Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking of buying...contract required?

I am in the market for a tab. I am not to up to date on this stuff as I am more of a phone junkie. I am intrested in either the 10.1 or xoom. I understand the 10.1 comes with 4G LTE built in. Question I have is if I can just buy one w/o a contract and use the 3G/4G on an as needed basis. I currently am able to use WIFI via my Nexus but there maybe times when I need the wirless option on the tab or may want to use the 4G speeds for a short period.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

Default Re: Thinking of buying...contract required?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...eCategoryId=12
    Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 16GB
    Full Retail Price
    $629.99

PRICE with 2-Year contract
    $529.99

so yes you can buy off contract, but be prepared to pay full retail.
    and Yes you can activate 4g as needed. (it will be $30 pre 2gigs) and you can prob get that prorated.
    to activate services you have to call *611 and make sure you can add/remove the service any time and that its prorated per day.

***To stop from being charged you MUST call *611 when you no longer need/want the service and remove it or they will keep charging you****

Hope this helps.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

went into the VZW store today to look and they told me even buying off contract at full price I would still have to submit to a credit check and if needed pay a deposit, that is a deal killer.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

Try best buy. They should sell you one off contract if they have them.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill86 View Post
    Try best buy. They should sell you one off contract if they have them.
    They do not have any of the 4G, they said it was exclusive to Verizon at this time. I may check a different VZW store to see if its correct that off contract on a month2month I would have to submit to their check and deposit, seems odd since I am paying full price and under no contract.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

I'm guessing u don't have any account with vzw then.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have not ordred online and do not have an account with them.

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

If you want the 4G version then yes....youll either have to sign a contract or be on a month to month data plan.........Which is why they check your credit and what not....verizon is the only place where you can get a 4G 10.1 because it runs on their 4G network

ROM
    Stock/CM10.1 soon

Tellus in Canada will be getting a hspa+ version very soon and that will work with at&t's network that is just another option you try.

Have you thought about just purchasing the wifi only version and then purchasing a "mifi"(hotspot device) from the carrier of your choice, possibly Verizon. You can buy the wifi only version from Best Buy and also the mifi hotspot at $50 bucks now(this is at Verizon stores, not sure about Best Buy's price). The hotspot, in my opinion, is superior to just having the 3G/4G built-in because you can connect up to 8 devices, including your tablet wirelessly instead of just the 1 device, at the same time. Not sure if this is what you were asking or looking, but hope it helps.

PS: Best Buy and Staples were having special price discounts on the setup I mentioned above for the past several months. Not sure if they have this going still since today is August 1st. They aren't advertising these specials so you would have to ask a sales rep for details.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by woodsb123 View Post
    Have you thought about just purchasing the wifi only version and then purchasing a "mifi"(hotspot device) from the carrier of your choice, possibly Verizon. You can buy the wifi only version from Best Buy and also the mifi hotspot at $50 bucks now(this is at Verizon stores, not sure about Best Buy's price). The hotspot, in my opinion, is superior to just having the 3G/4G built-in because you can connect up to 8 devices, including your tablet wirelessly instead of just the 1 device, at the same time. Not sure if this is what you were asking or looking, but hope it helps.

PS: Best Buy and Staples were having special price discounts on the setup I mentioned above for the past several months. Not sure if they have this going still since today is August 1st. They aren't advertising these specials so you would have to ask a sales rep for details.

I actually use my Nexus as a hotspot so I have that covered. I was wanting the 4G LTE for faster speeds but I may just get the net put back into the house.

I will be purchasing the wifi only. Can get online threw my phone, plus just about everywhere I go has wifi available.

EVO-LUTION 3D
    love my evo.