Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 freezes every hour or so.

Im having the same problems. My phone is 5 months old, and was fine before the 4.1.2 update. Since I updated about 2 weeks ago, it has gradually gone from just being slow and laggy, to freezing at least twice a day. I contacted Samsung, and they told me to do a full factory reset, which I did, but after 1 day the freezing started again. They've now told me I need to take it to a service centre, although I don't know what they'll be able to do if its a software bug, but I guess ive got no choice, as im not prepared to put up with it until they release an update to fix it!!

Hi - exact same problems as other.
    Got a S3 on O2 and not had any problems until yesterday when the phone started randomly freezing. No patterns of what I'm doing, can be doing anything, even when the phone is in sleep mode. Only options are to hold power button down or remove the battery. Over 48hrs this must of happened over 20 times. Frustrating isn't the word!!!!!
    I've tried the following to no avail:-
    * Removing recently installed apps
    * Closing down all running tasks via holding down home button and clearing memory and closing down all apps
    * Turning wifi completely off

From other posters I'm dubious about doing a factory reset as others have tried this and it hasn't worked. If anyone has any tips or had any success I'd be really grateful.
    I'd agree this seems to have been the case since 4.1.2 which my phone recently received via OTA

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Wait it out - I had the same problem and it seems to have solved itself.
    Yoof likes this.

- Vodafone UK Contract - White Galaxy S3

The problem does appear to be less often, so far I've resisted downgrading from 4.1.2, but I may go back to 4.1 or 4.1.1 soon as the problem hasn't completley disappeared and does appear to be totally random from what I can tell. I never had a problem before the upgrade so I'm thinking it must be some random bug regarding the software upgrade but as I can't find a pattern it could be anything. I've tried various things like removing all apps, total wipe and reinstall and also keeping wi-fi off and it still happened at various times.

I'm now using the phone as normal the it doesn't seem to be freezing as often as it was (at one point almost as soon as it had rebooted it would freeze) and it down to maybe once per day, but also once i charge it overnight, usually when i check my phone in the morning it has frozen and rebooted itself, I know this because I've got a simlock and it's always on that screen, could be a overheating problem? or heat sensor problem or the way the OS is detecting these?

Thanks for the info and fingers crossed my similar issue starts to dissapear. Can you tell me out of interest how I would downgrade to 4.1.1?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silentnoise3 View Post
    - Vodafone UK Contract - White Galaxy S3

The problem does appear to be less often, so far I've resisted downgrading from 4.1.2, but I may go back to 4.1 or 4.1.1 soon as the problem hasn't completley disappeared and does appear to be totally random from what I can tell. I never had a problem before the upgrade so I'm thinking it must be some random bug regarding the software upgrade but as I can't find a pattern it could be anything. I've tried various things like removing all apps, total wipe and reinstall and also keeping wi-fi off and it still happened at various times.

I'm now using the phone as normal the it doesn't seem to be freezing as often as it was (at one point almost as soon as it had rebooted it would freeze) and it down to maybe once per day, but also once i charge it overnight, usually when i check my phone in the morning it has frozen and rebooted itself, I know this because I've got a simlock and it's always on that screen, could be a overheating problem? or heat sensor problem or the way the OS is detecting these?

Hi Richo1973

I found the following guide on how to roll back your Galaxy S3, the website it links too has various different ROMS, so you just choose the one that matches your phone and network provider.

[How to] Flash/Rollback Galaxy S3 - Vodafone eForum

O2 have got an update out today, fingers crossed, my O2 gs3 just started doing this in the last week

Yeah Vodafone UK just got an update via Kies today also, just waiting for my phone to charge before updating. Will report back

check this thread people also experiencing this problem.. a couple of us it has just fixed itself magically like mine and then it may come back for abit then go :S

Help !! Galaxy S3 Freezing every few minutes. unresponsive.

Hi All,

Not good news I'm afraid, did the update last night and now my phone freezes pretty much everytime I reboot, I'm going to have to roll back now as at the moment the phone is pretty much a useless brick. It'll reboot sometimes and is OK but as soon as i go in to any application and try to do something it freezes! .... I'm rolling back to before 4.1.2 and if it's still happening then It'll have to go back to Samsung for repair.

I have the same problem. Usually the phone would freeze after I initiated some action for an app. The screen would freeze on the app, and the hard buttons would be unresponsive. The notification bar would be active still, so i could pull it down, but once I let it go after pulling it down, it wouldn't go back up. I could push the power button and the screen would go black, but when I pushed it again, it would display exactly the same screen. I was on Wicked rom at the time, thought it might be a rom issue, but it wasn't that bad so I just let it continue. After a week or so it started to get really bad. One day it stared freezing almost every hour, so I decided to flash back to stock. After going back to stock and doing a full wipe, including a format of the sd card, it seemed to do fine, but trying to install a zip via cwm recovery, it froze again. Unexpected to see it happening in recovery, as I assumed it was a software issue. Phone was fine for two days without freezing while it was running. On the third day, today, it froze again in the exact same way. So that's where I'm at now. Thinking I'll get it replaced.

Well after 4 days of getting this problem in anything I'm doing and having to reboot my phone 20+ times a day I've decided to factory reset. What I've done and intending to do is:-
    * Factory reset
    * Leave for upto 72hrs with minimal apps and see results
    * If problem reoccurs roll back to 4.1.1 (currently on 4.1.2)
    * If problem reoccurs have little choice but to take the phone back to the shop.

Similar to everyone else I had no problems at all with my phone and 4 days ago this started completely out of the blue with no new apps or changes made to my phone.
    I'll post back with my results as I'm sure everyone else is finding this as frustrating as me...
    Cheers....

Two things I've done which have helped considerably:

Turn off wi-fi power saving. I picked this tip up from another forum - can't recall where.

In the dialler, type *#0011#. You'll go into the service mode. Select wi-fi using the menu button and you should see a toggle to disable WPS mode. Change it to OFF.

This made my freezes and reboots go from several a day to one or two a day. It doesn't appear to have any negative impact on wi-fi performance or battery life. The reboots seem to occur most often when unlocking - maybe the wifi tries to reconnect and triggers a bug, and I'm guessing this keeps the connection alive longer.

I've subsequently installed a different kernel (siyah 1.8.9) , and that combined with the WPS thing has reduced my random freezes and/or reboots to about one every two days. I can almost live with that.

This update is seriously messed up for stability, but the features are compelling. I'm hoping Samsung get a fix out in the next few weeks or I'm going to roll back to an earlier version.

Hope these tips help someone else. I spent a lot of time searching for a fix, and this is as close as I got.

Cheers,
    D.

Hi all!

Unfortunately mine has started doing this too. I've pretty much eliminated the apps being an issue by not having any installed on stock XELLA. I've unrooted, flashed stock rom & factory reset, wiped the cache and factory reset from recovery. It was happening pretty much "randomly", or so it seemed.

I had a niggling feeling that it was WIFI being used / related from what I had done so far, I left the phone to run overnight with WIFI ON, but with out having logged into the Play store or Samsung account after a factory reset, no other apps installed - come to this morning where I found my phone sitting there, no lock ups, no freezes, I kept waking it up randomly to see if I could get it to lock up, nothing - running "fine".

Now it had run overnight, with no apparent lock ups and no lock ups this morning at all, it was now time to experiment... I logged into the Play store app and straight away, as soon as I tapped on the notification to say the stock apps (dropbox etc) needed updating it crashed. Straight away. IE putting load on the WIFI card/chip/drivers.

Now I'm tempted to take it back to Vodafone because my wife's S3 is running like a dream as is my mothers and sisters as far as I know, (they usually come running to me if they have technomeltdowns), no lock ups, no freezing - my cheeky wife blamed me for "rooting & mucking around with it", but if I take it back to them I'll get a refurb device and whose to say that one won't experience the same problems?

Could anyone else try a factory reset and at the initial setup options, just skip everything and let your phone run like that for a few hours, turn wifi on, leave it for a few more hours, hopefully you have no lock ups, if you have no more lock ups sign into the Play app store and do the updates required - report back here with what you've noticed, please!

I have found some sites that explain this. Its called sudden death. I have contacted Samsung and they are collecting my phone for repair. Basically it is more the chip causing the problem and not the 4.1.2. There is an app on play store called eMMC check. It will tell you if your chip is known to fail.
    If you google and do some reading on sudden death you will see it just gets worse. Sooner you return under warranty the better.
    Hope this makes sense and helps someone.

4.1.2 is supposed to contain a workaround for the sudden death issue.

So while there is certainly a hardware issue, the symptoms of "sudden death" are that the phone is bricked. It won't work at all, and can't be turned on.

This does not seem to be the same issue of freezing and random reboots. At least for me, the problems started upon installing 4.1.2.

There is most likely two groups of people with problems - those with hardware issues which are likely to be severe (dead phone), and those with software issues which are likely to be annoying, but non-terminal.

I guess it's conceivable that these reboots are symptomatic of hardware issues, but tweaking the wifi settings is unlikely to make a difference in that case. But it did for me so I'm leaning towards software for now....

David, what were the wifi tweaks you made?

This is driving me nuts, I can't even access the Play store to download any apps, so my phone is stock with no apps to use, no contacts sync'd with my Google account (I always said using the 'cloud' to store valuable info would someday be the end of me or at least **** me off a great deal if I couldn't access the info)

I've also posted this on the other thread on this issue, but I've been having issues with my phone freezing and rebooting for the last 2 weeks, so I took mine to a Samsung service centre, and they sorted it for me by re-flashing the software, they had other people in with the issue. Its been fine for the last 3 days, no freezing, lagging, and no reboots

The wifi setting is a couple of posts above.

In the dialler, type *#0011#. You'll go into the service mode. Select wi-fi using the menu button and you should see a toggle to disable WPS mode. Change it to OFF.

I'd be really interested to know if this helps you. Most of my freezes were when I unlocked (or shortly after), so your symptoms sound a little different.

After tweaking and re-kerneling my phone has been up for two days without a crash. The longest period sans-crash since 4.1.2 went on there!

Doh! How'd I miss that?

WPS meaning Wifi Power Save, just turned that off now and started having a play with the phone and it's locked up again. Oddly enough since flashing XELL5 I've had a few lock ups, but not nearly as often as with XELLA, which were on every reboot or just about every time I tried to use the phone - unless wifi was turned off.

If it does continue I'll be visiting Vodafone's larger Oxford shop this week, expressing how annoyed I am by the SGS3 and reminding them what a good, long term (13+ years) my wife and I have been, and asking politely for a new SGS3.

EDIT: I applied the work around again and it crashed when using the phone. I'll restart my router (BT Hub3) and apply the patch again - "just in case", even though my wife's has been fine all day, also had my sister and mother round earlier and their SGS3's were fine ....

Update:

Well I tried downgrading back to 4.1.1 which went smoothly, resisted adding any apps and it still froze, left it a while without any apps and it made no difference, with wi-fi on, with wi-fi off, with apps, without apps I can't seem to see a pattern it seems very random, although I did notice towards the bottom of the phone it seemed warmer than normal, almost like when your playing intensive games, but i suppose this could be attributed to the various reboots etc.

Anyway the problem doesn't seem to be isolated to 4.1.1 so I've upgraded back to 4.1.2 which was nightmarish! Once I re-upgraded the phone went nuts, would just about start up and freeze, or would let me unlock it and as soon as i tried to open an app it would freeze and even in safe mode it was doing this!?

After about 20+ reinstalls, more reboots than i can remember the issue seems to have died down slightly, no freeze or reboot in over 12 hours (which doesn't sound like a lot) but at one point it was every minute or so.

I'm on holiday soon and can't really afford to be without a phone while I'm away but if the issue continues I will have to send my phone back under warranty, or I may take my phone in to Vodafone tomorrow and see if their willing to do anything about it as I'm a 10 year+ customer of theirs.

This morning I flashed back to BUBLG3 / 4.0.4 which is the original firmware and it has been absolutely fine. I've tried replicating the lock ups and can't, I've installed apps from the Play store and Amazon App store, updated bloatware apps and used the phone like I have when it's locked up. I'll carry on running it on this for the time being and do update by update later on and test each to see if I can replicate the lock ups.

Download the firmwares I have from here http://sdrv.ms/VHcD0t
    or from my home server here which may be a faster download off my FTTP line http://tinyurl.com/bmvnptu - use the username anon without a password, if you can't figure that out.........

PS: if you screw your phone flashing it, it's your fault, not mine as you decided to, tough titties if you brick it, read up on flashing woth Odin first.

Guess a mod didn't like the links to the firmware files? If anyone wants alternate links, to most of the released firmware files, Vodafone or BTU, just message me.

EDIT: Never mind, it's now been approved - see above

Anywhoo, on 4.0.4 now and not had a single lock up since flashing it this morning, which is a freaking miracle.Downloaded and installed all App updates, installed a few apps via Play and Amazon stores, played an hour of Another World and been using the phone for web browsing and facebook - no problems! I miss some of the features from later firmwares and will update via OTA instead of flashing via Odin a bit later on once I've used the phone on 4.0.4 a bit more "too be sure" It's all gravy baby.

EDIT 2: I had great success with 4.0.4, so upgraded to 4.1.1 via OTA updates, which ran flawlessly for hours while I was trying to put load on the device / wifi chip, no crash, no lockups, no freezes of any sort, so I proceeded with the next OTA update which took me to XELL5, which again ran flawlessly for hours, so I've now upgraded to XELLA via OTA and it too has been fine for hours - Lets hope it stays that way for Vodafone's sake (they provided the phone, thus they are responsible for replacing / taking ownership of the repair).

What if I don't want to root my device..!

Anyways i was having the same issue since i updated it to 4.1.2. I tried things like formatting/factory reset etc but like everyone else it didn't worked out well.. Earlier the issue was for 5-6 times a day but one night it was freezing every time i switch it on within 5 mins interval.
    So i decided to take it to Samsung Service center (Chandigarh, India).. They tried to change the software version and I had some different baseband version which according to them is latest. I got the mobile next day but that also didn't solved the issue.

I called them up again explaining the scenario and they said if its not the software issue then they have to replace the motherboard.. Now today i have again given them the mobile and they will replace the motherboard,...

I don't know if its good or bad but i was personally afraid to keep a phone(motherboard) which is freezing like this. :/

Lets see what happens next...!

Thanks,
    Pranav

Somebody came up with a solution to this problem:
    xda-developers - View Single Post - Galaxy S 3 keeps freezing every 5 mins (50+ freezes a day) - FDisk80 found this thread on Xda
    That is if you are willing to root and install a custom recovery.
    I have not tried it because my phone seems to behave now... 69 hours without any freezes and I did nothing. Very strange one this is.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast