Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Try this as an S3 4.3 work around

S3 4.3 work around. The problem seems to be due to memory usage. The 3.0.31 kernel is relatively inefficient space wise, so 4.3 uses more memory. There is a process called kswapd0 which swaps process out of memory to the sd card swap space. That's it's job, make more free memory by moving relatively inactive process to swap. The process, to use an old term, thrashes if the free memory is less than ~150MB. It moves processes constantly back and forth. This thrashing uses cpu time and power. That's why the biggest power user is the OS and not the screen (which is the normal power muncher). This is why some people are reporting no problems with 4.3, they have enough headroom memory wise. This is probably why the S4 is ok with it. So if you disable active apps that you don't need and free up 200MB say, you get a quick smooth S3. No big wakeup delay, no eat the battery and no high bit rate MP3 playback stutter when the screen is locked. The kitkat kernel is a lot more efficient with space, so would solve this problem. Once Samsung tweaks kswapd0 or uses the kitkat kernel (if that's possible), to fix 4.3, you can goto 'app manager', 'disabled apps' and enable them all again, provided there is enough headroom in the Samsung fix that is.

Check out Samsung GS3 4.3 OTA/KIES Update Problems - Samsung - Android phones TonkleChicken he/she put me on to this and after I investigated, I agreed.

It doesn't fix the download notification bug however. I worked round this by disabling the download manager notifications. Not perfect I know, no down load notifications any more. If you want to do this tap and hold down the repeating notification, an 'app info' tab will appear. Tap this tab and your in the 'app manager' at the correct process, the 'download manager'. Uncheck show notifications. You can enable this again when Samsung fix it.

Hope that helps. Don't blame me if it doesn't, I didn't release 4.3.
    Last edited by kh20000; 11-17-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 

Global Posts
    8,890 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Try this as an S3 4.3 work around

No replies, yet this thread is "trending now." XD
    Try this as an S3 4.3 work around-trending-now.png
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well a few days have gone by now and my battery life is almost back to 4.1.2 drain levels. I say almost because ‘google services’ is sucking up more than before. Basically my screen is now the main power drain again. This is an unrooted international phone, running the official Samsung 4.3 update.

I am now experimenting with tuning off ‘location’ in google settings. I have a suspicion that the location service is doing something odd with regard to power consumption but can’t pin down what or when yet.

Things I have disabled in ‘Application manager’ are:

Clocks (funky & modern)
    Dual clocks (all of them)
    Com.samsung.music
    Com.sec.android.app.gamehub
    Com.sec.pcw
    Favourite apps
    Google+
    Hangouts
    S Voice
    Samsung apps
    S memo
    Samsung S memo syncAdapter
    S suggest
    ChatON
    Paper Artist

“Running” processes in ‘Application manager’ are

Factory test
    Settings
    Software update
    SmartcardService
    Weather daemon
    Google services
    Dropbox
    Remote controls
    Email
    Exchange service
    Simple Alarm clock
    Video player
    Backup
    Com.sec.android.app.keyguardClockWidgetService
    ELM Agent
    PageBuddyNotiSvc
    Samsung keyboard
    Windy weather (yes a live wallpaper running as well)

With the above services in use, I have around 200MB free. Yes you can cut more from the running list but I didn’t need too.
    My battery gives me more than 24 hours of normal use now. Touchwiz seems to be very quick and responsive, no playback stutter, no wi-fi dropout, no lock screen delay, no unexpected shutdowns or lockups.

The biggest problems I had when I first updated to 4.3 were, battery life (8 hours if I was lucky), mp3 playback stutter when sleeping, lock screen delay varying from 2sec to 20sec.

It is a pity that the user has to go to the trouble of making free memory available, to get a useable phone. With enough free memory for processes to run in, Samsung 4.3 seems to be fine. Without that headroom your phones function is crippled. kswapd0 not thrashing, really seems to help.

I know this is not a fix, but it does give you a working phone again. It has for me anyway. I hope it does for you.

Worked for me!

I managed to fix the download notification issue by clearing the cache and data for both the the Download manager and Downloads apps.

Just replying to this to say thanks for putting us on to this - I'll be testing this out over the next few days as one of the major problems I've had since the 4.3 update is my music skipping when playing both from the native samsung player (music on my SD card), and downloaded spotify tracks (stored on the device itself). Clearing the ram smooths out the phone's performance anyways, but if the music starts skipping i'll try it straight off and report back if it helps. The skipping does seem to occur more often when I'm playing music over bluetooth as well, no idea why but just plugging in headphones encourages better performance playback wise.

Second lokibaz's solution for the download notification as well btw, works a treat.

Haven't had any of the battery drain issues others have reported, but the phone has definately been hesitant to wake sometimes, which will often coincide with music skipping, leads me to believe the two are related../

Well after a few days I'm afraid I'm still having problems. The music skipping is definitely worse when I'm running through a bluetooth headset, seems to be fine for a while then starts skipping - does that for about a minute then back to smooth. Clearing the RAM does help, the phone is more responsive after clearing and music skipping is absent for a while. I'm going to try matching kh20000's list of disabled apps and see if that helps. Still, the two major problems I'm consistently encountering are the home screen being slow to wake (I don't have a lock screen enabled), and music skipping. My battery life seems fine. Still hoping Samsung will roll out a fix for this soon, my S3 has always had the occasional skip when playing music but this is getting ridiculous!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for that, notification issue gone. Just clearing the cache for Download manager and Downloads apps work.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I can't give any help with regard to the bluetooth headset, I don't use one. The only problem I've had is an unresponsive screen when I plugged in to recharge once. The battery was at about 2%. The power button still worked and a power cycle fixed it. So not perfect but the only issue that I have had since making more free ram.

Having locations off in google helps with power usage but that isn't a big surprise, less gps usage.

The US versions of the S3 have different hardware plus 2GB of ram, so it doesn't surprise me that they are not experiencing the same problems. More ram plus different build. Don't know if the bluetooth and wifi hardware is the same or not.

Either way, Touchwiz seems to be quicker than in 4.1.2 but that could just be down to the fact that I am asking my S3 to do less. Not a real comparison if I can't run the same number of process/apps.

I will keep an eye out for any bluetooth solutions!

Since I have updated I have had all the issues. My s3 has turned into a blackberry! !!!! Argghhhh

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AC Forums mobile app

Ok, the music skipping and slow screen wake are definitely connected. I've intermittently been having problems with listing to downloaded (not streaming) tracks on spotify skipping and dragging. I then get my phone out of my pockets (accompanied by swearing at it) and hit the screen wake button - the phone either then takes a about 5 - 10 seconds to wake, or doesn't at all and i have to hit the button a few more times. Shortly after the screen wakes the music stops skipping. I still go a clear the RAM, but the problem has reoccurred shortly after doing that once or twice.

Its got to be a memory usage problem to be honest, I'm imagining a background process kicking in when the screen is off which is dragging the phone to a halt but as to which particular process it is I have no idea.

When its awake though the phone is definitely a bit faster in general use. Which is nice. At least. (looks at CM10 again....)

Hi, I am new to this site. I have been looking for a workaround. I was in IT for many years, but now retired! The problems of slow wake-up and the music drop-outs are really annoying me. I listen to classical music a lot and these random gaps are more annoying than coughing during live performances! The 4.3 update has made me hate the S3!

It has all the classic signs of a memory management problem, with a data stack filling up and not being cleared until some limit is reached. It would appear to be a code error or sloppy programming. I even wondered whether the automatic updates to Google Play Music, or the Samsung app had caused it, in combination with the 4.3 update. So I disabled all of them, but the problem still arises, see last para?

Although I use the app Poweramp player, version 2.0.9 (build 534) full version, as my music player, it must use the basic code for music playback built in to the S3. I use this because it has a far better front end GUI on the whole thing (including lovely coloured surrounds around album art, taken from the colours in the actual album cover showing, very beautiful to my eye). It must use some of the code in the Samsung as Poweramp suffers exactly the same annoying drop-outs.

I have tried disabling the apps list in the previous posts, and yes, there seems to be less drop-outs. But they still occur and mainly just after I return the S3 from "screen off" state. I will follow this thread and report any other ideas, as you do seem to be onto something! Thank you.
    Last edited by Fingerstoo; 11-29-2013 at 11:19 AM.

I know this is only a small thing but the alarm on my phone has stopped working! Was nearly late for work as i hadnt gone off. Argggghhhhhhhhhh. Need to look for another alarm app.
    I am waiting for samsung to release a fix so i can get my s3 back to its normal state. No point in putting all my sound etc back n when all i will do is reset after the new update.
    Please hurry up samsung!!

Not sure that we have a proper workaround? After extensive testing, the music still skips but not often. It is definitely a memory management problem, since when playing music the whole phone seems sluggish, as if the processor and memory are tied up with the music processing. I got some really long and random drop-outs followed by a delivery of several delayed emails which had obviously been downloaded when within wifi range and then not signalled as delivered until there was a pause in the music playing, between tracks. Then as the new track started there was a plague of drop-outs followed by the delivery notification sound! And then the music resumed with muiltiple short drop-outs. The only way to reduce them was to stop and restart them.

I find that Android's method of not properly exiting apps, even though you think you have fully closed them, is annoying and leads to a whole pile of apps just sitting there, probably hogging memory and a slight processor load while it checks whether they are to be restarted! Closing lots of still open apps usually means less music drop-outs and a slightly quicker restart from sleep.

This thread has gone quiet!

4.3 update is now being rolled out again from today for the international phones. going to download later on. Says all the bugs have been fixed.

No sign of the fix update here (UK) on my unlocked S3.

I was not aware that there was a new version of that horrid program, Kies 3, that is necessary for S3's that are already updated to 4.3, like mine. Kies 3 does appear faster but refused to do a backup of some categories of my files, as did the previous version. And took ages to tell me that, and no help to sort out why! Same mess, different code....

Tried OTA update on phone (no service, number of downloads exceeded message) and via the dreaded Kies 3 ( says the version I have is up to date i.e. no fix)> So nothing there yet.

Will keep trying and hoping!

Yea mine is like yours unbranded. They reported on here that there was an update that was rolled out. I tried downloading kies but it crashed every time I opened it.

I got the update this morning.

Got mine this morning too by OTA on the phone (don't trust that Kies rubbish!). Haven't had time for extensive testing but it does wake up from sleep faster, just as it used to do on 4.1.

I do so hope the music drop-outs have gone. I will be testing this during today and will report back.

Yep. Wake up so much better. I am testing the music now and again all seems good. The phone to me seems to be alot quicker to.

This thread could now be closed as I have extensively thrashed the new build and Samsung have got it sorted out now! No need for any workarounds!

There are NO music dropouts anymore. I agree that the phone appears to be faster in all respects, especially the startup time from wakeup, but menu selections too etc.

I just hope that the predicted 4.4 update doesn't have new issues!? But Samsung should have learned a lesson or two with 4.3 update,eh?

Yep totally agree mate.