External hard drives not working

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Been enjoying my Galaxy Tab a lot, especially enjoying being able to connect it to my camera and show the pictures to other people on the Tab. Much better than showing them off on the camera's LCD.

Unfortunately, my other goal with the tablet was to move files from the camera to my tab and then to an external hard drive for safekeeping (and also because external hard drives are much cheaper than more SD cards) and that is not working. I first tried a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex and it said that it needed more power than the Tab could provide. No big deal; I tried to hook it up via a USB Hub with its own power cable. It still didn't work. Then I tried a Western Digital MyBook drive. It has its own power cable, and seemed to be able to work, but moments after the MyFiles app opens (it does so automatically once I plug it in), I get a notice that the drive was unsafely removed. Well, I haven't removed it.

Both drives are formatted for FAT32 using Fat32Format for Windows. I'm using the Tab with the TouchWiz update applied. Both drives work fine on my laptop. Bad Tab?

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Let me qualify that...I have only hooked an hd up to an Asus transformer. I haven't purchased the usb adapter for the GT.

Still, didn't fat32 pretty much go away with Win98?

Edit: Looks like you are correct...no NTFS.

Bush league!

Last edited:

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing the Yab just doesn't support external hard drives. I tried the 500GB Seagate FFreeAgentGoFlex drive using a self-powered USB hub and a dual USB cable (one of the ends is for power only).

I plug the drive in, the status bar displays "USB Device Connected", and after a moment, the Samsung MyFiles app opens automatically. A split second after the app opens, the status bar displays "USB Device Unexpectedly Removed" and the MyFiles app does display the drive's root folder but I can't access any files nor copy anything to it. If I leave the drive connected after receiving this message and close the MyFiles app, when I open it again, the Storages folder no longer displays any content.

Figuring this may just be my Tab, I tried it on a coworker's Tab (his is the 16 GB model, mine is 32 GB) and the exact same thing happened on it. We also tried a Western Digital MyBook drive which has its own power supply and had the same result on both Tabs. Meanwhile, digital cameras, USB pendrives and card readers work just fine on both Tabs.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm able to transfer files to my external drive just fine. I have a NTFS drive, which the Tab can't read. So I used a partition app to partition a portion of my drive to FAT 32 to use with my Tab.
I allocated about 30 GB just for the Tablet. If your tab is having problems reading your drive, there could be the possibility that the allocated space it's trying to read is too high. Think I read somewhere that some devices can't read FAT 32 drives higher than 200 GB.
If this is the case, partition a portion of the drive to a smaller amount to be used with your tablet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

genkilljoy

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I have read before the capacity is 32gigs as the SD card is and yes the drive has to be formatted Fat32 with the first drive being 32 gig tops. It has to be the first drive. So 250 gig drive will be A drive 30 gig Fat32 Drive B would be 220 NTFS for everything else. Also the drive has to have an external power source. It would be nice if the next evolution of the keyboard docking station would allow USB drive to be used avoiding all the hassle.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just gave up on the possibility of transferring photos to an external hard drive with my Tab and just bought another 32GB SD Card for my camera.

I formatted the Seagate drive and a Western Digital drive in FAT32 format and no go. Then I tried to partition both drives in multiple combination, all the way from a single FAT32 partition for the whole drive to a max partition size of 200 GB at FAT32 (working down to 8 GB) with the rest as unallocated space and it didn't work. I also tried multiple partitions, 8 and 16 GB in size and it wasn't working either. Nothing worked. I'd really like to see someone show me this working on their Tab as I just don't think ot works. Of course, maybe it's just that the software I'm using, Partition Master, sucks...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't connected my HD since I updated to TW, but my 500gb Seagate worked just fine without partitions. I will give it a try when I get home tonight

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So it certainly would appear that the Touchwiz update killed the external drive functionality... so that's just wonderful :-\

I even tried removing the My Files app, since it automatically opened when the drive was connected, thinking maybe it had something to do with it. No go. I'll keep digging to see if I can work this out

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The only external hard drive that will work in a normal setting is the Segate "wireless" 500Gb . It is very nice.. it is compatible with the tab, your desktop, laptop, or even an Ipad... has a very long battery life and is very light.. can support sending files to 3 different devices at once...

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So it certainly would appear that the Touchwiz update killed the external drive functionality... so that's just wonderful :-\

So that means it used to work before Touchwiz? Hmm, is there a way to go back? Else, I hope Samsung can issue a new update that fixes this by Tuesday since I leave on Wednesday :/

Mri Nadu

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a seagate backup plus slim and i want to connect it to my samsung tab 2 7"
But it is not working ,so what should i do next. ...
I also have a lg optimus g pro ,any chance it may work with it

Posted via Android Central App

Curtis Taylor

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
How do you partion a portion of your drive exactly? My samsung note pro will not read my external hardrive but my galaxy note 4 will and with the sidesync app im able to acces my hardrive through my tablet but I would like to be able to directly connect my harddrive to my tablet instead of the round about way
I'm able to transfer files to my external drive just fine. I have a NTFS drive, which the Tab can't read. So I used a partition app to partition a portion of my drive to FAT 32 to use with my Tab.
I allocated about 30 GB just for the Tablet. If your tab is having problems reading your drive, there could be the possibility that the allocated space it's trying to read is too high. Think I read somewhere that some devices can't read FAT 32 drives higher than 200 GB.
If this is the case, partition a portion of the drive to a smaller amount to be used with your tablet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Curtis Taylor

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Im able to connect my seagate backup plus 2 terra external drive to my galaxy note 4 then open the sidesync app on my phone and my note pro 12.2 and by doing that im able to transfer files from my tablet to my external hard drive. I can even plug a fly leaf 32 gb usb flashdrive into my note pro while my external hard drive is plugged into my galaxy note 4 and transfer stuff directly from flash drive to the hard drive using sidesync. But I cannot directly connect my tab to my harddrive. If u figure this out please help I hope this helped you

Peter Sanders

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi

FWIW, the drive format that works (for me) is exfat.

If you format a portable hard drive as exFat it works with Android, Windows and Mac. Great for file transfer between these devices.

One of the BEST things about the Galaxy Note 3 is its USB 3 connector. I don't know why they changed it back to the micro USB???

The USB 3 connector allows DIRECT connection and POWER TO USB 3 portable hard drives. (This does require the OTG cable). I started with a 1tb Toshiba drive. This worked exceptionally well until the drive died. At this point I changed to a Seagate 2TB drive.

The drive was formatted as exFat and is fully functional and accessible as a 2TB drive directly from the Galaxy Note 3.

This means I can read and write up to 2TB of data directly to and from the drive that is POWERED by the Galaxy Note 3 battery!! I do not know how long this would last as I have never timed it, but the drive "powers down" after a period of inactivity. Accessing the drive causes it to spin back up and work as normal. This is "the best thing since sliced bread" :D

I do have a 250gb SSD that came out of my PC when I upgrade the PC to a 500gb SSD. This also works and probably draws less power than the normal (Seagate) hard drive.

I was very disappointed to find that the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 with a much lager battery capacity, DOES NOT power the Seagate drive.

kind regards

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34