Tether: SGT 10.1 with Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G

tguolee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone successfully tethered a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with a Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G phone yet? Tried many of the suggestions in prior threads without success and am hoping someone has cracked the code.

TIA

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to avoid the hotspot charges, but thanks.
@ tguolee: Are looking for a solution to avoid tethering charges, or are you seeking a tethering option for your specific phone?

If it's the former, then I'm sorry I have no information, but if it's the latter, Sprint does have a tethering option for $29.99 per month, and the Epic has this feature built in.

Like the other response you received, I too use the mobile hotspot feature of my Evo 4g. The cost is discounted slightly because of the company I work for.

I will say that whether you get it for free or wind up paying the tethering cost, you will wonder how you ever owned a tablet without a data connection available anywhere or anytime.

tguolee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
@ tguolee: Are looking for a solution to avoid tethering charges, or are you seeking a tethering option for your specific phone?

If it's the former, then I'm sorry I have no information, but if it's the latter, Sprint does have a tethering option for $29.99 per month, and the Epic has this feature built in.

Like the other response you received, I too use the mobile hotspot feature of my Evo 4g. The cost is discounted slightly because of the company I work for.

I will say that whether you get it for free or wind up paying the tethering cost, you will wonder how you ever owned a tablet without a data connection available anywhere or anytime.

I'm looking for the former, a solution to avoid tethering charges. I pay enough for unlimited data. ;)

So far, seems like some of the apps that help others' phones tether to their SGT's just don't work with the Epic. Been watching the threads for several weeks, and just want to see if someone's figured out a free workaround.

I've tethered my Epic to my laptop, so I fully know what there is to support the quest of getting it to work with the tablet. :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you want to tether without using the hotspot feature you'll need to root the phone and download a third-party tether app from the Market -- there are plenty to choose from. If you root and are not able to see the WiFi signal on the Tab 10.1 you'll need to root the tab and enable a work-around. I had an issue with the Tab seeing WiFi signals from my Hero and found that it has to do with the Tab not picking up Ad-Hoc connections. There's a workaround on XDA I can post if you run into problems with the Tab.

**Edit**

You can download PDAnet from the Market and use that to tether without rooting either devices. I believe it will use Bluetooth for wireless and it can be connected via usb to a PC.

Last edited:

sparkalee

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am wanting to use the Epic phone's 3/4G service to connect the Galaxy 10.1 when WiFi isn't available. I travel and about half the hotels are ethernet only.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am wanting to use the Epic phone's 3/4G service to connect the Galaxy 10.1 when WiFi isn't available. I travel and about half the hotels are ethernet only.

You will need to root the Epic and download a third party application to allow WiFi tethering of the phones 3G/4G data to whichever device you want to tether -- in this case it is the Tab.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a GT and have an EVO. I have never tried to tether but am aware I could use the paid hotspot feature. I have also read there are apps that would use a usb cable and not have to pay. Anyone try something like this?

tguolee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I've solved the riddle (thanks to the guys at XDA).

In order to tether SGT 10.1 and Samcung galaxy Epic 4G, the easiest solution is to download android-wifi-tether's latest release and ensure the "Change Device-Profile" is set to Samsung Epic 4 G in the settings (will cause broadcast of the signal to be in "Infrastructure" mode).

You will need to side load the apk (I used Drop Box). The download is at:

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Is working great for me - good luck!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So changing the device profile makes the tether come up as a non-ad hoc network? At least as far as the Tab is concerned? Good to know and thanks for sharing :)

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I know PDANET is working on their Tablet interface to the normal PDANET app. Right now it is in the Beta phase but it did work. You just need to follow the intructions very carefully in order to revert back to WIFI internet. I'm sure the developers at PDANET will come out with a better product soon. Until then I broke down and got the Sprint Hot Spot activated. I'm travelling overseas and when I reach a port, I want as much ability to connect as I can get.

If you didn't know or use PDANET, it is a one time fee of like $10 or $15 and it will tether your android to a laptop just fine. It is very simple to use. I was very happy to use that app on my laptop and Samsung Epic 4G. There are lots of other ways too, but I don't really want to explore rooting my devices.

marable

May 26, 2010
Visit site
If your phone is rooted use the starburst rom. it will allow you to use the sprint hot spot app for free. It will bypass all sprint authorizations.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam