Xoom or Galaxy Tab?

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I realize similar threads have been posted before, but all were before the price drop in the Wifi Xoom and/or the release of the newest Galaxy tab --- so I'm trying to decide between the two.

I picked up a wifi Xoom at Staples while it was on sale for $450--but haven't opened it. I like that it comes with 32GB of storage and with today's OS update I would now have the SD card slot which would allow me to expand storage if need it. Hopefully, there will be other software fixes and tweaks.

The corresponding 32GB Galaxy Tab is $599, does not have an SD card slot, and may get OS updates slower than the Xoom since its not pure Google(at least when it gets TouchWiz). However, the form factor is gorgeous and the screen brightness blows the Xoom out of the water I must say. If felt like a quality piece of hardware.

I know this is a Galaxy Tab forum and so the responses will skew in favor of that device, but I'm still interested in your opinions.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems you have already noted to major differences, so it really is a decision based on what matters more to you: expandability or form factor.

Personally, form factor won out for me. My father-in-law and brother-in-law both have Xooms, and the weight and thickness differences stick out like a sore thumb. At dinner the other night I had my Tab and their Xooms sitting side by side on the table, and it was eye-opening for them. Plus, the screen difference is pretty dramatic too. The USB adapter is available for the Tab, so you can attach expandable storage that way. I'm looking forward to getting a wireless streaming HD for movies.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your response Kevin. Overall, I'd say the Galaxy Tab has better hardware. It seems to have the brightest screen of all the tablets.

One issue that I just discovered for me is that apparently its difficult to transfer files back and forth from the GT to a mac. I heard Samsung updated their transfer application, but that its in beta and not fully functional--you can't update firmware I heard (which is confusing since I thought all android devices receive OTA updates) So, Android File Transfer will not work with this tablet?

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
However, the form factor is gorgeous and the screen brightness blows the Xoom out of the water I must say.

Owned the XOOM, returned it to BB within the 14-day window. Waited ~1 mo for the SGT 10.1 to be released. Could not be happier with my decision. The points noted above were my PRIMARY driver. SD slot and price not a concern for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670