Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 freezes every hour or so.

Following up on my earlier post.

My phone uptime is 99:51:05 and hasn't frozen once in that time. That's 4+ days. It would be longer but I shut it down while flying.

I no longer need to mess with the wifi settings or do any other tweaks.

The fix for me was running fstrim. This suggests that block allocation on the phones internal memory was SNAFU'd, and fstrim fixed it. Why wifi settings were helping shall remain a mystery.

There are a few reports of bricking after using fstrim, but I suspect that is where non-patched eMMC-aware kernels are in use. I had no problem at all and I am delighted to have my stable, fluid S3 back.

Those of you still struggling should consider giving it a try.
    Thanked by:

Fstrim requires rooting.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sutherland1 View Post
    Following up on my earlier post.

My phone uptime is 99:51:05 and hasn't frozen once in that time. That's 4+ days. It would be longer but I shut it down while flying.

I no longer need to mess with the wifi settings or do any other tweaks.

The fix for me was running fstrim. This suggests that block allocation on the phones internal memory was SNAFU'd, and fstrim fixed it. Why wifi settings were helping shall remain a mystery.

There are a few reports of bricking after using fstrim, but I suspect that is where non-patched eMMC-aware kernels are in use. I had no problem at all and I am delighted to have my stable, fluid S3 back.

Those of you still struggling should consider giving it a try.
    I can confirm that this fixed my constant freezing

Quote Originally Posted by FabP69 View Post
    Same here. Mine froze every 5 to 10 minutes or so for days after installing 4.1.2. Anytime between Samsung logo flashing at start, password entering, usings apps, or simply not doing anything. I finally realised that the Storage was nearly full (rougly 10GB used out of total space 11.25GB, as checked in Setting/ Storage). I deleted a few music and film and now everything is back to normal. It was runing perfectly fine before 4.1.2 version and I didn't increase strorage usage since (or not much). Can it be that the new 4.1.2 needs much more free space than previous versions?
    Freezes came back (less frequently though, every other hours), so not a memory problem.

I think fstrim also fixed it for me, it was the last thing I had done and no freezing / lock ups since! Hurrah!

Hi! Can someone please explain me what is fstrim and how do you put it in your samsung galaxy s3? I am rooted, running vanilla rootbox custom rom and i am experiencing the same problems that are reported here. Any help will be highly appreciated

Hi All,

Update:

I had the same problems reported here and tried various fixes, including rolling back to previous OS, re-flashing, rooting, until in the end I just took the phone back to my carrier and they sent it off for repair, it did mean being without my phone for two weeks (mainly as I was away - the fix didn't take that long) but I was able to use a old phone and now it's come back and is running like a dream.

According the the repair report the engineers tested the phone and found a fault with the motherboard, this has now been replaced and the new software update applied, to be honest I think a lot of people may have this hardware problem in varying degrees, as mentioned before if your phone is playing up just take it back while it's within the warranty period and get it fixed. To be fair is has only been a day since I got it back but I've been running it pretty hard and so far not even a slight hiccup.

I had the same problem with my sg3 just after upgrading to JellyBean 4.1.2 XXEMA2 for almost a week now, freezing every now and then, although the phone will fix itself after 15 to 20 minutes and it is really annoying.. Two days ago, while my SG3 is under freeze state, i removed the battery, removed and transfered the sim to another phone because i need to call somebody. After about 30 minutes, i returned the sim to the SG3 and turned it on. I really cant tell if this fixed my unit but i never had a single freeze since the last 02 days.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

had the same problems as most people on here, a few things that I have done that has made my phone faster and for the past 24 hours not crashed once.

1. Back up then factory reset the phone.
    2. Wiped the apps I don't use - had nearly 200 apps now stripped down to 75 (Amazing how many apps I downloaded and never used but they clogged up my space and ram usage).
    3. Formatted the SDCard - It did mean had to reload all my music but the phone seemed to have a problem accessing the data.
    4. Updated to the latest firmware 19300XXEMB1 using PC and Kies.

As said above not a single crash and the phone is much faster like when I first got it.

Paul

Edit: 24/02/13 - Not one crash since the update
    Last edited by leobloom; 02-24-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Thanked by:

Hi

Same here - flashed 19300XXEMB1 update and 48 hrs later no freezes. I can usually reproduce the freeze with a few apps i.e. Flipboard, Facebook, Twitter etc and normally within 5-10 minutes of launching those apps.

Fingers & toes crossed but so far so good!!

Worth a try IMO.

Best of luck, Ray

PS. The battery seems to have improved also....might be just me though

I was having the same problem for about a week. Phone would freeze every now and again. Using apps or generally just surfing , reading emails etc. Damned annoying. Then yesterday my phone went the full day without hanging. Today, touch wood, I have my precious phone back. Hasn't hanged once.

Didn't fancy rolling back firmware via Kies in case it hanged during download and I ended up with a lifeless brick. I uninstalled a couple of recent apps I'd downloaded a couple of days ago but it didn't make any difference to be honest.

May I suggest just hanging in on there. I was getting so frustrated I felt like throwing my phone through the window.

I've nearly had two days trouble free. I don't know what was causing the problem but it seems to have ironed itself out.

