S3 Turns off on its own.

sibex#AC

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I am with Orange in the UK and have had my S3 for about 6 months. About 3 or 4 weeks ago I picked my phone up and saw that it had powered off. The only way I could get it back on was to remove the battery, put it back in and restart.

This has continued to happen about twice a week.

I have no bloatware, no task killers and no other "dodgy" software. All the apps I have are the normal run of the mill ones.

The RAM is never maxed out and I dont have hundreds of apps.

The phone has not been rooted and is still running ICS.

If anyone has experienced similar, I would like to know if you managed to sort it.

Thanks.

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine started doing it yesterday. Three times in one day. I wrote on Samsung fb page. Usually they always get back to me.

Have you solved yours?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Quinthirty

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm unsure about whether it was fixed. I woke up this morning, looked at my device. Battery was at 33%. Tried to do a sync on the device w/ my computer, and then I saw the phone screen went black. Thought it was on idle so I pressed the button on the right again, to no avail. Made a long press and it wouldn't power on. Plugged in the charger for a few seconds, device switches on, and battery shows its at 31%. It has switched off since. Still unstable.

I noticed last night that when my nephew was tinkering with the phone (he's 2), when he pressed on some of the icons, and buttons, it would not respond. I try to press the buttons myself, and it was indeed hanging. Yep, still unstable software this 4.1.2. It was ok before that but I'm unsure of the fixes that were included because now I can't sync my calendar on my Mac and my S3.

sibex#AC

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think TuckyC is right. It's Sudden Death Syndrome. I finally got the Jellybean 4.1.2 upgrade and everything is fine now.. No problems at all. Downside is that the battery drain is far greater now than it was on ICS. I can live with that though; it's better than the phone just randomly switching off.

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand. My phone started dying on me ever since I got JellyBean with the Premium Suite for the S3. Before it was fine.

Yesterday it didn't do it. Let's see what happens today. However since I got JB I also noticed that it's very slow to open the phonebook and messages. Isn't this supposed to be a super phone? What about all that quad core hype? I'm quite pissed off right now with Samsung.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Its a pain but like half the people getting 4.1.1 or.2 have had to factory reset to kill the bugs :(
Sorry but its best i can suggest..

GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale, aroma v1.5A. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Samsung replied to me this morning and that is what they suggested I do.

I'll try and find a quite moment to do it.

Thanks anyway. :thumbup:

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Unbelievable two days after doing the factory reset it started doing it again. Today already five times. I wrote to Samsung again.

Is there anyway I can go back to 4.1.1? This all started with the 4.1.2 I wish I never upgraded.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Unbelievable two days after doing the factory reset it started doing it again. Today already five times. I wrote to Samsung again.

Is there anyway I can go back to 4.1.1? This all started with the 4.1.2 I wish I never upgraded.

No way to revert back to earlier version of android unless you use Odin and flash back manually which is what is done normally in rooting/unrooting the device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

widgeamedoo

May 3, 2013
Visit site
My 4.1.2 Galaxy Nexus was also switching itself off multiple times a day for no reason. Battery could be 70% but it would still do it. Press the power button and it would come back on again. The phone could do this just sitting on the desk so I don't think it is a mechanical problem. I removed the FaceBook app a week ago and it hasn't shutdown since. Anyone having this problem with the FB app installed?

Manikanda Prabhu M

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S Duos GT-S7562 running ICS version 4.0.4 started switching off automatically when left idle. This started happening from 3 days back.
I tried doing factory reset but there is no improvement.

Is there any other solution ?

Chris Miller14

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S Duos GT-S7562 running ICS version 4.0.4 started switching off automatically when left idle. This started happening from 3 days back.
I tried doing factory reset but there is no improvement.

Is there any other solution ?

Hi all I had the same problem on my s3 mini.it turned out to be the case I was using it put pressure on the power button it was not touching the button but it just squeezed the plastic around that area enough to randomly switch off the phone. Also I have seen this before with an app that is misbehaving in this case it was juice defender shutting the phone down when it connected to wifi. You could boot into safe mode and that should tell you if it is an app because it will only run the phone in down grade mode.

Posted via Android Central App on my s3 GT 19300

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech