Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has anyone tried using the tab as a laptop replacment

I saw this thread on precentral of a user recording his experiences of using his Touchpad as a laptop replacement for a week. i was wondering if anyone has tried this with the tab?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...no-laptop.html

Default Re: Has anyone tried using the tab as a laptop replacment

I did for a week. There's not a tablet yet that can replace a laptop. The Tab can do a lot of things, but when it comes to storing, organizing, and editing my large collection of videos, pictures, and music, I need my laptop. That said, the Tab does well at what I do MOST...media and info consumption.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

I've given this alot of thought. I use a laptop as my primary computer, but o don't tend to keep it on. It is really nice to be able to whip out an always on device. Mainly, the biggest problem for me has been using the internet. Certain websites don't respond properly. Other than that, I have barely used my laptop since getting my tab.

~Drew

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

As much as I love my Tab, nothing will replace my MacBook Pro. I love using my Tab at work (I work for Ghost Armor) and having a quick access to phones I've armored and good for looking at everyone's schedules, also for pulling up records without using a laptop. But at home when Im doing a lot of typing, I need a laptop.

I have a high-powered gaming laptop that pulls about 1.5kW just sitting still. That's a lot of wasted energy and cost when just browsing the web or checking email. Since getting the GTab I have only used the laptop for torrents (which then get xferred to the GTab) and Quicken. I haven't calculated ROI on energy savings, but the convenience and portability factor make it a win. Now I just need to find a good stylus and some handwriting recognition software and maybe the Samsung keyboard/folio case (to replace this Belkin case).

So, not a total replacement of the laptop, but I'm getting there.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Depends on what your using it for. As a sales rep on the road, its an outstanding laptop replacement. No pulling it out going through airport security, instant on, extended battery life. All of my email, calendar, office documents etc. Between Dropbox and Mozy syncing is also minimal.
    You'll still need a desktop or laptop at home, but for road trips they are awesome.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

It's pretty much replaced my laptop, when I need to do a lot of typing I just pull out my bluetooth keyboard.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neova333 View Post
    It's pretty much replaced my laptop, when I need to do a lot of typing I just pull out my bluetooth keyboard.
    +1! I just got home and paired my Apple bt keyboard to my Tab, and now I'm writing this!

~Drew
    captsoto likes this.

I am pretty close to replacing mine. I love that its "always on." No waiting to boot up! I also don't hesitate to write lengthy emails using the touchscreen keyboard. The more I use it that way, the better I've gotten at typing on it.

I still have some light audio editing I do that I am unable to do on the Tab, (but of course could be done on an ipad.)

Also it does bother me that if I buy music on my Tab or or phone, I would still have to get it on my computer to have Google Music sync it.

I bought two Tabs, one for my wife and one for me, about two months ago. Her desktop computer was dying, and I gave her the choice of another desktop or a tablet (either an iPad2 or an SGT, I didn't care which). She went for the Tab, and on impulse I picked one up for myself.

I've got a Linux desktop computer that has essentially become the house server, with a 4 2TB drives in a RAID 10 config. I only sit at it when I want to rip a new CD, DVD, or an album.
    The Acer Aspire One netbook I bought a year ago to use for casual surfing when in the family room is about to go on eBay.

I use my Tab for anything I used the netbook for. I use my GoogleTV for watching Netflix, etc.

I think tablets are where personal computing is going.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Until it can use internet explorer then it will not replace a computer hince it will never replace it. Its good as a phone replacement but not as a laptop replacement

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

I really love my tablet, but I'm not about to get rid of my laptop. You can get a laptop with a larger screen and much better specs for a couple of hundred $ less than a 10.1 tablet. Again: I love my tablet, but it is what it is.

Tablets are great for consuming (media, email, web...), but actually creating emails, documents, pretty much any data entry - not so much.

I took my tab on a trip a couple of weeks ago and tried to use it as my primary 'computer'. Granted I don't have a keyboard, but it wasn't completely different from using my HTC Desire (aside from the obvious larger screen).
    Last edited by ziggster; 08-16-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggster View Post
    I really love my tablet, but I'm not about to get rid of my laptop. You can get a laptop with a larger screen and much better specs for a couple of hundred $ less than a 10.1 tablet. Again: I love my tablet, but it is what it is.

Tablets are great for consuming (media, email, web...), but actually creating emails, documents, pretty much any data entry - not so much.

I took my tab on a trip a couple of weeks ago and tried to use it as my primary 'computer'. Granted I don't have a keyboard, but it wasn't completely different from using my HTC Desire (aside from the obvious larger screen).
    I put Swype Beta on mine before the upgrade last week. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best way to do data entry on a tablet, short of a bluetooth keyboard. I took my Tab to a conference last weekend and used it to take notes at several of the seminars. Using Swype made it very easy. It probably helped that I am a touch typist and knew the keyboard layout already.

At 10.1", the display on the Tab isn't much different than the display on an AspireOne, and the Tab is much easier to cradle in your lap and write than a netbook. IMO.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

I only use my laptop for Quickbooks, remote control (LogMeIn), and PRINTING.

I know LMI is available, but I'm not willing to pay for it yet. I already bought Ignition and Central, I shouldn't have to buy something else.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Until it can use internet explorer then it will not replace a computer hince it will never replace it. Its good as a phone replacement but not as a laptop replacement

I would say very few people need to use IE in their home life. Work life may be different. I use my XPS17 still for development work, streaming netflix on a bigger screen, photo editing, etc. It definitely can't replace my laptop because of the things I use my laptop for. It has completely replaced my laptop for general browsing and 50% of my Netflix streaming, however.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.

ROM
    Tbolt rooted, GT10.1 TW

I replaced mine... I had an HP laptop for personal use and gave it to my sister... I also have a laptop for work, but the Tab has totally replaced it, except for proprietary access to my company's systems...

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

I couldn't do it with the tab. I tried, and it didn't work. If a laptop replacement is what you are after, look into the Transformer.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Android tab. Cool. But garbage. IpAd. Just garbage. Fall 2012. Windows 8. Tabs. Bring it on.

Of course you could get an Asus slate with windows 7. But I'm waiting.

Bottom line. There isn't one that can. And if its Android. The OS is just going to be another version of Linux. I would like to see Android OS run Linux apps on a tab though.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Beans v17

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post

Internet Explorer? Are you serious? Really? As a computer security professional...I haven't used IE in well over 10 years. For anything. And, as a security expert in my field, I can assure you that IE is one of the biggest security risks on a Windows machine.

As for the Tab, run Orbot and TOR on it and you'll be fine.
    Current devices - SGS3, SGN2, N7, N8, S7
    Metaphor. likes this.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Well I work for a very large company. And when I need something insurance, payroll, loads, etc it has to be done through IE. There's no using ff with a ie tab or remote connections. IE maybe a security risk but its still the number one browser for corporation's. Why do u think tablets haven't cought on. Once a windows tablet comes out and is functionol then corporations will swing to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBConsultation View Post
    Internet Explorer? Are you serious? Really? As a computer security professional...I haven't used IE in well over 10 years. For anything. And, as a security expert in my field, I can assure you that IE is one of the biggest security risks on a Windows machine.

As for the Tab, run Orbot and TOR on it and you'll be fine.

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
    ads

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ICS

I don't have one yet, considering this and new Lenovo that has keyboard, but that brings up my main point. You ask a GREAT question for the times, but I think you need to do a poll or categorize it w/regards to use. That is, what (use/function) is it replacing? I'd love to replace my laptop, but to do that, I MUST have a flawless keyboard for significant email/data entry for work, And really would like to see a native Open Office implementation - even though that would approach bloatware on a tab. But it does open and edit almost any MS office tool, is free, and would allow me to truly function as a work tool. Also, I need a VERY flexible VPN app. Cisco LEAP, configurable tunneling protocols, etc since it has to work on my company's network AND multiple client wifi networks. For me, I'll always have a home machine for storage, vids, access to home network, etc, and would do any video/concall stuff across that wired interface for cost reasons, but those could be primary to some folks, hence the need to delineate use patterns for this question to be more meaningful.

ADS

There are weeks that I go with our touching my computer or my keyboard at home. My Xoom has really been doing the job for me when it comes to personal stuff. But when it comes to the job it just has not been able to cut it. It is nice when I am out running around doing IT work, but all I use it for is to remote back to my Desktop so I do use it but it is like cheating, I use it to gain access to my real machine. I think it is eventually going to be my main device but for now it is still a distant 2nd.

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

For me its more like an accessory to my laptop. I use the tab at school for books, and to email my teachers and edit documents on the go.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

It can only replace your laptop if you do things that the tab is able to do. Internet, music, letters etc fine but any deep, not light, coding, graphic manipulation it will be hard.

I have a BT keyboard, USB adaptor and wireless mouse, and a stand, when i set this up to write right docs/letters etc it works great.

I have links setup to access file storage on others machines that i own and are on and i remote into them.

For the great, screen, battery life and light weight the Tab is a laptop replacement for me just ask yourself what you really do on your laptop first.

It would be able to replace the computer at home but not the one at work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast