How connect Tab to Linux computer?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
You need MTP libs and tools installed. Look for libmtp, mtpfs, and gmtp for your distro or build them from source.

Thanks and then do I have to use a specific program/command to view the files on it or can I just plug it in and the "mount" popup will come up in KDE?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, when I try mtp-detect it fails (and the tablet is at that "USB-Samsung Kies" screen).

libmtp version: 1.0.3
Attempting to connect device(s)
PTP_ERROR_IO: Trying again after re-initializing USB interface
LIBMTP PANIC: Could not open session! (Return code 767)
Try to reset the device.
Unable to open raw device 0
OK.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks and then do I have to use a specific program/command to view the files on it or can I just plug it in and the "mount" popup will come up in KDE?

gmtp has a GUI. Plug in and run it. For an automatic mount option, you'll have to set up udev rules (assuming Ubuntu)

Hmmm, when I try mtp-detect it fails (and the tablet is at that "USB-Samsung Kies" screen).

Make sure USB debugging on the Tablet is off. When it's turned on, it stops the MTP service on the Tab. Other than that, I'd suggest lsusb to see if anything shows as connected

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
gmtp has a GUI. Plug in and run it. For an automatic mount option, you'll have to set up udev rules (assuming Ubuntu)

Make sure USB debugging on the Tablet is off. When it's turned on, it stops the MTP service on the Tab. Other than that, I'd suggest lsusb to see if anything shows as connected

Thanks.

But will gmtp even work if mtp-detect's not mounting it?

Is it my version of mtp?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
You need MTP libs and tools installed. Look for libmtp, mtpfs, and gmtp for your distro or build them from source.

I can't find gmtp anywhere in software center for Ubuntu. And on OpenSUSE, building it failed saying I didn't have fuse (I do), mad (I do), id3tag (I do) or "libmtp" (again, I do). Any ideas?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
For anyone wondering, here's how you do it EASILY:

1. Download Android SDK (Android SDK | Android Developers)

2. Extract the tar.gz file

3. In command line start the "tools/android" program

4. In the GUI, choose "Available Packages" and expand "Android Repository" and choose the 3.1 platform

5. Install it

6. At command line use the program "platform-tools/adb"

If you use "adb shell" it'll essentially ssh you into the device so you can use commands like "ls" to list files/folders

"adb push" puts files on the device, "adb pull" copies them from the device.