Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will ICS run faster/smoother than Honeycomb?

Hi folks,

Simple question: Will the Honeycomb-to-Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade cause the UI for Tegra 2 tablets to be any smoother for things like swiping between homescreens?

It's not like the Tab 10.1 is slow, but animations and screen transitions feel significantly less "buttery smooth" than my Galaxy S II.

I'm familiar with the benefits of graphics acceleration, but I don't really know how it differs between Honeycomb and ICS.

Thoughts?

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Default Re: Will ICS run faster/smoother than Honeycomb?

good question, but I have yet to really read any reviews of ics on a tab to know. Own how it will differ. Definitely agree with you regarding the difference between the SII and 10.1

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    Hi folks,

Simple question: Will the Honeycomb-to-Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade cause the UI for Tegra 2 tablets to be any smoother for things like swiping between homescreens?

It's not like the Tab 10.1 is slow, but animations and screen transitions feel significantly less "buttery smooth" than my Galaxy S II.

I'm familiar with the benefits of graphics acceleration, but I don't really know how it differs between Honeycomb and ICS.

Thoughts?
    Yea Ics will speed up this tab alot. It has hardware gpu acceleration and with the tegra itll be crazy good. I own the galaxy nexus on verizon and i can say with out a doubt ics makes the experience with android so much better

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to it.

I spent all morning reading impressions from Xoom owners who have been flashing aosp-based ICS builds, and the general consensus is that it gives the device a whole new lease on life and is considerably more smooth than Honeycomb. Since the Tab 10.1 has very similar internals, I'm anticipating the same sort of boost.

The upgrade can't come soon enough! *bounces*

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to it.

I spent all morning reading impressions from Xoom owners who have been flashing aosp-based ICS builds, and the general consensus is that it gives the device a whole new lease on life and is considerably more smooth than Honeycomb. Since the Tab 10.1 has very similar internals, I'm anticipating the same sort of boost.

The upgrade can't come soon enough! *bounces*
    The sgt 10.1 is a bit smoother in performance than the xoom, at least from what I've noticed, so when we get ICS it should run beautifully

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

I dont know are we getting ics on the tab. I read this and got mixed feelings. If the tab doesnt get ics ill look into the ipad3. I put 0 faith into bgr though. I just use them for something interesting to read.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Devices: Blackberry torch 9800 (retired), Motorola Xoom (returned), Blackberry PlayBook (sold), iPad2 (returned), Samsung galaxy tab 10.1, Samsung infuse

Quote Originally Posted by drethos View Post
    I dont know are we getting ics on the tab. I read this and got mixed feelings. If the tab doesnt get ics ill look into the ipad3. I put 0 faith into bgr though. I just use them for something interesting to read.

Maybe its not bgr but your reading comprehension? The article clearly refers to the 7 inch tab

My latest machinima projects

a spoof of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit - http://www.thenobbit.com
    Nobbit Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQKcTG1Oo7s
    Nobbit Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RloQO8orC_E
    Nobbit Part 3 - in production

The Egg - an exploration of the nature of the afterlife
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sre0luefMJY
    The Chef - A little Hitchcockian, noirish mystery
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPGGunPFCg

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by AnimaTechnica View Post
    Maybe its not bgr but your reading comprehension? The article clearly refers to the 7 inch tab

Lmao its the original tab with the single core processor in it not this tab

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I believe Samsung recently announced that the Galaxy tab 10.1, galaxy S2 (all versions) and skyfire will be getting ICS. I can not remember if it was first quarter or not.

Sent from my Galaxy tab 10.1 using Tapatalk
    Until proven otherwise the so called "Google Update Alliances" is dead and was just empty promises and words. One has to look no father than the pathetic and slow update process of ICS on all the manufactures and carriers. We should all be asking the question about updates and the so called Update Alliances ever chance we get.

Anything will make this tablet faster over Honeycomb. So jittery and laggy...

The tab 10.1 is definitely getting ICS. Samsung announced it not too long ago. The original Galaxy Tab won't. Can't wait for that update!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Well, I got to try out Ice Cream Sandwich on my Tab 10.1 thanks to a kang (unofficial compile) build of Cyanogenmod9 that someone compiled and pushed to xda. The thread has since been deleted, I'm assuming because one of the Cyanogenmod team members was not too happy about it (and said so in the thread).

But anyway, I tested out the build, bugs and all. I can definitely confirm that, yes, ICS is indeed smoother and faster than Honeycomb. It's close to, if not as smooth as an iPad2.

So, look forward to it. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Wookiee; 12-26-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Well, I got to try out Ice Cream Sandwich on my Tab 10.1 thanks to a kang (unofficial compile) build of Cyanogenmod9 that someone compiled and pushed to xda. The thread has since been deleted, I'm assuming because one of the Cyanogenmod team members was not too happy about it (and said so in the thread).

But anyway, I tested out the build, bugs and all. I can definitely confirm that, yes, ICS is indeed smoother and faster than Honeycomb. It's close to, if not as smooth as an iPad2.

So, look forward to it. Good stuff.
    It looks like whatever was going on got sorted and that preview build is back up.

I've been playing around with it for most of the day as well and I'll second everything you said, despite the bugs/missing features and some instability it runs very fast. I'm actually considering using this build until an official release comes out because even in an alpha state it's already very good (especially if you use a BT keyboard with the tab...)