Rooted Galaxy S3 OTA update fails with red exclamation mark

parag14

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 I9300, currently running 4.0.4 ICS Android. I have rooted it using the CF-Root method. Also, I have gone ahead and uninstalled a few of the pre-installed apps that came with the phone. Now, I am being shown a stability patch when I check for OTA updates. When I download the update and install it, the installation fails at 26% with a dead android icon and a red exclamation mark. Also, I have tried doing this with both the stock recovery and CWM recovery, with the same result. What should I do to get the update to install correctly? Also, Kies is able to detect a Jelly Bean upgrade. Will that too fail or can I go ahead and download and install it?

Thanks in advance..

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to update via Kies without any problems - If Kies works for you that is (doesn't like my Widows 8 setup). Failing that you can flash the rom using Odin.

parag14

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes Kies definitely works and shows the upgrade to Jelly Bean too. I was wondering if the stated condition of the system might cause Kies to crash too during the update and damage the phone. Also, will the data on the phone be lost after the upgrade?

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't be an issue - if you have problems with Kies it will be evident when you try to start it - way before you do any firmware updates. If it starts successfully then you will not have any problems.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Ive got a custom kernal and stock JB, will kies work for me?

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded rooted international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC