it, it backed up what i wanted it to back up and restored it with out any problems now since the 4.1.2 Andriod update came out.

I can back up what I want without any issues, yet when it comes to restoring that back up it fails every time and I've tried this on 2 pc's and also reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC last night (it was a planned reinstall anyways) and with Kies it saves the back up file to a folder in User\My Documents which wont get deleted if Kies is uninstalled, I've got 4 back up files, 2 where previous back ups from this month (that restored with no problems before the Andriod update), the back up from the other day and a back up from yesterday, and all 4 come back with the same message "Data restoration to GT-I9300 has been interrupted due to an error". now I've ruled out it being a cable fault as I've tried another cable and have ruled it out being a PC issue, I've tried 3 different versions of Kies, ranging from a version I downloaded last month, to re-downloading the version from the Samsung website and updating that.

Now its either an issue with the Phone itself even though thats been reset pushing on 10 times now or an issue with the Android software that its blocking any type of restore function from Kies.

It sounds like youre taking my last post as an insult when it wasnt intended to be mate although rereading it i can see how.
Am just tryin to help... mates? :beer:

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded rooted international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Back to the problem, try gwappas idea man he's a clever cookie.
And the gmail thing.
Its not just an email account,its..... android lol.
If you have a youtube account then you have a google account.
You can turn off gmail notifications and have it hidden in your app tray.
Contacts and calender will be syncd in real time.
Have a look at play store.... i BET theres something free in theyre youll find useful but (and i so honestly am not bein a bleep her) id sell the s3 n get like a 50qid small functional well built phone.
Hope gwappas fix works :thumbup:

MERRY XMAS!!!X

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
P.s, u on o2 rampage?

MERRY XMAS!!!X

Tricia Johnson

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Just so you know, after you do the upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 I think it is it is not possible to sync contacts to Google now... I'm going to have them exchange my phone and NOT upgrade to Jelly Bean

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke