Help !! Galaxy S3 Freezing every few minutes. unresponsive.

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The one that you have linked to, I think is the one that messed up my phone in the first place, as it was in January my phone started to play up

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That's the one I have right now on my phone and it runs perfectly with it. That's why I'm hesitant about this new one. Scared to go through all the hassle again.

betty_boop245

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I dont blame you, the grief I have had with my phone the last month or so, Im just so glad its sorted out now

Jerome10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick FYI....

Woke up this morning to the phone frozen at "Samsung" on the bootup (plays the music, little blue animation, then "Samsung"). I cannot get the phone to boot normally again. Think this thing finally bit the dust.

I never received the update discussed by Tricia.

Trying to determine if there is a way I can save this thing or if I've got Sudden Death or whatever and I have to return it to Samsung.

fredsie

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Trying to determine if there is a way I can save this thing or if I've got Sudden Death or whatever and I have to return it to Samsung.

It's probably worth looking up where your local Samsung service centre is. Call in and get them to flash the firmware, they should do it while you wait. That would eliminate one bunch of possible causes before going though the hassle of returning it to Samsung.

Laving

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with my S3. Have a solution that worked for me.
Went to shop where I bought it and got replacement one. That did help a lot. No more freezes.

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. It started on Tuesday.
It freezes at random moments, and random apps. After a while it unfreezes or reboots.
Has anyone found a solution as to why this is happening? or what I could do?
I am in Costa Rica.

I am running JB 4.1.2 / Baseband: I9300UBELL1 / Build number: JZO54K.I9300UBEMA1
Kernell: 3.0.31-789635
se.infra@SEP-92 #1
SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 4 19:59:29 KST 2013

Ben Page

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here. Started about 2 weeks ago, randomly. My phone is an aussie Telstra variant, i9300T

Sometimes it will work for a few hours without any issues! Other times it will freeze almost immediately on startup. Once or twice it has frozen on the 'Samsung' boot image, but this is rare.

One thing to note is that I did crack my screen about a month ago and had the screen & digitizer replaced by a mr fixit (so there goes my samsung warranty).

I have tried the following but nothing works:

• disable wifi
  • remove external sd card
  • installed brand new clean rom (supernexus) - froze even before any apps installed
  • leaving the device for 20-30 mins (sometimes it does come good again but will freeze after)
  • cleaned / checked data, cache, etc
  • fstrim
  • disabled samsung apps

other things i've noted:
  • once, when it froze, i was playing music - it kept playing the current track but didn't continue after that
  • if LEDs are blinking etc, they continue to blink
  • as stated by someone else previously, if i call the phone it rings and rings and eventually goes to voicemail, but there's no notification on the phone that there was a missed call

JB 4.1.2 / Baseband: I9300TDUELL2 / Build number: JZO54K.I9300TDUELL2
Kernel: 3.0.31-750912
dpi@DELL158 #1
SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 26 20:38:22 KST 2012

fmac0202

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
It's the SD card!!!! My Samsung S3 has been perfect for 6 months until a few weeks ago when I finally put an SD 8gb card in it.

Firstly it started to turn itself off and on. Then just turned itself off. Each time I couldn't restart it and had to remove the battery. Each time I turned it back on it would freeze within a minute. Couldn't even reboot and had to take the battery out and restart every time.

Finally thought to take the SD card out and it's fine again (so far)!!!!

If you don't need the card, get rid of it. ;)

jaithehulk

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have got a german S3 unbranded, factory unlocked.
I have the freezing problems similar to everyone.
My firmware is :-
Android 4.1.2
baseband - I9300XXELL4

As suggested by a member here, I uninstalled all updates to the samsung apps application.
For the last 24 hrs no freezing!

If there is anything new..I will keep you guys posted.:eek::confused::D

PGTART

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
It has always worked fine, but since about ~ 2 weeks ago (16-3-2013) it freezes or reboots daily from 6 till 20 times a day !!!
This is driving me mad, no one can reach me after crash or while it is in a crash, people at work cannot reach me.
Also i dont have an extra SD card, so SD isnt a problem in my case
WTF went wrong with the 4.1.2 > my phone was always stable until that update.
How could Samsung/Google allow for such bad updates ????

I am sure this is not related to applications as i've had it too with no apps installed.
Also i got slightly less reboots, after i installed a defragment tool (i dont have an extra SD card but its for the internal mem i think).. that reduced it a lot.
On a side note even with little apps active it consumes a lot of memory ..is that normal ?? (i have about 35Mb free that seams low, despite i close any app.
The phone isnt going slow, or things like that the freeze is sudden, and the reboots are way to often...its not a functional phone

GT -I9300
Baseband version 19300XXELL4
Kernel version 3.0.31-566833
Build number JZO54K.I9300XXELL4

How can we demand Samsung and Google to solve it ?

jaithehulk

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have got a german S3 unbranded, factory unlocked.
I have the freezing problems similar to everyone.
My firmware is :-
Android 4.1.2
baseband - I9300XXELL4

As suggested by a member here, I uninstalled all updates to the samsung apps application.
For the last 24 hrs no freezing!

If there is anything new..I will keep you guys posted.:eek::confused::D

The phone froze after 43h of uptime, which is pretty good compared to freezing after every 2h.
I need some info:-
which is the latest firmware for this phone(german S3 unbranded, factory unlocked)?

Jerome10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Back again with another update.

Sent my completely frozen phone to Samsung service center in Germany (DAT Repair GmbH)....just got it back. Had it on about 30 minutes and it has frozen 5 times. I think it is mid number 6 right now.

I am going completely ape at the moment. Two weeks without the phone, get it back, and it boots up then freezes a few minutes later. GREAT JOB GUYS!

The delivery note from the repair center translates "We have carried out a new program. Your machine now meets all specifications of the manufacturer". So, apparently freezing phones is a Samsung specification. Good to know :mad:

I've about had it with this piece of junk. Between this, and the fact that Kies has NEVER since day one worked right (detects the phone every 3-5 plug-ins....and backup has never actually completely carried out), then their service partner can't fix the thing.

I won't say I'm never buying samsung again, but I sure will be considering other phones ahead of Samsung for my future purchases. This is simply ridiculous. Not just my experience, but the fact so many others are having the same issues as well and nobody seems to be getting it fixed.

jaithehulk

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The phone froze after 43h of uptime, which is pretty good compared to freezing after every 2h.
I need some info:-
which is the latest firmware for this phone(german S3 unbranded, factory unlocked)?

I hear you Jerome10..
Which is the firmware your phone is on?
What is the latest firmware for the phone?
so I can atleast try different firmwares and post the results.

Jerome10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Firmware looks like ...

well not sure what firmware is, but its baseband version I9300XXELL4. Android 4.1.2.

No updates available either OTA or on Kies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney