Will ICS run faster/smoother than Honeycomb?

Wookiee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

Simple question: Will the Honeycomb-to-Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade cause the UI for Tegra 2 tablets to be any smoother for things like swiping between homescreens?

It's not like the Tab 10.1 is slow, but animations and screen transitions feel significantly less "buttery smooth" than my Galaxy S II.

I'm familiar with the benefits of graphics acceleration, but I don't really know how it differs between Honeycomb and ICS.

Thoughts?

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
good question, but I have yet to really read any reviews of ics on a tab to know. Own how it will differ. Definitely agree with you regarding the difference between the SII and 10.1

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

Simple question: Will the Honeycomb-to-Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade cause the UI for Tegra 2 tablets to be any smoother for things like swiping between homescreens?

It's not like the Tab 10.1 is slow, but animations and screen transitions feel significantly less "buttery smooth" than my Galaxy S II.

I'm familiar with the benefits of graphics acceleration, but I don't really know how it differs between Honeycomb and ICS.

Thoughts?

Yea Ics will speed up this tab alot. It has hardware gpu acceleration and with the tegra itll be crazy good. I own the galaxy nexus on verizon and i can say with out a doubt ics makes the experience with android so much better

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Wookiee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to it.

I spent all morning reading impressions from Xoom owners who have been flashing aosp-based ICS builds, and the general consensus is that it gives the device a whole new lease on life and is considerably more smooth than Honeycomb. Since the Tab 10.1 has very similar internals, I'm anticipating the same sort of boost.

The upgrade can't come soon enough! *bounces*

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to it.

I spent all morning reading impressions from Xoom owners who have been flashing aosp-based ICS builds, and the general consensus is that it gives the device a whole new lease on life and is considerably more smooth than Honeycomb. Since the Tab 10.1 has very similar internals, I'm anticipating the same sort of boost.

The upgrade can't come soon enough! *bounces*

The sgt 10.1 is a bit smoother in performance than the xoom, at least from what I've noticed, so when we get ICS it should run beautifully

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I dont know are we getting ics on the tab. I read this and got mixed feelings. If the tab doesnt get ics ill look into the ipad3. I put 0 faith into bgr though. I just use them for something interesting to read.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

AnimaTechnica

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont know are we getting ics on the tab. I read this and got mixed feelings. If the tab doesnt get ics ill look into the ipad3. I put 0 faith into bgr though. I just use them for something interesting to read.

Maybe its not bgr but your reading comprehension? The article clearly refers to the 7 inch tab

Timelessblur

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe Samsung recently announced that the Galaxy tab 10.1, galaxy S2 (all versions) and skyfire will be getting ICS. I can not remember if it was first quarter or not.

Sent from my Galaxy tab 10.1 using Tapatalk

sk102704

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The tab 10.1 is definitely getting ICS. Samsung announced it not too long ago. The original Galaxy Tab won't. Can't wait for that update!

Wookiee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got to try out Ice Cream Sandwich on my Tab 10.1 thanks to a kang (unofficial compile) build of Cyanogenmod9 that someone compiled and pushed to xda. The thread has since been deleted, I'm assuming because one of the Cyanogenmod team members was not too happy about it (and said so in the thread).

But anyway, I tested out the build, bugs and all. I can definitely confirm that, yes, ICS is indeed smoother and faster than Honeycomb. It's close to, if not as smooth as an iPad2.

So, look forward to it. Good stuff. :)

Last edited:

neova333

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got to try out Ice Cream Sandwich on my Tab 10.1 thanks to a kang (unofficial compile) build of Cyanogenmod9 that someone compiled and pushed to xda. The thread has since been deleted, I'm assuming because one of the Cyanogenmod team members was not too happy about it (and said so in the thread).

But anyway, I tested out the build, bugs and all. I can definitely confirm that, yes, ICS is indeed smoother and faster than Honeycomb. It's close to, if not as smooth as an iPad2.

So, look forward to it. Good stuff. :)

It looks like whatever was going on got sorted and that preview build is back up.

I've been playing around with it for most of the day as well and I'll second everything you said, despite the bugs/missing features and some instability it runs very fast. I'm actually considering using this build until an official release comes out because even in an alpha state it's already very good (especially if you use a BT keyboard with the tab...)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary