Help !! Galaxy S3 Freezing every few minutes. unresponsive.

Ali5anDro31

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi
my s3 keeps freezing. the screen basically just freezes while i'm doing something. and the device stops responding to anything.
cant lock it. cant do anything. it doesnt even autolock , the screen just stays on with whatever i was working on.
------------------
the only solution is to wait for it(about 20 minutes) and it will get back to whatever it was doing earlier. or hold the power button and it will reboot.

when i checked my router, i can see that it is still connected. so wifi is working. when i call my number from another phone, it rings but the S3 does absolutely nothing. and after it starts working again, i dont see any missed calls. so anyone who calls me while its "Freezing" will get ignored. i wont even know !!!

---------------

its not related to any app or function.

i updated it to 4.1.2 using odin a month ago (official release, because it would take it forever to get the update in my country) . it was running smoothly. a week ago it started freezing for moments every day or two. now i cant get through 10 minutes of using the device without it freezing for 20 or 30 minutes.

then the screen is turned on and it goes back to normal. and freezes after 10 minutes even if i dont use it.
i've noticed that using WiFi speeds up the freezing. When Wifi is On, it takes about 30s - 3 minutes for it to freeze.
--------
---
I did a Factory reset(full wipe from recovery mode), it worked for about an hour after the reset , and started freezing again like before.
----------------

after researching online.. many people had the same issue. some say its the stock android browser(but i dont use the browser), some said its a glitch in WiFi power saving mode(Disabled it, nothing changed), some said its a problem with the battery(i'm gonna trade batteries with my friend and see what happens).
I'm Freaking OUT !!! ... the device is Very Unstable and i use it on daily basis, i cant live without it. i dont know what to do. i've almost tried everything.
and i've paid alot of money for it
i dont know what to do next. probably gonna flash it back to 4.1.1 or 4.0.4
i Hope to hear any ideas from you. or from anyone who had this issue with his device.
thanks in advance

Last edited:

JF7

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Im having the exact same issue, had my S3 well over 6 months now, never had an issue with it, right now im running 4.2.1 Omega v36 rom, and it keeps freezing on me more than 10 times a day, you cant do anything while its frozen other than hold the power button and reboot, in which in some cases it freezes just after the boot animation. I already tried a factory reset too, to no progress, next thing im gonna try is stock rom without any account linked, but Im not getting my hopes up, please any light on a solution for this issue would be great. Thanks

PrSinister

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem and i was on Omega v34 and just upgraded to v36...Like you, it started a couple of days ago and now today it is happening all the time... I am thinking of updating the bootloader to XXELLA in Odin...

PrSinister

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
This even happens in Safe Mode! That means it's not an app but in case it is, here are the apps i recently installed :

• Ultimate custom widget (UCCW)
  • MX Player
  • Eye In Sky Weather
  • JuiceDefender - battery saver
  • AirDroid
  • Pixlr Express
  • Spotify
  • ZEDGE

Ali5anDro31

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Im having the exact same issue, had my S3 well over 6 months now, never had an issue with it, right now im running 4.2.1 Omega v36 rom, and it keeps freezing on me more than 10 times a day, you cant do anything while its frozen other than hold the power button and reboot, in which in some cases it freezes just after the boot animation. I already tried a factory reset too, to no progress, next thing im gonna try is stock rom without any account linked, but Im not getting my hopes up, please any light on a solution for this issue would be great. Thanks

i've had some improvement... i noticed that, if i leave it alone after it freezes , it will sort it self out and will be back to normal in 15 or 20 minutes.
and now the freezing problem is less frequent, about once a day.
so i'm hoping that it will disappear on it own

budig88

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem after update to Android 4.1.2, the phone freezes about 5-10 times a day. I upgrade to 4.1.2 XXELLA and it improve a bit, now still freezing about 1-3 times a day. Is anyone know the solution of this problem ? please share, it is really annoying.

Tee Reg

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue also, I have 4.1.2.
I restart the device 50!!!!!! times a day.
It is becoming very annoying!
H E L L O S A M S U N G !!!! Do you hear me?!
I payed for it 1000$
This is terrible.
My device details:
Build number: JZO54K.I9300XXELL4
Kernel version: 3.0.31-566833 se.infra@SEP-64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 10 17:0426 KST 2012
Baseband version: I9300XXELL4
Model number: GT-I9300

Experts out there: WHAT TO DO ? :'(

sean1993

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who have manually updated to 4.1.2 official release through odin, it seems fairly likely that the release is causing the problems. If it is unreliable, you can always try rooting the phone if not already and installing a custom rom which is running on 4.1.2 rather than the official release which is clearly loaded with bugs. Alternatively, you can always flash back to your previous version before you performed the update via odin. Unfortunate i know.

Hope this helps.

Sent from SG3 RootUser

Sl0th

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
hey

I am also gettting this exact same problem.

I thought it was my launcher app apex launcher and i have gone through uninstall all different apps and games.

i done a factory rest and the problem came back maybe not long after.

i have gone into the developer settings and turned off all animations and read to turn off the wifi notification in advanced. Still freezing. seems to crash on any app.

its annoying me that much im about to sent my phone back under warranty.

i am on 4.1.1 so i dont know if it was the update i seem to be getting the exact same problems as you guys

hicksandhudson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Snap and ditto

Phone either has black unresponsive screen and won't unlock (requires hard reset), or, freezes with screen on (and requires hard reset)

No apparent app relationship and happens in different circumstances each time. Also, seems to reset overnight whilst being charged - based on uptime figure review in the morning

This never happened until after Xmas (4.1.1 and then 4.1.2 OTA installed on stock, unrooted O2 in UK) - I do have the VTU00M 0fx1 chip BUT I have the updated kernel XXELLA

If I am understanding other threads then this should have fixed any problem?

I have done a factory reset and it improved for about a day - now back to 5-10 resets and freezes per day

Called Samsung service centre and they said they would re-flash (I could do that) and - when/if that doesn't work - they'll send to Samsung for 'proper' repair

This phone is only 6 months old - where is my swap-out new one Samsung? I can't be without a phone

I was eulogising this device until now - if it doesn't get sorted I will not buy a Samsung device again

Last edited:

stanoislav

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, this is weird. I started having exactly the same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was ready to buy a new phone as it was getting ridiculous. I tried downgrading the build, uninstalling apps, nothing has helped. I was just too busy to go to the store to get a new phone. All of a sudden for the last 24 hours the freezing has disappeared. I don't think I have done anything to make it go away. Maybe it was one of the apps that got autoupdated? Maybe whatever HW problem was this caused by has automagically fixed itself? Or maybe a strange bug in the OS that goes away on 22nd of Jan? I will report if the freezing comes back. Guys that reported problems, did your phone auto fix itself as well or are you still facing the same problem?

Sl0th

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, this is weird. I started having exactly the same problem about 2 weeks ago. I was ready to buy a new phone as it was getting ridiculous. I tried downgrading the build, uninstalling apps, nothing has helped. I was just too busy to go to the store to get a new phone. All of a sudden for the last 24 hours the freezing has disappeared. I don't think I have done anything to make it go away. Maybe it was one of the apps that got autoupdated? Maybe whatever HW problem was this caused by has automatically fixed itself? Or maybe a strange bug in the OS that goes away on 22nd of Jan? I will report if the freezing comes back. Guys that reported problems, did your phone auto fix itself as well or are you still facing the same problem?

hey you know what i done a factory reset AGAIN yest to give it one more go before i contacted the company i purchased it from to get my phone sent back to get fixed or replaced. after the factory reset i tried using it for a bit maybe 5mins was sweet then started freezing constantly again. i started installing all my apps again cause i thought it im sending it back anyway may as well try use it until i have to send it off.
so about after possibly 10 freezes & restarts last night then it suddenly stopped freezing. it hasn't frozen once today.
ill also keep you updated and curious to know how you go Stanoislav :-\ very weird

**also i was originally on 4.1.1 but thought if i upgrade to 4.1.2 it would fix but never did**

Breakwhore

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this exact same problem on my O2 network S3. While it hasn't crashed yet today I thought it might've been because I've not used it much. A Jan 22 auto-fix would certainly be appreciated...

Last edited:

stanoislav

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
hey you know what i done a factory reset AGAIN yest to give it one more go before i contacted the company i purchased it from to get my phone sent back to get fixed or replaced. after the factory reset i tried using it for a bit maybe 5mins was sweet then started freezing constantly again. i started installing all my apps again cause i thought it im sending it back anyway may as well try use it until i have to send it off.
so about after possibly 10 freezes & restarts last night then it suddenly stopped freezing. it hasn't frozen once today.
ill also keep you updated and curious to know how you go Stanoislav :-\ very weird

**also i was originally on 4.1.1 but thought if i upgrade to 4.1.2 it would fix but never did**

Still no freezing, almost 48 hours. Same usage patterns from my side as before.

Sl0th

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
mine has also been fine yet thats a full day and a bit more now. *fingers crossed*.

also using it as I normally would. installed some more apps etc. its running how it should be. i really dont understand what has fixed it though? i know i did do a factory reset but even just after it it was doing freezing still. so strange

hscac

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Same happen here.

Used for this phone for over half year, after official OTA update to 4.1.2 from 4.1.1 the problem appear. The phone keep freezing every like 5 - 10 minutes. I have to restart it by pressing the power button.

I tried format the phone and it starts to freeze very soon. The more workload the faster it freezes.

What can i do. I have never rooted or unlocked it.

Sl0th

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
my problem was happening whilst on 4.1.1 and also 4.1.2

try one more format maybe ? turn all animations off in your developer options? and hope for the best .. if mine comes back im gonna send it back under warranty

Last edited:

stanoislav

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
My freezing has disappeared. Just trying a small clue - for the folks with freezing phones - does it happen with the same frequency when you disable WIFI?