Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

If connect the tablet to a laptop, it will reduce the battery life if we are charging and using (data transfer) the battery at the same time. I think Samsung purposely design in this way to protect the battery. That's why we need to turn off the tablet in order to allow the battery charging operation alone without any data transfer.

If connect the tablet to power socket, the tablet can directly get the power from socket but not from battery. So, battery will stay in rest mode and get charging.

I think you can work around this with a charge only cable, right? They are cheaper, and lack pins for data... Should only provide charge.

Edit: May have to use an extension cable to do this, now that I actually engage thought processes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by majneeds2chill View Post
    Plug the USB in. Turn off your tablet and then press the power button but don't turn it on. A battery charging icon should appear. It works for my galaxy tab 2 7.0!
    My Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is definitely charging via the laptop USB when it's shut down. I also had the red X over the battery icon with it turned on, but when I turn off the Tab I can see the battery charging indicator on the screen. It must draw too much when turned on as others have described.

hey mate , had the same problem and actually i got to this blog because i was looking for a solution... the thing is if u had the tab off , and connect it to the pc it will charge .. hope this helps u .

Hello,

Can you confirm that it is definitively not possible to charge a Samsung Tab 10 or 7 from a computer USB cable ?

Thanks.

hmm .. sufficient current theory very not true.. cuz millions of devices can be n will charge via UBS car chargers n all other device that uses a UBS jack.. or it could be the android OS it self causing the auto detection to change to charging to MTP mode.. ..

Just try switching off the tablet, it will start recharging straight away!

This link might help.

Quote Originally Posted by mezrik View Post
    The computer's USB port does not supply enough current to charge the tab, unfortunately.
    hallo bro....

before i updated my tab 7 to android version 4.1.2.. I able to used the tablet at my laptop while charging.... the purpose I connect the tablet to the lappy coz its act as modem.. I thetering with laptop... so while doing surfing the net via laptop , the tablet can be charging.. there are no that red devil cross [X] appeared...its happened when I updated the android version to 4.1.2... before this my tablet running on android version 4.0.1

so..the summarise is.. when using android version 4.0.1 the tablet can be charge and can be thatered / use at the laptop in the same time...
    but when updated to android version 4.1.2 it cant operate ... its only can be thered / used at the laptop or for charging.. its just either one only..

so pls do help me how to solved the problem...

hmm yess.... i did that.. but thats kind of step cant tethering to the computer...its just can only charge the tablet...
    before i update the android version to the 4.1.2 .... i can tethering the tab to the computer and in the same time the tablet is charging nicely...

I had the same problem, the battery had discharged to zero and the tablet would not turn on. I plugged it into the charger which I usually used.
    The tablet would show the charging battery icon on the screen with a round icon then it would show the battery which would show 2 gold charge bars
    then the screen would go dead and all would be repeated. When I plugged it into my PC I would get the ding dong as it was first recognised then the ding dong
    again as if it was being removed. The wall chargers I was using were for HTC phones and rated as .5 amps output.

I solved the problem in the end when I plugged it into an apple iphone charger. I believe the original Samsung charger is rated at 2.1amps. I guess the
    apple charger must be rated 2amps or so (The text is so small I can't read it??!!).

It seems that if the battery charge is too low the tablet can't negotiate the input from a lower power charger. Best bet is to never let the battery
    charge go lower than 15% then although it will take longer the lower power chargers will work.

same as mee

i had google a bit and found this tutorial. It works for me ^_^...thanks to who upload this on YT.i'm using brand less usb cable

While connecting the USB cable to computer's USB port, push it only half way. This worked for me. I saw this information in some other forum and this works for my Galaxy Tab 7.0. If you push it full, it will stop charging. I think it is the same thing red_ruewei is mentioning. This will work.

This post was most helpful. I actually powered down my Tab and then pressed the power button and the charging symbol appeared showing that it is charging...just slower...which is fine because I am an overnight charging kinda girl anyhow. Thanks

so cute <3

Default Re: Why won't my Galaxy Tab charge through my computer?

This Works, Thanks.

This Works, Thanks.

Default Re: Why won't my Galaxy Tab charge through my computer?

From my experience I have notices ALL android phones (that I have used anyway, samsung and motorola.) will not charge from a USB connected to a computer if the battery is dead. I must be charged with a wall or car charger or have >5% battery life.

my tablet is currently doing the exact same thing as yours but ive charged it all day for like six hours and all day yesterday and nothings working, ive changed chargers and now its plugged into the computer and it wont turn on? my iphone charger doesnt fit in my tablet one so i cant try a different charger other than the one ive got so im really confused?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telford_UK View Post
    I had the same problem, the battery had discharged to zero and the tablet would not turn on. I plugged it into the charger which I usually used.
    The tablet would show the charging battery icon on the screen with a round icon then it would show the battery which would show 2 gold charge bars
    then the screen would go dead and all would be repeated. When I plugged it into my PC I would get the ding dong as it was first recognised then the ding dong
    again as if it was being removed. The wall chargers I was using were for HTC phones and rated as .5 amps output.

I solved the problem in the end when I plugged it into an apple iphone charger. I believe the original Samsung charger is rated at 2.1amps. I guess the
    apple charger must be rated 2amps or so (The text is so small I can't read it??!!).

It seems that if the battery charge is too low the tablet can't negotiate the input from a lower power charger. Best bet is to never let the battery
    charge go lower than 15% then although it will take longer the lower power chargers will work.

Thank you very much, now I know whats wrong. I tried bunch of stuff by messing with developer options and so. Stupid Galaxy.

I had the same problem with my Tab Pro 8.4. I bought a 6 ft/2 m usb extesion coord so I can plug in my tablet while using it while it is plugged in to the samsung plug, the first website I post below is something similar. I also noticed the problem on my Tab Pro connected to my computer while traveling out of the country. The second following website explains the difference in the plug and computer USB port. It does charge the Tab Pro while plugged into the computer, just a bit slower. You can used the tab while plugged in, but not entirely sure if it drains the battery or just maintains the level. I hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cabl...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

My Tab Won't Charge While Connected To The PC : Wi-Fi Tabs | Samsung
    sam noujaim likes this.

Hello,

So for old galazy tabs we must switch them off to be able to charge with computer USB but

what about newest galazy tabs, is the problem still the same ?

Thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12