Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tsak6789
  • 1 Post By pixelbat
  • 1 Post By CoryBantic
  • 1 Post By Jay Evans
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default this thing is pretty sweet.

So its been a few hours since i got my tab and im loving it. I've already downloaded kindle, nook and words with friends. Any other "must haves" for this thing?
    jitugoradia likes this.

Default Re: this thing is pretty sweet.

Zinio Magazine Reader- it's free, and you buy subscriptions. Magazines look great, crisp, plus you can go back to backlogs.

Sketchbook- it's a fun drawing program

Bouncy Mouse- dumb, ridiculous but fun game with a bouncy mouse. You collect cheese and kill cats. lol.

Samsung Leather Case- it's really nice. Leather on the inside. Really slick design for a slick tablet.

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

pulse is my favorite app right now, it's good for keeping up with the news

Some apps I'm using and really like...

News360 - pretty much all the news you could ever want.
    Pulse - also great news app, totally configurable as to the feeds you get
    Pandora - music music music
    Vplayer - best movie player I've found, plays every format I've thrown at it so far
    AndFTP - ftp client
    imo - all in one IM client (supports aim, skype, yim, msn, talk, and others)
    Splashtop HD - stream your computers desktop to your devices (paid app, but worth it)
    Yelp - mmm restaurant reviews
    Ustream - view ustream broadcast
    Jplayer - view jtv broadcast
    Astro - file manager
    Dropbox - share files in the cloud
    Google Docs - more cloud goodness
    IMdb - so I can look up movies n stuff
    Opera browser - good alternative to the built in browser
    Paypal & Chase - so I can keep tabs on my accounts
    WoW Armory - because I'm a nerd and play WoW
    Engadget - because its fun to read the biggest Apple biased tech site on my Android tablet
    XDA - essential for any Android user
    Skype - meh
    vtwinracersp2 likes this.
    DAS

Global Posts
    1,137 Global Posts

It's already been mentioned but I can't stress enough the need for a nice slim case or pouch for the Tab. I own both official products from Samsung. They keep the slim design of the Tab, and make it look so nice when carrying it around.

Also, I would recommend downloading the Netflix APK if you have a smartphone that is Netflix capable. You don't have to root your device, do anything illegal, or fool with a messy installation that would potentially damage the Tab. It's a simple install from once device to another. Having Netfilx on my Tab is incredible.

Also, find a good wallpaper app (I use PicSpeed HD & Zedge). The ability to customize your lock and home screen with your unique style is priceless.

I suggest installing an app called "Application Protector." This app allows you to protect individual apps from prying eyes by requiring a pin# to access the app. You wouldn't want to use a pin# to access every app, but for certain apps this is quite useful. For instance, I require a pin# on all my financial apps, android market, and dropbox. This way, when my kids are playing with the Tab they cannot mistakenly download apps without knowing the pin#.

I love my Tab, too. I have to plug the game "Dragon, Fly."
    It's a Tiny Wings clone, and it's addictive.

Splashtop Remote Desktop HD is a must. You can remotely access any registered PC's. I have my tab connected to my home PC, my work PC and my personal laptop - which means I can remotely access any files from any of those PC's whenever I want! Plus, since you're remotely accessing a dedicated PC, hulu, netflix and even online MMORPG's are playable/viewable through your tab! If you decide to buy it, it's only $6. Well worth it in my view.
    nate44 likes this.

I'll add:

ES File Explorer for WiFi file transfers on my home and work networks

MX Video Player Uses Hardware Acceleration and it's free.

JustPictures! For both local and online photos. 6.0 is in beta right now and release is just around the corner.

FriendCaster Tab for Facebook Beta. Multi-user login

Quote Originally Posted by CoryBantic View Post
    Splashtop Remote Desktop HD is a must. You can remotely access any registered PC's. I have my tab connected to my home PC, my work PC and my personal laptop - which means I can remotely access any files from any of those PC's whenever I want! Plus, since you're remotely accessing a dedicated PC, hulu, netflix and even online MMORPG's are playable/viewable through your tab! If you decide to buy it, it's only $6. Well worth it in my view.
    Splashtop is pretty freakin' awesome! I used the Desktop version of Hulu on my Mac and it worked like a charm. It's a little scary how much control I have on my main computer. Thanks for the recommendation!!

Quote Originally Posted by rebornr View Post
    Splashtop is pretty freakin' awesome! I used the Desktop version of Hulu on my Mac and it worked like a charm. It's a little scary how much control I have on my main computer. Thanks for the recommendation!!
    So this works on a Mac? I am thinking of buying this, it looks great! I just buy the Android app and then what, download the app on my Mac? Where do I do that?

Splashtop Inc. - remote desktop software with high performance video & audio

Works great but for best results with remote access you should have a static IP.
    Stang68 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

wow there are way more than I originally thought. Thanks for posting these guys, keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    So this works on a Mac? I am thinking of buying this, it looks great! I just buy the Android app and then what, download the app on my Mac? Where do I do that?
    The app downloads to your Tab and then you need to download another application onto the Mac you are using (I don't think there is a limit - just need to be on the same local network). Then you setup a password on the application on the Mac and 'boom' it shows up in the app on your Tab. Enter the password and your Tab controls your Mac (although you can still control your Mac with the mouse and keyboard).

The screen resolution on your Mac goes wonky because it is now the resolution of your Tab (sort of like if you hook a computer up to a projector) but as soon as you disconnect it goes back to normal. The instructions are really easy. Not sure how it does it's voodoo but it works! There's even a beta application for Lion but I'm not touching Lion until I absolutely, positively have to.

Carrier
    Synergy

Quote Originally Posted by tsak6789 View Post
    So its been a few hours since i got my tab and im loving it. I've already downloaded kindle, nook and words with friends. Any other "must haves" for this thing?
    Netflix

http://www.careace.net/2011/07/20/ho...ycomb-tablets/

This tablet IS friggin' sweet. Can't wait to try some of these apps.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Evans View Post
    I'll add:

ES File Explorer for WiFi file transfers on my home and work networks

MX Video Player Uses Hardware Acceleration and it's free.

JustPictures! For both local and online photos. 6.0 is in beta right now and release is just around the corner.

FriendCaster Tab for Facebook Beta. Multi-user login
    +1 for ES File Explorer.
    It has a Dropbox plugin that allows me to do more than the official Dropbox app. It allows me to rename and move files in my Dropbox account. Something the official Dropbox app lacks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Got it, and loving it!
    Now if only HBO Go was available...

FreeNote for handwriting...

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by ssproles View Post
    FreeNote for handwriting...
    I use that one for college to take quick notes. I love that app

Anyone know a way to tap into SMS on the Galaxy's native number? Whn I try to set up my Verizon account it says its sending me an SMS but the Galaxy Tab has no SMS app. Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk