Slingbox PRO-HD vs. Solo

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping someone could help me with this. The PRO-HD will output HD but the SOLO does not. I have read on the HTC Thunderbolt forums that people couldn't really tell the difference in the picture quality between HD and standard. I have both the Thunderbolt and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and I primarily would use the Galaxy Tab with my thunderbolt serving the purpose of a mobile hotspot connection.

So do I spend the extra $120 to get the PRO-HD so I can watch 720p video on my tab?

P.S. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD through Comcast, which after some research I found will not output HDMI and Component at the same time. I believe if I have my tv off (which would be how I primarily use the sling box, when Im not home) that the inactive HDMI would allow the cable box to output HD through the component.

Thanks to anyone who has insight into this.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, if you're using any type of wireless connection to watch (whether it be LTE or 3G) the stream won't be HD, so you're better off going with the Solo.

I have the Solo personally, and the stream is quite good (when connected to a proper WiFi network). When watching on my desktop on my home network, it is pretty close to an HD picture

Srixun

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You may check out Pogoplug, I use that just because i have alot of movies on my hdd. Works like a charm, Android apps and iOS apps, and you can get em for $50 at best buy.

--Edit

Nevermind, Im talking abouty stored video, you want to stream tv. My mistake.

edgar.nalchad

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
There is a big difference in picture quality when comparing Pro HD and Solo. However, which device you use wont make a difference if your internet connection speed (both upload and download) is not high enough.

You must have a network connection to your Slingbox PRO-HD with sustained upload speed of at least 2 Mbps for a good streaming experience. You can stream over your home network or over the Internet, as long as you have the required bandwidth.

Most ISP's do not include a 2 Mbps upload speed in their standard packages. Check with your ISP and make sure that you meet the requirements before purchasing the Pro HD. You can also visit an internet speed test website to check the speed of your upload/download. You can do a search on google for internet speed test.

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Pro-HD here. Works great on the tablet. Streaming to my Android phone is a bit choppy, especially in shots with lots of action (like basketball).

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Pro-HD here. Works great on the tablet. Streaming to my Android phone is a bit choppy, especially in shots with lots of action (like basketball).
I have the solo and get a great picture on my SGT when in the same household as the slingbox.
I did some checking into the Pro-HD version. They state that you need a consistent 3Mb/s throughput to be able to get a HD picture. So, if you're outside you're home that's going to be hard to get.

redskinsnut

May 20, 2011
Visit site

You say it is a bit choppy. What phone do you have? I have the Charge and am thinking about buying a Solo. Do you recommend buying if I am using only on my phone?

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
You say it is a bit choppy. What phone do you have? I have the Charge and am thinking about buying a Solo. Do you recommend buying if I am using only on my phone?
Samsung Fascinate.

For normal tv/movies, I'd say 3G provides enough performance to keep up. My main use is for watching NBA when I am out of town, and the game is not on one of the networks. I am able to pick up the local broadcast.

NBA has LOTS of motion, which affects performance = choppy video on 3G. I can degrade the PQ to get better frame rate, but then the video is very pixellated.

wnrussell3

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Works great on my Xoom and Bionic. Next step, get TV and Video on demand to my Bimmer.

xoom2.png

bakerja

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have pro-hd and use it with a TIVO HD. Works great! I've primarily used it with a laptop around the house for watching a ball game in the back yard, etc. HD quality was a must have for around the house use but it also works well from my office. It works well on my Epic 4G as well, don't think it is HD on the phone but looks really good. I just ordered the SGT and it will arrive this week so will post an update next week.

genkilljoy

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I use my SA Box and a USB tuner. I output using the coaxial cable with no problem. So as for quality, let's get one thing straight...You'll never get HD over wifi...To many variables. However I get a good picture quality...something in the range of VGA. This is preferable to nothing. Love to vacation and watch NYC Live TV...:p