Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pne1234
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the UK Galaxy S3 compatible with Spot Mobile in the U.S.?

i have a samsung galaxy s3 unlocked in the UK. i will be in America from july to November so i want to be able to use my s3 over there. the carrier which is good for my phone is Spot Mobile. the trouble i have is that the sim card states that the phone needs to be on 1700mhz for hsdpa+ and 4g but according to the specs of the phones it doesnt support this. surely this cant be correct. i used a 4-5 year old arc s and it worked in america now a modern phone from the past 2 years wont get 3/4g network. is this correct or am i overlooking something. i would like some feedback from this. thanks.

Global Posts
    13,776 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default re: Is the UK Galaxy S3 compatible with Spot Mobile in the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by pne1234 View Post
    i have a samsung galaxy s3 unlocked in the UK. i will be in America from july to November so i want to be able to use my s3 over there. the carrier which is good for my phone is Spot Mobile. the trouble i have is that the sim card states that the phone needs to be on 1700mhz for hsdpa+ and 4g but according to the specs of the phones it doesnt support this. surely this cant be correct. i used a 4-5 year old arc s and it worked in america now a modern phone from the past 2 years wont get 3/4g network. is this correct or am i overlooking something. i would like some feedback from this. thanks.
    I am not exactly sure, myself. I looked at Wikipedia, and according to that site, there is no bands that match your device in America for 4G. 3G should be ok with either Tmobile or AT&T.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost forgot the wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

Spot Mobile . Based on you're looking at 1900MHz HSPA+ in considerably large markets and 1700MHz HSPA+ in the rest. Spot Mobile doesn't provide LTE service on the T-Mobile network, so it's just those two.

From the :

EDGE / GPRS (850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHZ)
    HSPA+21 (850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100)

Two of Spot Mobile's requirements are there, in bold. The one missing is 1700MHz HSPA+, which means you'll only have HSPA+ data if you're in one of T-Mobile's 1900MHz markets.
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 01-21-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

thanks so much, im not really that concerned about not using 4g but at least i can use 3g. thanks.

Global Posts
    13,776 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by pne1234 View Post
    thanks so much, im not really that concerned about not using 4g but at least i can use 3g. thanks.
    On behalf of Patrick, you are welcome. Hope that helps.

Enjoy your time in America. Where will you be going?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.