What ROM to Flash?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
i'm looking for some suggestions, please. i have the wifi retail version (32gb white, does that matter?) i've rooted, and done a backup. have not upgraded to TW UX, tried, didn't work, and now the OTA is "pulled". i'd like to try a ROM, but have not flashed anything before, so a bit timid. how best to determine which ROM to flash?

anyone running a ROM or have run a ROM for the retail wifi 10.1? what's a good one for a noob, where i don't have to worry about potential bugs or non-working basic functions?

thanks in advanced for your thoughts.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The best and easiest one for your case would probably be the official TW UX, which you can download at XDA in this post. You have the choice of stock + root or deodexed stock + root. They are both flashed in CWM. The difference between the two is with the deodexed version, you have the option to flash themes and mods, such as the bar mods found here

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The best and easiest one for your case would probably be the official TW UX, which you can download at XDA in this post. You have the choice of stock + root or deodexed stock + root. They are both flashed in CWM. The difference between the two is with the deodexed version, you have the option to flash themes and mods, such as the bar mods found here

thanks. noob questions, i thought i understood the difference between ROM and kernel, but still not so sure, especially when you mentioned themes and mods, too. okay, so what's the difference in regards to flashing, flashing order and user experience?

ROM - i can flash one on top each other for different OS and UX as-is, right?
themes and mods - if the ROM allows it, i can flash (or install?) on top of the ROM a different theme or mod? not sure about this.
kernel - this is more at the bottom layer, so if i want to flash (or install?) a kernel i need to do that first, then flash a ROM on top of it for complete experience, right?

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
kernel - this is more at the bottom layer, so if i want to flash (or install?) a kernel i need to do that first, then flash a ROM on top of it for complete experience, right?

No, roms come with their own kernel. If you'd like to flash a different/custom kernel, you do it after flashing the rom. :)

Sent from my Asus Decepticon using Tapatalk

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
No, roms come with their own kernel. If you'd like to flash a different/custom kernel, you do it after flashing the rom. :)

Sent from my Asus Decepticon using Tapatalk

confused. so what you are saying is i have to flash a ROM first, then flash a kernel on top of it? sorry, that doesn't make sense. can you clarify with example? thanks.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Just start by flashing a rom; don't worry about kernels yet. I like Starburst, myself. Download the rom of your choice to your Tab. Go into CWM, I recommend wiping data, cache, and Dalvik cache when installing a new rom. Then flash the rom.

neova333

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
confused. so what you are saying is i have to flash a ROM first, then flash a kernel on top of it? sorry, that doesn't make sense. can you clarify with example? thanks.

I guess the simplest way to look at it is like this, the ROM is a complete OS, of which a kernel is a part.

When you flash a kernel, you are overwriting the one that comes with the ROM, and replacing it with your own (in most cases, so that you can overclock the device).

As for which ROM to recommend, I would say just get the stock deodexed one from here: [ROM] Update 8 aug: Official TW UEKMB for CWM, Doc's slim UEKMB V6.5 in post 2 - xda-developers

With a deodexed rom you can flash different themes and install some useful mods such as the optimized launcher from here: (Apps) 7 aug: Doc's optimized apps collection, Launcher2, Android 3.2 - xda-developers and the desktop UA mod from here: [MOD] Browser useragent set to "Desktop" for 7510 and 7500 Update 5/8: UEKMB added - xda-developers