Before doing anything drastic, give it about a week, see what happens, give it chance.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else's phone righted after just persevering with it?

Alternatively if my phone starts up hanging again, I'll let you know...

I've posted this reply on another 'freezing' thread, thought I'd post here too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytwebb View Post
    Wait it out - I had the same problem and it seems to have solved itself.
    This worked for me too.
    Last edited by Yoof; 02-25-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added reply quote.

I had the same problem, i have a i9300 from iusacell and I read in other post that putting the Rom I9300XXEMB1 solves the problem. I had it flashed in the morning and i have all day working with the phone without any issue.

+1 for I9300XXEMB1 solving random freezes/reboots... there are 4 S3 in my workplace, all they bought same time and just mine was rebooting after 4.1.2 multiwindow update.

I9300XXEMB1 really solved my problems with Galaxy S3. i've downloaded it from here --->
    and followed this tutorial how to do it .
    24 hours and no freezes . Thanks !!!!
    Karim AbdelAziz likes this.

I hv the same trouble.... phone hangs, freezes and shuts down. .. I'm tired and frustrated.... pls help me with this. .

Try updating to XXEMB5.... I'm sure ull feel the difference and smoothness....

Sent from i9300 using Android Central.....

I'm having the same problem as everyone here. I had my S3 (blue O2) since last July. I turned on the "show all ANRs" in dev options and when the freeze happens, i waited until it became responsive, which is about 15mins. Afterwards the phone would function fine, but after each time it became responsive again, I received the message "facebook has stopped responding" and followed by "whatsapp has stopped responding". I'm wondering if those two apps are causing the freezes. The freeze also became more frequent after the new whatsapp update.

Shaun

I created an account here just to tell you that your fix was genius! It seems to have fixed my issue. My phone was locking up and freezing every 10 minutes (I'm being generous) and all I could do was hold down the power button to reboot it. Like everyone else I tried uninstalling apps to see if one of them was buggy after the 4.1.2 upgrade. Finally I tried turning WIFI off and tested it for a few hours - no freezes, but it also wasn't practical as I use the internet on my phone A LOT. As soon as I turned it back on you guessed it freeze! But using this little trick seems to have fixed it for now (fingers crossed) and I've even noticed an improvement in page load it seems to be a lot quicker now! So thank you.

Will keep you updated to let you know if this works permanently!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Lightful View Post
    I created an account here just to tell you that your fix was genius! It seems to have fixed my issue. My phone was locking up and freezing every 10 minutes (I'm being generous) and all I could do was hold down the power button to reboot it. Like everyone else I tried uninstalling apps to see if one of them was buggy after the 4.1.2 upgrade. Finally I tried turning WIFI off and tested it for a few hours - no freezes, but it also wasn't practical as I use the internet on my phone A LOT. As soon as I turned it back on you guessed it freeze! But using this little trick seems to have fixed it for now (fingers crossed) and I've even noticed an improvement in page load it seems to be a lot quicker now! So thank you.

Will keep you updated to let you know if this works permanently!

What exactly soloution solved (fingers crossed) your problem?

Thid fixed my ohone aswell. I went to the Telstra shop Cranbourne an saw Peter
    He fixed it in 5 min of changing the settings etc. One was also allow data roamong.
    Hope this is some help.
    Regards Greg

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

Is anybody having these freeze problems from stock roms? I am not having these problems and was just curious.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

I started having these problems about 10 days/ 2weeks ago and they've just been getting worse. My phone either freezes on the currect screen or when the screen's locked. It also seems to restart itself every now and then - I presume when the software realises it's got tied in a knot and reboots itself.

Now a few people have mentioned WhatsApp and I remembered I had installed the new update a few weeks ago, so I was just wondering if anyone else who's having this problem also had WhatsApp installed?

Unfortunately though I also bout my Blue S3 last May and so if it is a hardware fault it could well be one of the bad batch.

Anyone discovered any surefire means of solving the problem?

I ve had my Blue S3 for 10 months on the Three network, had ALL the freezing issues others on here have had, and tried ALL the same fixes others on here have tried, to no avail!
    I finally sent it back to Three last week, i told the Indian call center staff the freezing and rebooting issue on the phone, and also included a letter to explain all this when i returned the phone to Three.
    The error report in the My3 section described the fault as a pixel error and screen fault. (neither of which I thought it was), however they replaced the motherboard and sent me it back, (Special delivery, within 3 days)!
    It was fine all day at work, came home connected to my wifi and BOOM screen freezes, then proceeded to reboot, and freeze on me while on calls.
    Luckily as well as the 12 month warranty with Samsung, Three also give you an extra year to cover the 24 month contract.
    So i am gonna return it till they fix it or give me a new handset, pref a white one!
    I picked the postal return method for quickness, but if you take it in store to Three you can get a loan phone while its away, I ve also filmed the problem on the OH's phone and will show them this video to explain EXACTLY whats happening!
    Up until the last 2 weeks i ve also had a problem free S3 experience. (My patience is wearing thin)!!

Type *#0011# then touch the menu button, choose WIFI, then you will see Power saving mode is ON, touch it to make it OFF. It will help you. Also note that this fix work until you restart your phone, if you restart it for any reason you need to re do it
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast