Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MonumentSquare
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Me, My Tab, My 'Bu

Part of the reason i chose the Tab over the iPad is because I am diving in to Linux. Using Ubuntu, of course. As a relative beginner in this land, that seemed tp be the best option. Any good tips on using the Tab with Linux, or Ubuntu specifically?

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB v0.6.1 (D), CM7 (N)

Default Re: Me, My Tab, My 'Bu

Quote Originally Posted by funruiner View Post
    Part of the reason i chose the Tab over the iPad is because I am diving in to Linux. Using Ubuntu, of course. As a relative beginner in this land, that seemed tp be the best option. Any good tips on using the Tab with Linux, or Ubuntu specifically?
    Yes, don't.

File transfer apparently is not working in Ubuntu right now, because Google decided to switch to that crappy MTP standard for Honeycomb:

It would have saved so much trouble if Google had just allowed an option to use the 'Mount as a hard drive' method like every other version of Android did, but they didn't. Hopefully someone will enable it in a ROM.
    Last edited by TuxDotKing; 07-09-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    -Motorola Droid 1 on Verizon
    -Nexus S on no network
    -White 32GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Since this is a Linux question, I hope I'm not too far off track with this: I'll now inherit my wife's Asus 1000 series netbook, since she has her new Tab, and am exploring using Linux on it. I'm not a techie, but can get along. There seem to be some different flavors, with Meego being one that claims to work well...any thoughts on that?
    Thanks.
    I'm assuming you have to leave XP on there and make it a dual boot? Or can you safely dump XP easily? I'd use it only for webbing on the couch via wifi, or creating a Word type doc for something.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by TuxDotKing View Post
    Yes, don't.

File transfer apparently is not working in Ubuntu right now, because Google decided to switch to that crappy MTP standard for Honeycomb:

It would have saved so much trouble if Google had just allowed an option to use the 'Mount as a hard drive' method like every other version of Android did, but they didn't. Hopefully someone will enable it in a ROM.
    That actuallt may better explain why my file transfer issue. I dont think i had tried to connect via USB in Windows, just Ubuntu.

Yes, don't.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I use Ubuntu on my desktop and it connects just fine with by SGT 10.1. I copied twenty full length movies to the Tab a couple weeks ago. Although I didn't time it, I don't remember it taking any more than ten minutes or so.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I would recommend booting from a flash drive first, for to test it out first.

mldiroff likes this.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB v0.6.1 (D), CM7 (N)

Quote Originally Posted by rcuswalk View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I use Ubuntu on my desktop and it connects just fine with by SGT 10.1. I copied twenty full length movies to the Tab a couple weeks ago. Although I didn't time it, I don't remember it taking any more than ten minutes or so.
    Well, you may be right. I haven't gotten mine to try it yet, but it seems like no one's admitted to having it working on XDA.

Zorro1, I'd try Ubuntu. MeeGo is a bit nonstandard as far as Linux distros go, though I'll admit I've never tried MeeGo on a computer. Also, you have the choice between dual booting or wiping XP, it depends on which you'd prefer.
    -Nexus S on no network

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB v0.6.1 (D), CM7 (N)

Quote Originally Posted by rcuswalk View Post
    You're right, it was automatically recognized. Maybe that XDA post was for I/O tabs only, idk. :?
    -Nexus S on no network

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock | Stock | CM9

You're right, it was automatically recognized. Maybe that XDA post was for I/O tabs only, idk. :?
    What version of Ubuntu and what architecture?

I have a laptop and a desktop both running 11.04 x64 and have had no luck. i have spent HOURS on it.
    Twitter: @neekoadams

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrawler View Post

I have a laptop and a desktop both running 11.04 x64 and have had no luck. i have spent HOURS on it.
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 x64 as well. For me it just hooks right up. I haven't done anything special to make it work -- at least not that I know of.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB v0.6.1 (D), CM7 (N)

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrawler View Post

Linux Mint 11 x64 here, which is based on Ubuntu 11.04. It was just plug and play, luckily and surprisingly enough. The only issues I've run into is that sometimes while transferring multiple files the Tab will randomly unmount itself, and mounting it slows my computer to a crawl... Do you have USB debugging enabled? If so, disable it.
    Last edited by TuxDotKing; 07-13-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    -Nexus S on no network