Please Help Me Not Hate My Galaxy Tab

PaperMate3rd

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Let me just preface this post by saying I Never Ever Ever start threads I come to forums like many of you for knowledge, news, tips, and just to all around see whats going on in tech. Thispost is far out my character for two reasons. 1 Because I LOVE and support android OS and 2 becuase I never wanna bother other readers with my personal experiences. That being said this ladies and gents is a code red emergency. Before i go any further let me just say that all the views and examples i speak of here are nothing more than my opinion and my personal experiences and are not meant to condem any product or company. Ok..........sigh I HATE my Galaxy Tab 10.1 More than ANY electronic ive ever purchased in my entire life. Im typing this post using it and its taken 17 minutes to get to this point simply because the keyboard is lagging that bad when I go to correct a typing error it takes 8-12 tries to put the cursor in the right spot. Now before you ask anything or assume anything the answer is YES! Ive done it all. Hard reset soft reset update root overclok custom rom touchwiz official touchwiz nothing has been a decent usable experience. I work at sprint I got the GalaxyTab the first day we had it available in the store. In my store im the TABLET guy I set'em all up know the most about'em and sell the most. In our store currently we have the Xoom the Evo View the BB playbook the GalaxyTab 7inch and the GalaxyTab 10.1. I also own a Toshiba Thrive which I purchased after only having the GT for 48 Hours. It was that bad. My main problem is the Amazing reviews this thing got. How smoothed it looked in all the review videos and how every site called it the first true competitor for the ipad of HoneyComb tablets. I know im partially to blame for trusting samsung after dealing with Kies desktop software on my GF galaxy S on Tmobile. Or the fact that that phone has the most horrible gps chipset known to man. Or that although light and sleek in design the build quality of samsung mobile products is almost laughable when compared to something like HTC or Moto. Or even better still knowing that there update history alone is enough to stay away from anything samsung mobile. Or the daily I see the samsung epic come in for service and or repair due to lag failed OTA updates and lines in the screen. But yet I went against every bone in my body and gave samsung a chance on my first owned tablet experience and boy was i in for a nightmare. Now i myself am a Android lover/supporter like the next man but Ive come to the realization that HoneyComb is very much a beta feeling OS I dont think i'll personally get that true tab feeling on android until ICS but I knew what i was getting into with HC so no big deal there. Problem is this tab for me at least has been plauged from minute one with issues the biggest of them being LAG! My god i cant tell you how bad this thing lags. Everywhere in the browser switching homescreens opening apps live wallpaper keyboard input you name it its lagging. Rooted and overclocked to 1.4Ghz hard reboot fresh install of the new touchwiz no new apps nothing on any homescreen its almost unbearble. Now granted I dont think people for the most part are having the level of lag and issues that im having. But based on my extended use of 4 different galaxy tabs, my co-workers our store demo my friends and mine. None of them perform as well as ive seen and heard in reviews video and written. Idk maybe my expectations were to high, maybe the tegra 2 really isnt all that maybe honeycomb is a little too beta. But wait none of that can be true cause I love my tegra 2 rockin honeycomb sportin toshiba thrive tab. I do get a little lag here and there on the keypad and HD video playback is still hit or miss but otherwise it well out performs my GT on almost every level. So i dont know maybe I got a lemon Im gonna exchage it tomorrow for a new one but Im not very hopeful. Maybe im doing something wrong who knows. All i know is as a HTC live or die type of guy I gave samsung a chance and i feel burned........BAD! I own an Evo 3D and it destroys my GT in smoothness and jusy overall funtionality im hard reseting my GT 3 to 4 times a day thats not normal. So anyway im rooted so if anyone has a rom they suggest that is smooth or anything that will get me outta this nightmare id appreciate it. Please please help me not HATE my GalaxyTab 10.1 ps too late

Last edited by a moderator:

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Rooted and overclocked to 1.4Ghz hard reboot fresh install of the new touchwiz no new apps nothing on any homescreen its almost unbearble. Now granted I dont think people for the most part are having the level of lag and issues that im having.

Which kernel are you running? I was having all kinds of problems with mine when I was rooted and over clocked. Before the touchwiz update I returned mine to stock and presto, all my problems where gone. Now with the touchwiz update the thing is 30-50% faster than it was with a custom kernel over clocked to 1.4Ghz. Another simple solution is to install Swiftkey X. It is a much better keyboard than stock.

I have learned the hard way that there are some very talented developers over there at XDA. The problem is there are also some kids that are hacks and do not take the time to do things right. They rush out ROM's and kernels without any testing and many of them do not have a clue what they are doing.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If your Galaxy Tab has been bad from the start and every software solution you've tried has failed, perhaps you have a hardware problem.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Every time a read a post like this, I wonder if an ip trace would route back to Apple :p

Ok, so let me get this straight:

You hate Samsung products, that much is evident by the six (almost sentences) you have dedicated to blasting everything they've done this year - from the Galaxy S to the form factor compared to HTC and Motorola - to Kies...which, I'm sorry, is bad...but not bad enough not warrant getting a device. Then you go on about your experience with Samsung coming back as defective from OTA updates - and yet you still bought a Samsung product. And why? Because some reviews told you to - future note: if you feel strongly about something- stick to how you feel rather than creating an opportunity to become disappointed and then expecting others to validate your purchase decisions and make you somehow feel better or worse about yourself.

The OP's original post is just a whining rant about how much they hate Samsung, Samsung products, and how Honeycomb is beta on the GT 10.1, but somehow miraculously better on the Toshiba thrive.

Quit whining and just return the thing...no matter how much anyone tells you that it's better - it's not going to change your opinion of it, and you are not looking for help to fix it. Go with your gut and not "popular opinion" next time - you save yourself (and us) lots of time.

Jack

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
My main problem is the Amazing reviews this thing got...Please please help me not HATE my GalaxyTab 10.1 ps too late

It seems, based on your own words, all of your ranting is because of your dislike that the GT 10.1 has gotten "Amazing" reviews.

You obviously don't like Samsung products, and that's okay! But as it's been said before, if you don't like a product or company then don't buy their merchandise and then come on a forum and rant and complain about it.

If you have a legitimate concern, as some people do with the 10.1, the forums offer help and advise to those that are truly seeking it.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
...Ok..........sigh I F%$?%N HATE my Galaxy Tab 10.1 More than ANY electronic ive ever purchased in my entire life. ... I also own a Toshiba Thrive which I purchased after only having the GT for 48 Hours. It was that bad...

Why don't/didn't you return it?

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all of the other posts.. If you didn't like Samsung to begin with you shouldn't have gotten... If you are responsigle for the "Tab" sales at your store.. it seems as though your manager needs to get a non-biased person doing that and I am sure the Samsung Corporate account manager for your store would not only like that he would demand it if you would post which store you work in.. After the TouchWiz update my tab performed flawlessly... Yeah there from time to time was a short lag in the keys, but a long as I stuck with the english language keyboard and not the "android or samsung" then it barely lagged at all.. But my word to you is you best not let your manager know you are "downselling the Samsung" not only at your store but on a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 forum too.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Geez, people, read between the lines. He WANTS to love it, is trying very hard to love it, but is just finding more and more frustration. I played with it a few days (it's my wife's) and then just let her. I found it mildly frustrating to f'ing frustrating at times. The biggest frustrations have been trying to get videos to run properly, movies are out of the question at the moment!, keyboard issues are crazy no matter what. The on screen keyboard pops in and out for no apparent reason, even adding Smart Keyboards...and we have the physical keyboard as well, which sometimes the Tab won't recognize is even there, and other times while typing along, the onscreen keyboard pops up! Crazy. I'm just figuring it's a beta at this point. Other frustrations just trying to navigate when everything seems to be open all the time, browsing is a challenge, mostly because of keyboard issues...I think if they can solve those, it's going to change things a bunch. And then get movies to work easily like they should. Patience is all we have for now.

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to go with the other comments that you're just a Samsung hater. If there really is a lot of truth to the excessive problems you're reporting then clearly you have some sort of hardware issue. There have been a few situations where I mght describe what I'm seeing as 'lag' but other than this the tablet responds beautifully. Text input was definitely laggy before the TW update...but since the update it's immediate.

I find it kind of strange that 'the tablet guy' wouldn't have seen a single Galaxy 10.1 that was not laggy...and didn't wonder why his wasn't responding in the same manner? Just a normal troubleshooting mentality would tell most people that if it's not performing as well as you've seen it perform on other devices...especially right out of the box...that specific device must have some sort of problem. Rooting it, installing other ROMs, overclocking it would have no significant impact. Yeah...if you're 'the tablet guy' at your store then it'd probably be best for all Sprint customers to find another store with a different 'tablet guy'. If you don't work at a store and instead work in the corporate structure somewhere then it's even more scary.

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Part of the "movies" issues were addressed with the media hub..You may not like all of the products offered, the source the price.. etc... but they do play, and download.. The docking keyboard, I have found if I will have the device off when I dock it, then plug it in and the dock it, turn it on, the keyboard works better.. You then need to go to the settings screen and designate what keyboard you are using.. if you don't do that the other keyboards do pop up dependent on if it has a text entry field. Other than that "quirk" there a few minor issues.. and as for 3rd CoDefs.. "so many have been returned, he should work at a BEst Buy store and see how many Ipads, Acers, Asus, Thrives etc are returned every day for various reasons..

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Geez, people, read between the lines. He WANTS to love it, is trying very hard to love it, but is just finding more and more frustration. I played with it a few days (it's my wife's) and then just let her. I found it mildly frustrating to f'ing frustrating at times. The biggest frustrations have been trying to get videos to run properly, movies are out of the question at the moment!, keyboard issues are crazy no matter what. The on screen keyboard pops in and out for no apparent reason, even adding Smart Keyboards...and we have the physical keyboard as well, which sometimes the Tab won't recognize is even there, and other times while typing along, the onscreen keyboard pops up! Crazy. I'm just figuring it's a beta at this point. Other frustrations just trying to navigate when everything seems to be open all the time, browsing is a challenge, mostly because of keyboard issues...I think if they can solve those, it's going to change things a bunch. And then get movies to work easily like they should. Patience is all we have for now.
@ Zorro1: I think those you have replied to the original poster are "reading between the lines." It appears, based on his/her own statements, that he/she doesn't really want answers, but rather just wants to rant.

I know there are people who have had some legitimate concerns with their purchase of the Tab 10.1. But no matter the issue there are only certain options that exist if you find yourself in this situation.

1) return the device for a replacement or refund; 2) sell the device to someone who doesn't mind the little quirks or is better able to research to find solutions or work arounds; 3) keep and learn to live with the limitations or seek advice from others who use the same device, because the pros outweigh the cons; or 4) keep the device and just complain, rant, and throw a temper trantrums within every forum one can find.

Most people on here want to help people who are having legitimate concerns, but reading the original post this is a self proclaimed expert in tablets. By suggesting he/she is so knowledgable they opened themselves up for higher scrutiny. Had this been a novice that would be one thing, but someone who professes to be a Sprint Rep (my particular carrier) that knows his/her stuff; such a rant is unacceptable.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Everyone's free to speculate, of course, but I can sure sound a lot like that OP'er, that's why I recognize it. He's still selling them! He's just wanting it to be all it can be, now! Like he said, he doesn't even start threads...so it would be pretty odd to start one like this for the sole purpose of bashing the Tab. And to take that much length to do it, in detail. Usual rants/bashes look like: The Tab sucks because the iPud's so much better....yada yada. And there's not much to be gained by just raining fire on him and telling him to move on when we can all work together to help make the thing better, which is the real problem.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Everyone's free to speculate, of course, but I can sure sound a lot like that OP'er, that's why I recognize it. He's still selling them! He's just wanting it to be all it can be, now! Like he said, he doesn't even start threads...so it would be pretty odd to start one like this for the sole purpose of bashing the Tab. And to take that much length to do it, in detail. Usual rants/bashes look like: The Tab sucks because the iPud's so much better....yada yada. And there's not much to be gained by just raining fire on him and telling him to move on when we can all work together to help make the thing better, which is the real problem.
Okay.

zamzarvideo

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Just use everything stock (TouchWiz) and don't root. When you boot it up, go into the task manager and clear the RAM. Tada. I've been using mine like that and I don't have problems other than a bit of lag on the homescreen right after closing an app. (then it's smooth again)

PaperMate3rd

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It's crazy I didn't know what to expect when I started this thread after reading every comment here and rereading my OP I would like to formally apologize for some of the admitted ranting in my post. Some of you have suggested things that have worked and made the experience better considerably. SwiftKey is bombsauce I got the VIP invite and installed it right away works flawless. And just for the record I did exchange the device for a new one and had the same issues. One poster was right in saying I WANT to like the device it's screen display sound form factor basically everything about it physically is incredible. At my store I don't down sale or bad mouth the tab at all actually on the contrary I use it as my main counter to the ipad wanters and I sell more than a few a day. My concerns are completely personal and I do not let them carry over into my work. My job is to educate the customer on what's available to them and them help them choose what's right for them. I also for the past 8 years have owned nothing but Samsung tv's I was specific to say MOBILE DEVICES because of that. As for reviews they aided in me taking a chance on a product i had concerns about because of previous experience not made or forced me to buy it. In the end I truly came here for help because I wanted to have the great experience out of the device that I spent my hard earned cash on that so many others advertised. I did say it was the worst experience witch I do not retract, but I also asked for advice solutions and the likes there of. It's like when a movie is hyped up and you finally see it and to you its not that good, it doesn't mean the movie sucked it just didn't meet your expectations. That's what happened here. Now on the flipside since my original post I unrooted my device (the new exchanged one) got the OTA TW update and I have to say the experience has been about 70-80% better lag in the homescreens seems to be something that will never go away for me but like I said it is Not present on my thrive at all. But overall its Much Much better so what it's worth I thank those of you who offered suggestions. And I appreciate all the comments because everyone's entitled to they're point of view and I put myself out there. In closing I think the SGS2 is a monstrosity of a beastly device and I hope it performs as well as the overseas version seems to be doing. I think the eventual tab for me will end up being the HTC puccini 10.1 if not I'll stick with the thrive but damn this Galaxy Tab nailed the form factor. The lack of native expandable storage at this price point just didn't hit the market for me but hats off I'm still slangin'em everyday. Lol

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd be curious to see if installing a 3rd party launchers like Launcher Pro or ADW Ex would clear up your homescreen lag. I don't own a tablet yet but have been doing my research as I pick between the tab 10.1, asus transformer, or iPad 2. I really want to go android as well but homescreen lag is a no go for me. Can you try a 3rd party launchers and let us know if it makes anything more manageable?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad