Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why won't my Galaxy Tab charge through my computer?

    I keep trying to charge my galaxy tab through my computer because connecting it to an outlet means I can't use it while it's charging since the cord is so short. However, everytime I plug it into the computer to charge it just shows USB connection and a red inside the battery.

    I even bought an extra charging/data cable from samsung and it specifically states on the box that it charges the tablet via USB connection.
    Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong?
    I'd appreciate the help.
  2. #2  
    alcor34's Avatar

    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by vrtualchik View Post
    I keep trying to charge my galaxy tab through my computer because connecting it to an outlet means I can't use it while it's charging since the cord is so short. However, everytime I plug it into the computer to charge it just shows USB connection and a red inside the battery.

    I even bought an extra charging/data cable from samsung and it specifically states on the box that it charges the tablet via USB connection.
    Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong?
    I'd appreciate the help.
    I noticed this also. It's probably one of the only mobile devices that i have that doesn't charge when plugged into computer usb. In any case, maybe it only works when you use the actual samsung usb adapter and then connect the tab to the computer via usb cable, which if that's the case, it's just dumb. I've been trying to get kies to work for me in as many ways as possible.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    I would hope that isn't the case since the cable I bought specifically states that it's for charging the tab through the computer using the USB and it's a Samsung product bought from the Samsung website.

    I hope there is some way to get this to work because the short cord of the original charger really stinks!
    Maybe someone will have an answer for us alcor, keep your fingers crossed x.
    I have the USB connector, but can I use any USB cable, if so I will see if this will work in the meantime.

    If anyone has any ideas please share.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    The computer's USB port does not supply enough current to charge the tab, unfortunately.
    Thanked by 2:
  5. #5  
    syphex's Avatar

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    If it's like the Ipad which charges at 5volt 1amp then the usb will charge the device at .5amp but the screen has to be off. I could be wrong but I always thought my Ipad wasn't charging because that is what the device said but as soon as the screen went off it would charge it but very slowly.
    Samsung Galaxy S ll Epic 4G Touch [FF18]
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by vrtualchik View Post
    I would hope that isn't the case since the cable I bought specifically states that it's for charging the tab through the computer using the USB and it's a Samsung product bought from the Samsung website.
    It is possible that the cable you purchased is for the original galaxy tab (7") which has a smaller battery and can probably be charged via the USB port.

    I agree that the included cable is way too short for using the tab while charging.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by mezrik View Post
    The computer's USB port does not supply enough current to charge the tab, unfortunately.
    this. usb out is about 500mAh

    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    If it's like the Ipad which charges at 5volt 1amp then the usb will charge the device at .5amp but the screen has to be off. I could be wrong but I always thought my Ipad wasn't charging because that is what the device said but as soon as the screen went off it would charge it but very slowly.
    and this. sgt has to be completely off to charge via usb.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Yes this is the one for the 10.1 for sure. My son actually has the 7" so I knew I had to pay close attention to what I purchased.
    What I don't understand is why Samsung sell an accessory they claim can charge the tablet through the computer if the computer doesn't put out enough power to charge it in the first place! Considering they made the darn thing, you'd think they would know this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Buy a USB extension cable. Put it between the charger and your charger cable. Then at least you can charge from the wall. I am using a 6 foot extension cable I bought years ago.
  10. #10  
    alcor34's Avatar

    Posts
    344 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by vrtualchik View Post
    Yes this is the one for the 10.1 for sure. My son actually has the 7" so I knew I had to pay close attention to what I purchased.
    What I don't understand is why Samsung sell an accessory they claim can charge the tablet through the computer if the computer doesn't put out enough power to charge it in the first place! Considering they made the darn thing, you'd think they would know this.
    You know using a tower or laptop makes a huge difference with usb charging. Also if its a tower plug the usb into the back and not the front. From what ive learned the back ports provide more power than the front ones. And well with a laptop you can guess.

    Wonder if that will make a diff. Maybe thats also why the cord is longer so it can reach the back with cord to spare lol.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    I have used a male to female USB cable as an extension for my Tab charging cable. It may slow the charging down some but it still works OK!

    I hate having to have a special cable to charge my galaxy tab!
  12. #12  
    mel897's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    The tablet requires about 1A or 1,000 mA to charge. A desktop can supply about 500mA of current. If you turn your Tablet completely off, it will charge slowly... I often charge this way overnight when my Tab is docked. If the Tablet is turned on, it may draw down the battery almost as fast as the USB port can supply the current, so it will generally charge very slowly if at all. It depends on how bright the display is and whether WI-Fi and Bluetooth is on. The other caveat is some USB hubs and some laptops can not supply the USB specified 500mA so then it will not charge. A rule of thumb, if you have a USB hub that splits one port into many and it does not have it's own power supply, it will not supply anywhere near 500mA. So in summary... if you hook up to a primary USB port on a desktop, it will charge slowly. Otherwise, it may not.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by alcor34 View Post
    You know using a tower or laptop makes a huge difference with usb charging. Also if its a tower plug the usb into the back and not the front. From what ive learned the back ports provide more power than the front ones.
    Correct.
    When I want to use my tab while charging, I just use a regular extension cord.
    I often sit outside in our screened patio while using the tab, especially when the weather is nice (like today).
    If I need to charge the battery, I just plug the adapter into the extension cord and continue using the tab.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    I have found my tablet will not charge on my toshiba satellite but it does charge on my toshiba qosmio.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Plug the USB in. Turn off your tablet and then press the power button but don't turn it on. A battery charging icon should appear. It works for my galaxy tab 2 7.0!
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    As others have mentioned the USB doesn't supply enough power, It does appear to charge when powered off while I work on my laptop, I wonder if you can buy something that steps the power up out of a usb port... I have a USB extension cable which splits into 2 at the pc end... I thought this would increase power but it makes no difference.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Just an update.. i installed this:-

    http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

    Not sure if it has made a difference, it still says its not charging, but it definitely is.. it went from 6% to 8% in approx 20 minutes... I wasn't using the tab though... its just on standby.

    Install that software at your own risk as it appears to increase the power to your usb ports, if they weren't designed to take that extra power then this is potentially bad?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    I ran into this post when looking for a solution to a similar problem. The Tab charges at two different voltages, And only fast charges using the included charger; Plugin a laptop (or desktop) wont do it. This guy explains it a lot better tho.
    Cheers.

    Galaxy Tab charging issue + solution - xda-developers
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Amazon.com: PWR+ USB Filter Plug for USB Cable Charger Ac Adapter Power Supply Cord for Apple Ipad 2, Iphone 4 4s 3gs 3g, Ipod Touch / Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet / Le Pan 1 2 / Barnes & Noble Nook Color Bnrv200 Nookcolor / Amazon Kindle 1 2 Touch Fire

    Hi...I was reading through your posts. I had seen this on amazon when looking for a longer cord...this looked like it applied to the tab 2 as well. Hope this helps..nt
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    undefined
    Please shut down the tab & then connect with the computer. Don't switch on...
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    All you need to do is to turn you Galaxy tab off and connect the usb cable to the computer ,then the charging icon will appear on the screen.That works for me.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew123456565 View Post
    All you need to do is to turn you Galaxy tab off and connect the usb cable to the computer ,then the charging icon will appear on the screen.That works for me.
    The whole point is to be able to use the Tablet while charging it through the USB. I was able to always do this with an Acer, a Thoshiba, a Motorola, an Asus, AND a rooted/CM9 Galaxy Tab 7!! Why in the world cant a Galaxy Tab 2 do it with stock OS is beyond me. I am willing to bet that a flashed Galaxy Tab2 is able to charage through the USB. If anyone has a custom ROM on a Tab2, let us know.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    so far the only way i have found is to turn off tab it will charge then and i agree that is stupid
    Note: When you connect your device to a computer via USB
    cable, the data connection takes precedence over
    charging, and the device will only charge when it is
    turned off. from user manual
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

  25. #25  

    Default Re: Why won't my galaxy tab charge through my computer?

    I had the same problem, if I turn the device off, and then plug it into the computer it starts charging.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions