Curious as to how well it works.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Default Re: New logitech keyboard case!

I had the original ZaggMate for iPad and it worked very well... I was hoping they would make this for the Tab, and actually emailed they're product development team early on in the Tab's life to suggest it. I'm glad they did!

Edit: However, I would much rather see a case-only option sans the keyboard. That is the version for iPad I have, and it is really great because you get much better angles for standing
    Last edited by Kevin Gossett; 08-10-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.

ROM
    Stock, Overcome 2.0

Mhmm, looks interesting...will wait for some reviews though

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

Quote Originally Posted by monsterenergy22 View Post
    Mhmm, looks interesting...will wait for some reviews though
    Ya... I agree with you. It looks really interesting!!! But I to want to see some short term reviews before I commit to getting one.

But I really like the whole idea of it and will most likely get one in the near future.

Sent From My Galaxy10.1 Class TouchWiz/ADWex equipped Starship
    Devices: Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G
    Samsung Galaxy10.1 16gb, Wifi

Just a question. I tether to my iphone via Bluetooth. Can I tether and use the keyboard at the same time if both are bluetooth?

Can anyone tell if the back of the tab is protected while in the case? Like the look of it though.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Not it won't be. The Tab goes in face down, so the back is completely exposed

Well that was not the answer I was looking for. May have to invest in a skin I guess.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Yeah, I have the same case for my ipad, and put a skin on it and the case. Very high quality case though

Yeah, it seems like it is pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by unforgiven View Post
    Just a question. I tether to my iphone via Bluetooth. Can I tether and use the keyboard at the same time if both are bluetooth?
    Yes, you can have multiple devices connected simultaneously through BlueTooth.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

how does it stand? i don't see any back support. looks like it would be easily dislodged (like bumped in the air as i have it on the back seat tray). also, looks like only one angle, right?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

The original ZaggMate had a foldable hinge system that was used for standing the iPad up, but it looks like they changed the design when they partnered with Logitech. Now it is just an angled slot that you slide the Tab into, so it is only one viewing angle, and I'm not sure how sturdy it stands
    Thanked by:
    werkx 

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

I just received my ship notification for this item...although the product page still says it's still just available for preorder. The Tracking number doesn't show they received the package yet so we'll see.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nalpakj View Post
    I just received my ship notification for this item...although the product page still says it's still just available for preorder. The Tracking number doesn't show they received the package yet so we'll see.
    sweet, please come back and let us know what you think of it.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

I was concerned it was a processing error on their part since it still says preorder on the wbe site but ups actually has a package in their posession that will be delivered tuesday. So its really coming. Im pretty excited about this both for protection and, especially as i am typing this very post using the on screen keyboard, for longer text entry.
    Thanked by:

I was concerned it was a processing error on their part since it still says preorder on the wbe site but ups actually has a package in their posession that will be delivered tuesday. So its really coming. Im pretty excited about this both for protection and, especially as i am typing this very post using the on screen keyboard, for longer text entry.
    awesome..! Can't wait for your review and unboxing. Hopefully your able to get it tomorrow. I plan on purchasing it tomorrow.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
    awesome..! Can't wait for your review and unboxing. Hopefully your able to get it tomorrow. I plan on purchasing it tomorrow.
    According to UPS it's out for delivery now so should be waiting for me when I get home tonight.

According to UPS it's out for delivery now so should be waiting for me when I get home tonight.
    When did you place your order? When did you notice it went to shipped? I just placed mine, and did 2day shipping. Hoping to get it this friday. lol

Keyboard is off preorder and now avail to Add to Cart. Still can't get the code to work. But I placed my order anyway.. lol

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nuprotocol View Post
    When did you place your order? When did you notice it went to shipped? I just placed mine, and did 2day shipping. Hoping to get it this friday. lol
    I preordered it as soon as they announced the product...a few weeks ago. I got an email notification that it was shipping on Spetember 8th.

Wonder how long before Worst Purchase has it in stock. I'd like to check it out in person before plunking down the coin.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

So there will be no fancy unboxing video here...in fact no video at all. But I do have some pictures and first impressions after using it briefly.

Keyboard Build Quality/Physical Features
    The build itself seems to be very solid. The outer casing is more than enough to protect the tab from any impact on the screen. It's got a nice long cutout along the bottom of the keyboard so your fingers/hands aren't resting uncomfortably over the ridge of the case. It's got cutouts for each speaker and the Sammy port. The cutouts will make it easy to charge or keep audio going while you have the tab stored in the case.

Keyboard Layout/Keys/Buttons
    As far as the keyboard, it's not bad. It's a little cramped but that's to be expected since it just covers the footprint of the tab. This sort of product will be difficult to make for a 7 inch tab...I can't see it getting any smaller than this. Power button and connect button are on the top right of the keyboard, positioned behind the tab when using the keyboard.

There are 14 convenience/shortcut keys above the numeric row for Cut, Copy, Paste, Email, Web, Voice Search, Contacts, Previous (Audio), Play/Pause (Audio), Next (Audio), Vol Up, Vol Down and Lock (which locks and powers off when the tab is on...and conversely powers on when the tab is off). Additionally there are dedicated Menu, Search, Home and Back keys. All the other keys are run of the mill keyboard buttons.

Pairing and Use
    The keyboard paired up with no problems at all and the responsiveness was very nice for both typing and when using the shortcut/navigation buttons. As mentioned above, the keyboard is understandably a little cramped but unless you've got big sausage fingers it's definitely usable.

Tablet Storage and Positioning
    This is the one area where I have a couple issues and where others might also.

First, there is no protection for the back of the tablet when it's stored in the keyboard. I knew this going in and to be honest it doesn't bother me much. More than no back protection, I'm [slightly] bothered by the gap between the tab and the keyboard when looking at it from the front. It's a necessary thing based on the design of the product but is an area where the screen does have some sort of exposure when stored.

Second, storing the tablet in the keyboard and removing it is a little awkward. If you look at the closeup picture showing the corner of the keyboard you can see that you have the metal portion of the case which is a sturdy 16" inch thick but then there is a 16" inch heavy foam rubber type padding that goes around the inner perimeter of the case. It's the tight fit of the tab within this rubber padding that holds it in the case. Because the fit needs to be tight enough to hold the tab in place (within reason..I gave it a few good shakes and it didn't move at all but wouldn't go too far with it) it's also a little difficult to get the tab into it all the way. I found after I stored and removed it several times it got a little easier and the overfit didn't seem to suffer. But it's not a simple 'lay the tab in and click to secure' process.

Third, when the keyboard is in use and the table is upright there is nothing firmly holding the tab in place. It rests in a well that runs the width of the keyboard (just between the keys and the 'Logitech' logo) but the slight angle of the tab towards the back is what holds it in place but there is nothing stopping it from falling forwards towards you (asuming it got knocked, or you lifted it up while in this position). Because of this I think it'll be fine for use on a table top but holding it on your lap could have mixed results depending on how much you move around.

Pros/Cons/Summary
    Pro: Solidly made
    Pro: Pairs Easily
    Pro: Highly responsive keyboard with some useful shortcut keys
    Pro: Cutouts for charing port and speakers allow easy access while tab is stored
    Pro: Good combo of keyboard and protection for the screen without the need for two separate accessories

Con: A little difficult to store in the case
    Con: Slightly unstable when in use for anything other than on a table/solid surface

Overall I think I'm happy with it and will give it a good try for a couple weeks. A nice addition to the design would have been a back cover to the case that 'locked' to the existing component which would have resulted in easier storage and removal AND solid 360 degree protection. Also, if designed right that back cover could have doubled as some sort of more stable support for the keyboard while it was in use so it wasn't relying solely on the well that it sits in when typing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New logitech keyboard case!-keyboardonly_back.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-keyboardonly_front.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-keyboardonly_leftside.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-keyboardonly_rightside.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-keyboardonly_cornercloseup.jpg  

New logitech keyboard case!-keyboardonly_top.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-withtabclosed_front.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-withtabclosed_leftside.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-withtabclosed_rightside.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-withtabclosed_top.jpg  

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

A couple more images with the tab in use...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New logitech keyboard case!-withtabopen_back.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-withtabopen_fullfrontal.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-withtabopen_side.jpg   New logitech keyboard case!-withtabopen_top.jpg  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast