Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Is there a way to read my epub books in Google Books? If I root can I put it in its folder or will it still not recognize it?
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  
    walhalla's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Is there a way to read my epub books in Google Books? If I root can I put it in its folder or will it still not recognize it?
    I have tried to download epub books from my local library to read. The library website states I need to download something called Overdrive, which I did and also Adobe Digital Editions. When I try to download ADE, I get a msg stating ADE is not supported on the GT 10.1. I have read that other tablets are supported including the original GT 7". I posted a question about this on the Samsung support site over a week ago and as of yet, no answer.

    If anyone has been able to download epub books from their local library and read them on their GT 10.1, please let me know how you did it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by waldeck View Post
    I have tried to download epub books from my local library to read. The library website states I need to download something called Overdrive, which I did and also Adobe Digital Editions. When I try to download ADE, I get a msg stating ADE is not supported on the GT 10.1. I have read that other tablets are supported including the original GT 7". I posted a question about this on the Samsung support site over a week ago and as of yet, no answer.

    If anyone has been able to download epub books from their local library and read them on their GT 10.1, please let me know how you did it.
    Oh, you can read them on the Galaxy Tab, just not in Google Books (from what I can tell).

    Here's what you do:

    1. Email the epub book to yourself
    2. Open the email on your Tab and save it to "downloads"
    3. Download "Cool Reader" from App Market https://market.android.com/details?id=org.coolreader
    4. In Cool Reader, open its settings and choose "open file"
    5. Navigate to the downloads folder and click on your book file (you might have to het the "left arrow" icon at the top left of the screen next to the current file path to get to the SD card where the download folder is)

    That's it!
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  
    nalpakj's Avatar

    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    If I remember correctly, Overdrive is just an application to get ePub books from libraries. I haven't used it yet but looked into it a little for my Nook.

    Google Books doesn't let you read anything you didn't get from google so, like 6tr6tr said you just need another reader application. You are supposed to be able to import to the Nook app (https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result) although I haven't tried yet. Alkido is another one I saw that looked pretty polished (https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result). Both are either free or have a free version.
  5. #5  
    walhalla's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Oh, you can read them on the Galaxy Tab, just not in Google Books (from what I can tell).

    Here's what you do:

    1. Email the epub book to yourself
    2. Open the email on your Tab and save it to "downloads"
    3. Download "Cool Reader" from App Market https://market.android.com/details?id=org.coolreader
    4. In Cool Reader, open its settings and choose "open file"
    5. Navigate to the downloads folder and click on your book file (you might have to het the "left arrow" icon at the top left of the screen next to the current file path to get to the SD card where the download folder is)

    That's it!
    I downloaded Cool Reader, it looks pretty good, thanks.

    I did send the epub file to myself, opened it in gmail on the tab and downloaded it. Whenever I try to open the epub file in either Aldiko, Cool Reader or Nook Reader, I always get an error stating "error opening file". I have tried this with 2 different ebooks I've checked out from my library. I'm eliminating the readers as the culprit here. This leads me to the possibility of an issue with either Honeycomb 3.1, the GT 10.1 or my particular library.

    Has anyone else been able to check out ebooks in epub from their library and then send the file and download it to the GT 10.1 and then open and read the book in any reader on their GT 10.1?
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    just run ftp i do that , then i use import in the Ebook reader thats installed from factory
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by waldeck View Post
    I have tried to download epub books from my local library to read. The library website states I need to download something called Overdrive, which I did and also Adobe Digital Editions. When I try to download ADE, I get a msg stating ADE is not supported on the GT 10.1. I have read that other tablets are supported including the original GT 7". I posted a question about this on the Samsung support site over a week ago and as of yet, no answer.

    If anyone has been able to download epub books from their local library and read them on their GT 10.1, please let me know how you did it.
    I have downloaded books from my local library. Once you install Overdrive,
    click on Welcome to Overdrive Media Console
    click on the last control on the bottom left of the screen
    click on bookshelf
    click on the last control on the bottom left of the screen again
    click on get books
    a screen comes up to add a library
    once you add the library, click on the library and browse the books

    My experience has been that the ones you want to read are checked out. I have been on the waiting list for 3 weeks so far.

    Good luck
  8. #8  
    walhalla's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by den29 View Post
    I have downloaded books from my local library. Once you install Overdrive,
    click on Welcome to Overdrive Media Console
    click on the last control on the bottom left of the screen
    click on bookshelf
    click on the last control on the bottom left of the screen again
    click on get books
    a screen comes up to add a library
    once you add the library, click on the library and browse the books

    My experience has been that the ones you want to read are checked out. I have been on the waiting list for 3 weeks so far.

    Good luck
    Tried that also. The only ones that show up are public domain epub's.
    When I search my library system and find a epub version, there is a msg stating "Adobe epub book titles cannot be downloaded on this device."
  9. #9  

    Default

    I use drop box and cool reader. I have converted all of my books into epub and have my files saved in my dropbox. When I want to read one or several I just open drop box and download it directly

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Download the Kindle app. Plug your SGT 10.1 into ur PC. Open Kindle folder. Drag and drop EPUB file from source to tablet.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoryBantic View Post
    Download the Kindle app. Plug your SGT 10.1 into ur PC. Open Kindle folder. Drag and drop EPUB file from source to tablet.
    How does that help reading a book in Google Books? Please read the post before responding. Thanks.
  12. #12  
    E_man's Avatar

    Posts
    493 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    How does that help reading a book in Google Books? Please read the post before responding. Thanks.
    Because he was tying to help you read your books in a high quality reader? It wasn't the solution you were hoping for, but it is a good solution. More than most pots in this thread. Please be grateful when people try and help. Thanks
  13. #13  
    walhalla's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Finally it appears I got this thing sorted out. I was copying the epub file onto the tab and was always getting error messages. I then copied the acsm file and everything is fine, the book opens in Aldiko.
    I have been reading posts from various forums, other than this one. and may have missed if someone mentioned that.
    Thanks to all who responded, it's great to know there are a lot of people here willing to provide assistance!!!
  14. #14  

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    Quote Originally Posted by waldeck View Post
    I downloaded Cool Reader, it looks pretty good, thanks.

    I did send the epub file to myself, opened it in gmail on the tab and downloaded it. Whenever I try to open the epub file in either Aldiko, Cool Reader or Nook Reader, I always get an error stating "error opening file". I have tried this with 2 different ebooks I've checked out from my library. I'm eliminating the readers as the culprit here. This leads me to the possibility of an issue with either Honeycomb 3.1, the GT 10.1 or my particular library.

    Has anyone else been able to check out ebooks in epub from their library and then send the file and download it to the GT 10.1 and then open and read the book in any reader on their GT 10.1?
    Depending on what kind of file the app reads, all you would need to do is find out the type of file and convert it... I use overdrive and get PDF and ePub books offline. On my kindle I convert them to txt or mobi, for my iPad I use ePub.

    Hope this helps
  15. #15  

    Default Re: How do I import epub book to Google Books?

    The situation has changed since the last post -- now, you can use your computer, go to https://play.google.com/books/uploads, click the top right "Upload" button. An upload dialog box will be opened. You can either upload from your desktop, or if your epub file is already in your Google Drive, import it from there. After that, you can read it using your Android Play Books app.

    It would be great if we can do that without a computer, but this is what we have for now.
    Thanked by:

Posting Permissions