Problems w/ Internet Browser

shroutr

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (16 gb/wifi) for a few weeks now and I have to questions/problems.

1) Is there a way to open the internet browser/new tab to your designated open page? Right now, every time I open a new tab or open the browser, it comes up with the recent tabs page (showing 8 thumbnails of recent/popular sites I've visited. While, this may be helpful to some, I set a homepage for a reason and would like the browser to open to that page. This is especially true considering there is no "go-to the homepage" button that I can find on the browser bar or in the menu.

2) Recently, my ability to search via the browser address bar has not worked. I used to be able to click in the browser address bar and type in a search (instead of a website address (i.e. "www.google.com)) and it would go to Google and perform that search. Now, it does not perform the search. It only takes me to Google's homepage. This is extremely annoying as it requires an extra step to perform searches.

Any assistance, advice, or direction to another forum that discusses this would be helpful. Thanks.

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure some folks would recommend that you just use a different browser, but I just stick with the stock one as well.

1. As far as this goes, what you need to do is go into settings for the browser and on the General tab, set your homepage to what you want it to be. Then, go to the Labs tab, and uncheck "Most Visited Homepage". That should solve your problem.

2. I am able to search by just typing something in like "Futurama" and hitting enter and it takes me to the google search results for Futurama. Not sure if you've changed anything in the settings to take that away, but make sure on the Advanced tab you have Google set as your default search browser, and also on the Labs page, I do not have Google Instant checked.

Hope it helps.

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ditch the stock browser and download Dolphin HD, its infinitely better..........even if you only set it to default the full sites rather than the mobile sites, its a vast improvement over the stock.

shroutr

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure some folks would recommend that you just use a different browser, but I just stick with the stock one as well.

1. As far as this goes, what you need to do is go into settings for the browser and on the General tab, set your homepage to what you want it to be. Then, go to the Labs tab, and uncheck "Most Visited Homepage". That should solve your problem.

2. I am able to search by just typing something in like "Futurama" and hitting enter and it takes me to the google search results for Futurama. Not sure if you've changed anything in the settings to take that away, but make sure on the Advanced tab you have Google set as your default search browser, and also on the Labs page, I do not have Google Instant checked.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips. With regard to opening the most visited page, you pointed me to the setting I was looking for.

For the searching, I used to be able to search just like you could, but somewhere along the way, it stopped performing the search when I typed a query into the address bar and hit enter. I'm beginning to think it may be a google setting (google instant, etc.), and not a Galaxy Tab setting, but I am still trying to figure that out and I wanted to see if anyone else experienced the sudden inability to search from the address bar.

Again, thanks for the help.

sthelinag

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I too have the problem with the stock browser not searching from the address bar...mine has never worked properly. I'm sure there's a setting somewhere that needs tweaking, but I've never taken the time to search for it.

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It is possible but a pain in the ass to do, much easier option is to install Dolphin HD which is infinitely better than the stock browser. You can easily set it to open full websites and many many other cool things.

My issue with the browser is that it constantly takes me to the mobile version of many websites. Very frustrating. How can I fix this?

Traz12

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
i have galaxy tag 7.0,but recently i got the problem vit browser.And the problem really piss me off.....with the browser
whenever i open my browser (any browser app), it stock with some audio and i cant search anything in my google search,it always reload to the same page when i touch anything in the browser (with the freaking audio sound) and sometime it freezing and force closed.
it really piss me off,so pls help me to solve the problem.

timato

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem with my 7 tab, put dolphin browser on it and it's better than before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
i have galaxy tag 7.0,but recently i got the problem vit browser.And the problem really piss me off.....with the browser
whenever i open my browser (any browser app), it stock with some audio and i cant search anything in my google search,it always reload to the same page when i touch anything in the browser (with the freaking audio sound) and sometime it freezing and force closed.
it really piss me off,so pls help me to solve the problem.

Um, did you go to apps, look for the browser and tap clear data?

How about a factory reset?

I have no idea what you mean by "stock some audio".