Boot loop during firmware update

CForeman

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy s3 has been updating its firmware. For 8 hours. Yep, 8 hours. HELP!
At about 18.40 local time I got a message talking about multiple firmware updates that were pending. I clicked "Update now", chose a time for updates to be fixed (right then) and then said "Yes" it was ok that the phone would restart.
It restarted straight away. I got a screen that has a little green android with a blue hexagon thingy coming out of it's tummy that spins and such, while a blue bar underneath (with numerical percentage) showed the update progress. I put the phone in my pocket to carry on with what I was doing. 8 hours later, it's still updating. The bar gets to 100% pretty quickly. then the phone turns itself off, waits 2 seconds then turns itself on (I see the Samsung logo), only to start the bar at 0%. It then proceeds to load, turn off and turn on (rinse and repeat!). The whole process takes about a minute or so.
The battery was at 60 or 70% when I first clicked "update now" but is now completely drained and only works when connected to an outlet. I'm planning on leaving it to "update" while I sleep (current time is 2.40am) but I don't reckon anything will have changed when I get up.

Any tips?
I've spoken to Samsung's US live chat (only available in the US and no other country.. what?!) and they've done everything they seem to be able to do. I've tried Hard reset (nothing happens when I hold the buttons) though if I hold power/home/DOWNvolume I get an OS reset page thingy. Doesn't work if I hole UPvolume/both though..
I've downloaded Kies and tried doing it that way, but the computer doesn't recognise that the phone's been connected as it's not turned on. Trying to update without a wire is fruitless because it wants the phone in hard reset mode.. Which I can't get to! Holding the off button just turns it off. And then it starts itself up again to update..

This is totally doing my nut. The phone was only bought in November and have had no problem with it apart from the last week or so when it's crashed once or twice, but that may be due to my AVG app usage (started after I installed AVG). I feel kind of dumb for not reading through all the text that was in the pop-up I got, but I never have done and have never had a problem, although while I've been trying to google for advice or other people with the same problem, I don't seem to find any Android update that was scheduled to come out at this point in time, so.. :-\

I'm only a student so this is a big thing as it cost so darn much to buy and is now messing about. Please help me! :( :( :(

Edit;
(To clarify - US live chat wasn't too much help as they freak when I tell them my phone's model number is GT-I9300 and not SGH-T999. they apparently "Don't have the knowledge to work with non-US phones" so then refer me to some FAQ that is of NO use at all).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12