Lost Messages Feature

eehcnas

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
woke up this morning to poorly functioning S3 and after reboot lost all messages (even locked ones) plus the messaging and mobile data settings. didn't do any updates yesterday so I guess it's a feature? anyone else had similar and can offer some guidance?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Since your phone is acting squirrely anyway you might as well perform a Factory Reset and get a fresh start. You should also boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache.

As far as your missing SMS - sorry, no way to get that back that I'm aware of.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

eehcnas

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
i presume i should back up all my apps beforehand? what about the sd card? best to take it out or leave it in? today's bonus round included missing apps (the ones that were moved to SD card) and removal of all widgets from my home screen, yet all the SD card files (photos,downloads,etc) function ok.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Normally you don't have to take the SD card out when you're performing a Factory Reset, but since you're on such a roll it's probably safer to do so.

You may also want to make a backup of the contents of the SD card to your computer or the cloud - weird behavior involving the SD card is often the first sign that the card is going to take a dump.

Regarding apps - unless you're concerned with keeping your Candy Crush Saga game progress (and you're going to use an app like Helium to backup your app data) I wouldn't bother making a backup. I prefer the fresh start experience. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

eehcnas

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
yeah, on it already - just dumping everything on the comp so we will see what tomorrow brings - hopefully a working phone ;) thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci