eBay SmartCase for Galaxy Tab - Initial thoughts and pics

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in a thread specific to the Smart Case article a couple weeks ago but someone suggested I start a new thread so it's obvious this contains information on the actual product.

Note: This is not the case shown in the Android central article made by a company that reportedly had relations to execs at Samsung. This is another product found on eBay that has a similar design but is probably of lesser quality at a lesser price.

So I finally received the product from eBay. It's still active at eBay SmartCase. It's definitely not of the same quality as the cover sold for our fruit flavored friends but for the price it's not bad at all.

A couple of the images showing the button/port/camera cutouts are not great quality...apologies.

First off it doesn't attach to the tablet. It uses the 'sleeve' approach where the tablet slides, with a rather right fit, into the cover. The material for the cover is a pretty industrial rubber that has a nice feel to it...smooth yet not slippery. The cover portion...what you might refer to as the 'smart' part I suppose, is made of the same rubber material with slats of a firmer material to give it stability.

My observations:
- It's a nice solid fit that can definitely provide some full-time protection for the tablet.
- It has cut outs for the proprietary port, all the buttons, the speakers and the camera
- Use of this cover, for the most part, helps retain it's slim characteristics that we bought it for
- Folding the cover portion into a stand works fairly well in both positions as shown in the photos

Some Cons:
- I definitely would not be comfortable counting on this as a rugged form of protection. Because of the nature of the cover (it folds) it does not provide a solid surface of protection against the screen. To be fair though, I don't think that is the intent of this product.
- The rubber material it's made of, while having a nice feel, seems to be a slight magnet for dust.

Overall, I think this is going to be a nice way of providing full-time protection to the tablet while still looking nice and retaining the general sleekness of the tablet. I'll probably use this for normal portability. However I will continue to slip the tablet (with the smart case) into my reinforced sleeve for extra protection when throwing it into my backpack. For $17 and free shipping it's definitely worth it.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I got this case and was upset with it. I most of the cut outs did not match up and it covered the ffc. I could have just gotten a bad one though. I

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11