Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery life terrible since 4.3 update

Hi, I've joined this forum especially to discuss this really annoying problem, I updated my s3 to android 4.3 last Friday and the battery life is now awful! I am a high user anyway and never really got through a full day previously but I'm now having to plug my phone in by lunch time, what I've essentially got now is a land line!!! I charged it to about 85% at 3pm and with some very light use it's now down to 38%. Tomorrow I will be out all day until 3pm and am concerned by battery just won't last that long, how can Samsung roll out an update with such horrendous issues. I like all of the new features the new update has brought with it but not whatever is killing my battery!!! I've tried a battery pull but do not want to spend all day doing a factory reset and using up my data downloading all of my apps again when from what I can gather it won't make the slightest bit of difference anyway!!

It's worth noting that my MIL updated her phone about a week before me but doesn't seem to have experienced the problem to such an extent as I have!!

Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know if android intend to roll out a fix for this or am I essentially now stuck with a landline until 4.4?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Battery life terrible since 4.3 update

Quote Originally Posted by MrsJenSmall666 View Post
    Hi, I've joined this forum especially to discuss this really annoying problem, I updated my s3 to android 4.3 last Friday and the battery life is now awful! I am a high user anyway and never really got through a full day previously but I'm now having to plug my phone in by lunch time, what I've essentially got now is a land line!!! I charged it to about 85% at 3pm and with some very light use it's now down to 38%. Tomorrow I will be out all day until 3pm and am concerned by battery just won't last that long, how can Samsung roll out an update with such horrendous issues. I like all of the new features the new update has brought with it but not whatever is killing my battery!!! I've tried a battery pull but do not want to spend all day doing a factory reset and using up my data downloading all of my apps again when from what I can gather it won't make the slightest bit of difference anyway!!

It's worth noting that my MIL updated her phone about a week before me but doesn't seem to have experienced the problem to such an extent as I have!!

Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know if android intend to roll out a fix for this or am I essentially now stuck with a landline until 4.4?
    Welcome to Android Central
    Posting a screenshot of your battery stats would be very helpful. Like you said, it's not affecting everyone so seeing what exactly is draining your battery could be more useful in fixing the drain

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    22,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

These are the shots we are looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery life terrible since 4.3 update-1391462972251.jpg   Battery life terrible since 4.3 update-1391462992879.jpg   Battery life terrible since 4.3 update-1391463008832.jpg  

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    UJ95x likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

This seems to say that my screen is using a lot of battery but I have the brightness turned right down and after a quick charge earlier I lost 6% in half an hour while the screen was idle, I've lost 15% while downloading this app and replying to this message!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery life terrible since 4.3 update-1391464594171.jpg   Battery life terrible since 4.3 update-1391464628200.jpg   Battery life terrible since 4.3 update-1391464644124.jpg  

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Your first screenshot shows only 1 bar. Having bad service has a big effect on battery life, so that probably plays a big part in it.
    I don't see any unusual amounts of battery usage by Android OS or Google services, which is usually the issue in cases like this

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

And it's now gone down to this is just over an hour, when I'm actually using the phone for browsing etc it seems to be draining at around 1% a minute!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery life terrible since 4.3 update-1391467078975.jpg  

Global Posts
    22,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Your screen shot of the graph shows a nice gap in signal. Did you put it in airplane mode to save battery or are you constantly in a weak cell area?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Global Posts
    22,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Also, try turning the brightness down a little.

Phone Timeline
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I did put it in aeroplane mode, I do this sometimes when it's charging to get a quicker charge but I am also in a weak signal area at home. The screen brightness is turned down as far as it will go already, I always have it as low as I possibly can.

Global Posts
    22,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I did put it in aeroplane mode, I do this sometimes when it's charging to get a quicker charge but I am also in a weak signal area at home. The screen brightness is turned down as far as it will go already, I always have it as low as I possibly can.

I think your cell signal issue is your biggest concern then.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Last night I downloaded battery doctor and set it to kill certain apps, I also retricted the background data for facebook, twitter and several other apps then performed a battery pull. I charged the phone overnight and from 7:30 this morning until now I have only used 40% of my battery, this is actually better then before I updated the software!!

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Last night I downloaded battery doctor and set it to kill certain apps, I also retricted the background data for facebook, twitter and several other apps then performed a battery pull. I charged the phone overnight and from 7:30 this morning until now I have only used 40% of my battery, this is actually better then before I updated the software!!

Facebook is a known battery killer. I had that set to update manually instead of over a certain interval. Anyway, glad you got that sorted out