Backing up an official firmware

HarryDevice

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 running 4.1.2 and I have installed a rom and I really want to flash it because it offers many amazing features. I want to backup my current 4.1.2 firmware because sometimes my phone crashes while flashing roms. Is there free/paid application that I can backup everything in the phone (everything)? If so, what's the name of it? Paid/free, doesn't matter.

Many thanks,
Harry. :p

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you've flashed a custom ROM then more likely than not you also have custom Recovery software installed (CWM and TWRP are the two most common). You can use that to make an image (commonly referred to as a Nandroid) of the phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

HarryDevice

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If you've flashed a custom ROM then more likely than not you also have custom Recovery software installed (CWM and TWRP are the two most common). You can use that to make an image (commonly referred to as a Nandroid) of the phone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
I have a custom recovery installed (CWM) and it's not the latest version, how can I update it?
Answer this question please, and answer the second one: how to backup an official firmware while having a custom recovery? (The device isn't rooted) but I still have the CWM recovery, I still can flash roms right?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a custom recovery installed (CWM) and it's not the latest version, how can I update it?
Answer this question please, and answer the second one: how to backup an official firmware while having a custom recovery? (The device isn't rooted) but I still have the CWM recovery, I still can flash roms right?

You can update cwm recovery using ROM manager. Another option is to replace cwm with twrp, which seems to work better on my S3 and other devices.

To create a backup in cwm or twrp go to backup section and select everything you want to backup. After that confirm backup. You should get a message when nandroid backup is done.

--edit--

Just read the last part about not being rooted. As long as the bootloader is unlocked you can flash ROMs. However, you won't be able to back everything up without root access.

Sent from my G2 running PAC-ROM

Last edited:

HarryDevice

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
You can update cwm recovery using ROM manager. Another option is to replace cwm with twrp, which seems to work better on my S3 and other devices.

To create a backup in cwm or twrp go to backup section and select everything you want to backup. After that confirm backup. You should get a message when nandroid backup is done.

--edit--

Just read the last part about not being rooted. As long as the bootloader is unlocked you can flash ROMs. However, you won't be able to back everything up without root access.

Thanks for answering, but is there a way to check my bootloader..? Unlocked or not? And where's the backup section?

Edit: I can root my device through Framaroot, right? My current device is 'Galaxy S3 I9300'
Is Framaroot a real application that roots the device or just fake?

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answering, but is there a way to check my bootloader..? Unlocked or not? And where's the backup section?

Edit: I can root my device through Framaroot, right? My current device is 'Galaxy S3 I9300'
Is Framaroot a real application that roots the device or just fake?

The i9300 has an unlocked bootloader.

Backup in CWM

Boot CWM recovery>backup and restore>backup to sdcard (internal storage) or backup to external_sd>yes backup

Should take a few minutes to complete backup. If necessary you can restore the backup from CWM by selecting restore from sdcard or external_sd depending on where you put the backup.

Framaroot is a legit root method that's compatible with the i9300. Go to xda developers thread on framaroot for i9300 to see which version you need to use.

HarryDevice

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The i9300 has an unlocked bootloader.

Backup in CWM

Boot CWM recovery>backup and restore>backup to sdcard (internal storage) or backup to external_sd>yes backup

Should take a few minutes to complete backup. If necessary you can restore the backup from CWM by selecting restore from sdcard or external_sd depending on where you put the backup.

Framaroot is a legit root method that's compatible with the i9300. Go to xda developers thread on framaroot for i9300 to see which version you need to use.

Yeah my GT-I9300 is compatible with Framaroot, but is that CWM backup enough? I don't want to get into troubles with my phone, because it's the third time. The CWM backup will backup the whole phone, such as firmware, contacts, photos and music, right?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah my GT-I9300 is compatible with Framaroot, but is that CWM backup enough? I don't want to get into troubles with my phone, because it's the third time. The CWM backup will backup the whole phone, such as firmware, contacts, photos and music, right?

CWM will backup everything on the phone. You might want to save it to external SD card and computer so you have multiple copies of the backup.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000