Kindle App vs. Nook App vs. Google for reading books on Tablet

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kindle App vs. Nook App vs. Google for reading books on Table

I haven't settled on one yet, but Overdrive allows you to borrow e-books from the library.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Kindle. Easiest to use across platforms including on a computer itself. "Just works"

...Sent from my Tab

fbcregan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Want to say Kindle cause I have a Kindle and have bought a bunch of books for it. But I hate the Android app for my Tab. Why no split pages? I've started buying books for Google Books cause of the 2 page layout and page turn animation. I like that better. Wish Amazon would update and fix that on Android.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I prefer reading with the Google books app because the experience is fantastic, but the Kindle books are cheaper, so that's what I almost always use (I also have a Kindle).

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

I have both as I had books on both before I got my GT 10.1. Preference wise, I like the BN "Nook" look & feel. However, both work fine.

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

There is a similar thread located here for more input: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-inch/129904-best-book-app.html

I had high hopes of connecting my 10.1 to the local WIFI in Singapore, to download a few books on each app. My only experience is with the Google Books app and I wanted to see what the B&N and Amazon app was like. I was not happy when I bought the books on Google Books because I didn't know I had to actually click on the book, and opt for the MAKE AVAILABLE OFFLINE after you purchase it. I guess it is my fault I assumed it would be on my tab. I made that mistake in Hawaii, and now I'm in Singapore. Got my books that I had purchased, but I can't buy any new books from the Android Market because I'm in another country. Same thing with the Amazon Kindle App. Not good for international travellers. Really wish I would have known this before I left on my deployment.

The Military internet here on the ship doesn't allow me to do much. It would be great if I could buy books online through a website and have it emailed to my Gmail. Then I could hook up my authorized external and transfer the book to my phone and tablet. Next time I'll be good to go....

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

The Military internet here on the ship doesn't allow me to do much. It would be great if I could buy books online through a website and have it emailed to my Gmail. Then I could hook up my authorized external and transfer the book to my phone and tablet. Next time I'll be good to go....

This site should help you get some books, but they may be classics with expired copyrights.

Welcome to Open Library (Open Library)

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Want to say Kindle cause I have a Kindle and have bought a bunch of books for it. But I hate the Android app for my Tab. Why no split pages? I've started buying books for Google Books cause of the 2 page layout and page turn animation. I like that better. Wish Amazon would update and fix that on Android.

I've been using the Google app for the same reason. And it seems like the books are the same price as Amazon.

andy957

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Any thoughts on Kobo vs. the others in this thread?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Given I have a multi-OS environment (OS X Mountain Lion, Android ICS for S3, and iPad), I was looking for an e-reader that supports all three. For now I've settled on Nook and have it working with no issues on the S3. I struggled a bit on the MacBook Pro and after a few reinstalls and workarounds that did not work for the Nook for Mac, tried the Nook Study for Mac. So far I can access my content. The Nook for iOS and iPad worked without issues. As a quick experiment I opened a book on the MacBook and it opened up to the last page I was reading on my S3. So far so good with this setup. Hope this helps others who may have a similar multi-OS environment.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Ever since Google added dictionary and highlighting options, the Google Pay Books is the best book app I've ever used. The page turning is a great experience. Amazon's usually the cheapest option though, and they also allow taking books out of the library.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty