Want to watch Google Movies on your Tab? Here's How

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Note, this method will also work with rooted devices (including phones)

So my Galaxy Tab has a clean install of 3.1. I haven't attempted to root it yet. But for whatever reason, Google still hasn't made the Google Video's application available for me. This and the lack of netflix is more than a little frustrating.

I don't know why I didn't think of this until today, but our browsers have flash, so it is fully possible to watch these movies from within the browser.

First you'll need a movie. I found I can order movies through my phone (even though I can't play them in app since it is rooted). You can also order from the website.

1. Go to market.android.com and make sure you are signed in. Do not let it redirect you to the market app.

2. There should be a tab called "My Library" Click on that, and then click on the movies tab.

3. You should see the movie(s) you purchased. Select it and a black flash box will appear. Click to play and then select the "Full screen" option.. This is a youtube video, so it's found in the usual place. Your movie will take up the whole screen and you're good to go.

This also worked on my rooted Droid Incredible, so having root with not break this method.

It's still completely unacceptable (imo) that we don't have a native app for our devices by now. There is no reason the Xoom can run it and we can't other than there is some hold up either at Google (likely) or at Samsung. But in the meantime, at least there is this work around.

ptf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Genius!

Auto-corrected by my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk. Please exclaimed my terrors (This was auto-corrected from: Please excuse my errors).

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
This is a stream only option and not downloadable, right? If so it is a great suggestion if you have wifi access, but on a plane not so much. :)

jasonmh26

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this tip. In my quest to find more content and video sources, I also discovered that the Amazon Instant video store also works great on the 10.1. It is streaming, and you can set it to full screen mode, looks great.

Reactions: rebornr

dcdoes

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Well I tried Netflix via the browser and no luck.

BTW-this is my first post via my new Tab!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried Netflix via the browser and no luck.

BTW-this is my first post via my new Tab!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk

Try the full website of AC, works just fine for me. I have no need for tapatalk on my tab

sent to you in three dimensions

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I found this thread and tried it out and it works flawlessly! I never even thought to try this, and now I can actually watch a movie using my GTab.

Thanks for the info!!

mogo

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
The Netflix android app works just fine on my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Unrooted by the way, no funny stuff here. Just go to this link on your tab and download.

Can't take credit for this...I found this info in an AC comment thread.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
streaming only correct? I would like to be able to rent movies and watch them offline (on a plane) it seems until the google video app and new market video rentals become available for the GT there is nothing I can do..but try and decode and rip some netflix dvds and save them to the hard drive.. and I have to RMA my computer case due to a bad fan controller so il really out of luck :confused:

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Netflix isn't working on my 4G Tab 10.1 from Verizon but the Google Movies rental came pre-installed.

really? thats nuts. the 4g version comes with it and the wifi thats been out a while still has nothing. come on!
can you tell this is the only thing I really want on this device? in my mind it just needs this one thing and it will suite my needs..and I wont have an excuse to return it before my 14 days are up. :D

Big-Dave

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Is Doubletwist available for hineycomb? If so, you maybe able to watch movies that are stored on the device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For those of us without the VIDEOS application on our GTab 10.1, it looks as though it is because we have the "unlocked bootloaders". I am guessing that for all of us, when we turn on our devices, we have the little unlocked icon at the bottom?

What this means is that although we can play around with the ROMs, etc.... We will never get the VIDEOS application. I did some google searches and found this info.

I am assuming this would NOT prevent us from getting any other updates, correct?

Anyone know?

Can others confirm the unlocked bootloader issue for me?

Thanks.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
For those of us without the VIDEOS application on our GTab 10.1, it looks as though it is because we have the "unlocked bootloadenobgvbgfrs". I am guessing that for all of us, when we turn on our devices, we have the little unlocked icon at the bottom?

What this means is that although we can play around with the ROMs, etc.... We will never get the VIDEOS application. I did some google searches and found this info.

I am assuming this would NOT prevent us from getting any other updates, correct?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

No lock icon for me. First I'm hearing about the a locked bootloader on this device. And I don't believe that would have an effect on the video application.

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
For those of us without the VIDEOS application on our GTab 10.1, it looks as though it is because we have the "unlocked bootloaders". I am guessing that for all of us, when we turn on our devices, we have the little unlocked icon at the bottom?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

I have the unlocked symbol on my GT 10.1 and by God it better not prevent me from getting any updates because I bought it that way from Best Buy. I did nothing to the ROM, etc. Fully stock. If there is a rumor out there that says those with the unlock symbol will NOT get Google Videos in the Market, please someone confirm or deny with reasonable proof. Please....:(

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you perform a google search on the above info, you will find multiple threads detailing the lack of the 'Videos' application if you have an unlocked bootloader.

Again, I have no idea of the truth of this... Just passing along what I am reading.

veeja11

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to download a movie to the galaxy tab 3, bought one at google store but it dissapeared, going on a trip and want movie for plane ride