Why won't my Galaxy Tab charge through my computer?

vrtualchik

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I keep trying to charge my galaxy tab through my computer because connecting it to an outlet means I can't use it while it's charging since the cord is so short. However, everytime I plug it into the computer to charge it just shows USB connection and a red inside the battery.

I even bought an extra charging/data cable from samsung and it specifically states on the box that it charges the tablet via USB connection.
Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong?
I'd appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

I keep trying to charge my galaxy tab through my computer because connecting it to an outlet means I can't use it while it's charging since the cord is so short. However, everytime I plug it into the computer to charge it just shows USB connection and a red inside the battery.

I even bought an extra charging/data cable from samsung and it specifically states on the box that it charges the tablet via USB connection.
Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong?
I'd appreciate the help.

I noticed this also. It's probably one of the only mobile devices that i have that doesn't charge when plugged into computer usb. In any case, maybe it only works when you use the actual samsung usb adapter and then connect the tab to the computer via usb cable, which if that's the case, it's just dumb. I've been trying to get kies to work for me in as many ways as possible.

vrtualchik

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

I would hope that isn't the case since the cable I bought specifically states that it's for charging the tab through the computer using the USB and it's a Samsung product bought from the Samsung website.

I hope there is some way to get this to work because the short cord of the original charger really stinks!
Maybe someone will have an answer for us alcor, keep your fingers crossed x.
I have the USB connector, but can I use any USB cable, if so I will see if this will work in the meantime.

If anyone has any ideas please share.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

If it's like the Ipad which charges at 5volt 1amp then the usb will charge the device at .5amp but the screen has to be off. I could be wrong but I always thought my Ipad wasn't charging because that is what the device said but as soon as the screen went off it would charge it but very slowly.

mezrik

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I would hope that isn't the case since the cable I bought specifically states that it's for charging the tab through the computer using the USB and it's a Samsung product bought from the Samsung website.

It is possible that the cable you purchased is for the original galaxy tab (7") which has a smaller battery and can probably be charged via the USB port.

I agree that the included cable is way too short for using the tab while charging.

quocamole

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

The computer's USB port does not supply enough current to charge the tab, unfortunately.

this. usb out is about 500mAh

If it's like the Ipad which charges at 5volt 1amp then the usb will charge the device at .5amp but the screen has to be off. I could be wrong but I always thought my Ipad wasn't charging because that is what the device said but as soon as the screen went off it would charge it but very slowly.

and this. sgt has to be completely off to charge via usb.

vrtualchik

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes this is the one for the 10.1 for sure. My son actually has the 7" so I knew I had to pay close attention to what I purchased.
What I don't understand is why Samsung sell an accessory they claim can charge the tablet through the computer if the computer doesn't put out enough power to charge it in the first place! Considering they made the darn thing, you'd think they would know this.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Buy a USB extension cable. Put it between the charger and your charger cable. Then at least you can charge from the wall. I am using a 6 foot extension cable I bought years ago.

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

Yes this is the one for the 10.1 for sure. My son actually has the 7" so I knew I had to pay close attention to what I purchased.
What I don't understand is why Samsung sell an accessory they claim can charge the tablet through the computer if the computer doesn't put out enough power to charge it in the first place! Considering they made the darn thing, you'd think they would know this.

You know using a tower or laptop makes a huge difference with usb charging. Also if its a tower plug the usb into the back and not the front. From what ive learned the back ports provide more power than the front ones. And well with a laptop you can guess.

Wonder if that will make a diff. Maybe thats also why the cord is longer so it can reach the back with cord to spare lol.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I have used a male to female USB cable as an extension for my Tab charging cable. It may slow the charging down some but it still works OK!

I hate having to have a special cable to charge my galaxy tab!

mel897

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

The tablet requires about 1A or 1,000 mA to charge. A desktop can supply about 500mA of current. If you turn your Tablet completely off, it will charge slowly... I often charge this way overnight when my Tab is docked. If the Tablet is turned on, it may draw down the battery almost as fast as the USB port can supply the current, so it will generally charge very slowly if at all. It depends on how bright the display is and whether WI-Fi and Bluetooth is on. The other caveat is some USB hubs and some laptops can not supply the USB specified 500mA so then it will not charge. A rule of thumb, if you have a USB hub that splits one port into many and it does not have it's own power supply, it will not supply anywhere near 500mA. So in summary... if you hook up to a primary USB port on a desktop, it will charge slowly. Otherwise, it may not.

Jacksmyname

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

You know using a tower or laptop makes a huge difference with usb charging. Also if its a tower plug the usb into the back and not the front. From what ive learned the back ports provide more power than the front ones.

Correct.
When I want to use my tab while charging, I just use a regular extension cord.
I often sit outside in our screened patio while using the tab, especially when the weather is nice (like today).
If I need to charge the battery, I just plug the adapter into the extension cord and continue using the tab.

norvilrodgers

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

I have found my tablet will not charge on my toshiba satellite but it does charge on my toshiba qosmio.

majneeds2chill

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Plug the USB in. Turn off your tablet and then press the power button but don't turn it on. A battery charging icon should appear. It works for my galaxy tab 2 7.0!

gazeranco

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

As others have mentioned the USB doesn't supply enough power, It does appear to charge when powered off while I work on my laptop, I wonder if you can buy something that steps the power up out of a usb port... I have a USB extension cable which splits into 2 at the pc end... I thought this would increase power but it makes no difference.

gazeranco

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Just an update.. i installed this:-

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

Not sure if it has made a difference, it still says its not charging, but it definitely is.. it went from 6% to 8% in approx 20 minutes... I wasn't using the tab though... its just on standby.

Install that software at your own risk as it appears to increase the power to your usb ports, if they weren't designed to take that extra power then this is potentially bad?

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

zamankhan

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

undefined
Please shut down the tab & then connect with the computer. Don't switch on...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995