Random reboots, S3

Gnabxx

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Problem: Random freezing, reboots and shutdown on a Samsung Galaxy s3

Description: My problem first started about 2 weeks ago when suddenly my phone had shutdown by itself over night (the charger was attached so it was not because of empty battery).
Since then it has been freezing, shut down and restarted atleast once but up to 4 or 5 times daily without any pattern that I can find.
the phone can restart by itself, sometimes when it is in my pocket, sometimes when I am using it and sometimes when it i just lying around, beeing charged or not.
I can also randomly freeze in the same scenarios as written above.

Trying to solve this:
Firstly I tried to do a factory data reset and all seemed fine for almost a day, and right about when I had gotten all my apps and settings back to how I wanted it it all started again. I let this happend a few times before I ruled out that it was still the same problem.
Secondly I did a Hard reset without any luck and that is where I am today.

Things that have come to mind:
As I first thought it was some kind of software error I tried the resets but since that did not work I tried to figure out what could be wrong instead.
I have read firstly that sometimes, something silly as disabling the automatic brightness could help, but that did not do the trick.
Sometimes the battery causes glitches because it has swelled, but it also looks good.
Next I was thinking that it might be the some water damage but the moisture detection stickers looks good aswell.
Finally my thoughts went to something called the "sudden death syndrome" being caused by a low quality Flash memory (eMMC chip).
Using an app I found out that I have the "insane chip" as they call it, but this should be fixed when running Android 4.1.2 which is the one I am running so even there I felt like I hit a brick wall.

The phone us just over 1 year old and the compilation is: JZ054K.I9300XXELLA

What my question is now is what I am suppose to do next?

Should i try to root the phone and run some custom rom instead? Which I rather not do for obvious reasons.

Can an app really cause a complete shutdown of the system? This seems abit far fetched aswell.

Please help as I am going nuts over this.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Problem: Random freezing, reboots and shutdown on a Samsung Galaxy s3

Description: My problem first started about 2 weeks ago when suddenly my phone had shutdown by itself over night (the charger was attached so it was not because of empty battery).
Since then it has been freezing, shut down and restarted atleast once but up to 4 or 5 times daily without any pattern that I can find.
the phone can restart by itself, sometimes when it is in my pocket, sometimes when I am using it and sometimes when it i just lying around, beeing charged or not.
I can also randomly freeze in the same scenarios as written above.

Trying to solve this:
Firstly I tried to do a factory data reset and all seemed fine for almost a day, and right about when I had gotten all my apps and settings back to how I wanted it it all started again. I let this happend a few times before I ruled out that it was still the same problem.
Secondly I did a Hard reset without any luck and that is where I am today.

Things that have come to mind:
As I first thought it was some kind of software error I tried the resets but since that did not work I tried to figure out what could be wrong instead.
I have read firstly that sometimes, something silly as disabling the automatic brightness could help, but that did not do the trick.
Sometimes the battery causes glitches because it has swelled, but it also looks good.
Next I was thinking that it might be the some water damage but the moisture detection stickers looks good aswell.
Finally my thoughts went to something called the "sudden death syndrome" being caused by a low quality Flash memory (eMMC chip).
Using an app I found out that I have the "insane chip" as they call it, but this should be fixed when running Android 4.1.2 which is the one I am running so even there I felt like I hit a brick wall.

The phone us just over 1 year old and the compilation is: JZ054K.I9300XXELLA

What my question is now is what I am suppose to do next?

Should i try to root the phone and run some custom rom instead? Which I rather not do for obvious reasons.

Can an app really cause a complete shutdown of the system? This seems abit far fetched aswell.

Please help as I am going nuts over this.
First, welcome to the forums.
Second, you can try to clear cache in recovery. Here is how:http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Gnabxx

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank!

There is something magic about asking for help on a forum, because before I wrote my post I had somewehere 30-50 random reboots under my belt, and after asking for help, not a single one for a few days... Guess I'll wait and see if the magic of just asking for help is enough.