Someone help me out with rooting? Good idea?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I know about rooting is that you can have many different roms on your phone, overclock your phone and do all sorts. This is the main reason why k want it is to overclock, however im scared im going to brick my phone and wont ever be able to use it again, its still on warranty until around june 2013.

Im running 4.1.2, is it a good idea to root? Is there always a way out if something goes wrong? Please reply.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Its fairly simple if youre ok with a computer mate.
Check out my thread "rooting for pc idiots" lol

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Oops wrong forum
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=660899 Rooting for PC idiots!!

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Its fairly simple if youre ok with a computer mate.
Check out my thread "rooting for pc idiots" lol

Alright cheers mate, yeah im alright with a comp, you dont know half of the system stuff I do to a comp lol

MERRY XMAS!!!X

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i did lastnight bro.
Check my "rooting for pc idiots" thread and use the file shotgun suggests that works for me

MERRY XMAS!!!X

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If I root will I lose all my stuff? All I want to do is overclock just by using setCPU, have got to have a custom rom or anythin like that?

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
You need to be rooted to use setCPU. But you don't need a custom ROM. You will lose everything from your device storage, but not your media card. Just save everything to an external device or card. The Play Store will have all your apps saved. Once you're rooted, you can use an app like Titanium Backup to backup your apps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
This is all I want to do, I just want to root, use set cpu or something to also overclock the gpu, then return back to normal with no root and have all my things back, is this possible?

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Titanium backup only works with root. Rooting has many benefits... The best thing I like about it is the ability to delete useless system apps that are never used but drain your battery. There's really no reason to go back to unrooted except in the case of returning your device. SetCPU only works with a rooted device.... Also, you need to have a kernel installed that supports tweaking. Just check your device thread on XDA Developers for compatible ROMS and kernels for your device. READ, READ, READ before you decide to do anything.

Sent from my Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Alright mate thanks, this kernal thing, do I do this through odin? Also if I was to return back to stock, is there a procedure I have to go through to get it back?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Make a back up either in ClockWorkMod or TWRP....whichever recovery that you are using. If things go wrong, or you don't like it, simply get back into your recovery, and restore.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Will this work, after I have rooted and ive done my overclocking or whatever and I wanted to return to stock can I just plug my phone into kies and do a factory reset or restore?