- 8 Posts
Need help with rooting
Hi I just got my s3 nearly a month ago. I want to root my phone but I don't know where to begin. I would also like to know what exactly does rooting your phone do ? Can someone please help.
I would also like to know what some of these things mean:
1) What is ROM and what does it do ?
2) What does it mean by flash counter ?
3) What should I do before rooting my phone ?
4) After I root my phone what should I do then ?
- 08-12-2013, 12:38 PM #2
Re: Need help with rooting
Rooting gives you access to areas of the device specifically "/system/" level areas that the OEM/carriers lock down. Yes it does void your warranty but only while in the rooted state. That is why there is normally a restore to stock method in the event you no longer want to be rooted or need to have the device serviced/sold.
To answer your questions..
1. A ROM is a unofficial version of the official OS. These are created by popular ROM developers like Cyanogen Mod team or AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) and others based off the official OS code and modified to their own standards. They are fun, normally very stable and offer many cool mods in the form of user selectable/customizable options over stock.
2. Flash counter is put in by the OEM to keep a count of how many times you have " flashed " the device. In other words, specifically Samsung devices whenever you use the app " Odin " which is used to flash the device to gain root access or flash custom software it counts as a " flash " on the flash counter. There are work arounds and hacks to reset this.
3. Before rooting, make sure you have backed up any pictures, music, etc. from your device in the event it is erased. Also make sure all your contacts, calendar, etc are sync'd properly with Google & your Gmail account so it can be retrieved after the rooting process has been completed.
4. After you root it is up to you what you want to do. Some use root on the stock OS so they can tether for free. Others use it to remove the OEM/carrier bloatware. Then you have custom ROMs which can be flashed too.
Best thing to do is read and research the methods & terminology associated with rooting and ROMs so you are more comfortable and informed before attempting the process. You do that and you will have a much safer and successful experience.
- 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM #4
Re: Need help with rooting
My suggestion I've always stuck by is grab a few of the most popular that catch your eye and give each one a few days test drive and see what you like. That is the beauty behind custom ROMs and the ability to backup and restore all your information using various 3rd party apps for rooted devices like Titanium Backup to make changing your custom ROM easy and pain free
- By killsburydouboy in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 9Last Post: 11-02-2013, 10:23 PM
- By ItsChaii_28 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 13Last Post: 08-12-2013, 01:58 PM
- By pocrel in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
- By jose3456 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2Replies: 0Last Post: 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM
- By Jeffrey99 in forum Google Nexus 7 (2012) Rooting, ROMs, & HacksReplies: 2Last Post: 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM