1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Exchange Sync Error

My Tab has been having issues with my Exchange account since day one. I could hook up to the firm's server and sync contacts/calendar and send/receive emails with no issues, but I was getting a constant "Connection Error ([account])" error popping up on screen in a little black box every 30 seconds or so. If I re-booted the Tab it would stop doing it, but as soon as I started the Mail app it would come back. Extremely irritating and I was seriously considering returning the device.

I called Samsung (it was surprisingly easy to get through to a friendly real person who spoke perfect English, BTW) and was told to remove/re-install the account (which I had already done) and then try a factory reset. Neither of which worked. The rep spent a bunch of time on the phone to no avail, and then suggested I check with my IT department.

After about a half hour with the second IT guy at the firm, he simply tried disabling push and set it to sync every 5 minutes and I haven't seen that stupid little black box since. Shweet.

It still ain't exactly right (hopefully a fix is forthcoming in the highly anticipated update) but it works and I'm keeping it.

Default Re: Exchange Sync Error

The exchange integration is the most non-functional part of my Tab. I ended up buying Moxier Mail for Tablets to get an Exchange sync that actually works. Sometimes only a few messages would show in a folder that should have shown dozens within the sync window. Other times I would send a message and it would go to the outbox but never send (boy did that cause some problems before I realized that was happening). The Touchdown for Tablets app also works, but I found I liked the look and feel of Moxier better.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Weird. Other than that error message, mine has worked like a champ.

ROM
    Stock

Just got my tab last week and I'm seeing the EXACT error message as you in regards to the corporate exchange sync. I had to disable push sync and switch to every 5 minutes as well. Extremely annoying...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by BBLV View Post
    Just got my tab last week and I'm seeing the EXACT error message as you in regards to the corporate exchange sync. I had to disable push sync and switch to every 5 minutes as well. Extremely annoying...
    Yeah, I felt exactly the same way for about the first 15 seconds, until the IT guy explained to me that "push" is really just checking at very short intervals (likely the pace of those error messages). Since all of the rest of my accounts check every 5 minutes it's not THAT big of a deal. As I sit here at work every day with Exchange running on my desktop and my Tab right next to it, I'm not noticing huge differences is receiving mail between the two.

Not quite right, but I can live with it. I was about to return the thing, and now I'm just happy that I can keep it, because otherwise it's pretty sweet.

That sucks. Any idea how much of a difference it makes with battery life and cpu usage to have polling versus push?

Also, anyone know if this is only on the Tab or all Android?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    That sucks. Any idea how much of a difference it makes with battery life and cpu usage to have polling versus push?

Also, anyone know if this is only on the Tab or all Android?
    I'm no expert, but I would think checking every 5 minutes is actually going to use less battery than checking every 30 seconds.

It's an Android issue. When I did my search, the only thing I could find was one post from a guy in a Motorola forum who was having the exact same problem on his Xoom.

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I'm no expert, but I would think checking every 5 minutes is actually going to use less battery than checking every 30 seconds.

It's an Android issue. When I did my search, the only thing I could find was one post from a guy in a Motorola forum who was having the exact same problem on his Xoom.
    Um, push doesn't check. It should "log in" with the server once and tell it how to find it and then keep a socket for it but the socket shouldn't be doing much of anything.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Um, push doesn't check. It should "log in" with the server once and tell it how to find it and then keep a socket for it but the socket shouldn't be doing much of anything.
    Gotcha. I was going on what the guy told me, I guess I did think it sounded a little fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by BBLV View Post
    I see the same thing, but even though I disable push and set sync to 5 min, the "connection error (account)" keeps popping up.

Any suggestion on how to fix this is highly appreciated!

Thumbs up Re: Exchange Sync Error

Me too also received the same error 'error in connection (account name). Here is the solution that worked for me. Add the corporate account using the following steps..
    Settings > Account Sync > Add Account > Email (Do not select Exchange sync directly from this window) > Now select Exchange Sync and continue with the steps.....
    Dont know how it makes differece in selecting Exchange sync after the selecting the Email instead selecting from the first window, but it worked for me..