Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I Update OTA ?

Hey guys I just got home a to find my Galaxy Tab 10.1 came by UPS and am absolutely f@*king loving' it!!!! But, here's the real question. I had an Acer Iconia A500 before I upgraded to the TAB10.1 and when i updated to the OS to 3.2.1 it took ROOT away. Like I said I have just got opened up and turned on and am messing around with it but before I do any updating I need to know if I will lose root?. Or should I go ahead And root anyway. I been reading that Samsung has said no ICS OTA in the future but ACeR said the same and they just pushed the OTA last Friday. SO its A tuff decision. Please give me ya'lls advice before I do anything . Thanx fro ya'lls time and input!!!

Here's My Model :GT-P7510
    O.S : Android Ver. 3.1
    Kernal : 2.6.36.3
    se.infra@SEP-63 #1
    Build Number : HJ37.UEKME P7510UEKME

A official list came out last week from samsung on what tablets are getting Ics and galaxy tablet 10.1 was on that list.

EVO-LUTION 3D
    love my evo.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Should I Update OTA ?

Really that's great news. It was great on the ICONIA after the OTA. So what do you suggest now ? should I root or just go with the OTA's?

I would not suggest anything seeing as I don't root /tablet is great as/is and I love it. If it has Ics at the moment or not does not change what I can or cannot do with it. That is just me and everyone is different so what ever you end up doing just enjoy.

EVO-LUTION 3D
    love my evo.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Alright, Thanx Dude, I really appreciate it.:cool

At the very least I'd update to the latest OS version.

If you're familiar with Android and the rooting process, I'll let you know this: This tab was the easiest to root of any Android device I've ever owned.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-u-s-only.html

Is it worth it? Well, that's up to you I guess. I'm kinda a hobbyist when it comes to that sort of thing, so naturally I jumped right in...however I can also say that the current "official" OS really isn't that bad either compared to any of the ROMs I've tried out, so I really can't argue against sticking with it either.

FWIW, I'm currently running a version of CM9 (Android 4.0.4 ICS) on mine and really like it. Still a few kinks to work out, primarily the non-functioning camera, but it seems to getting really close to being "ready for prime time".

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

I rooted and flashed CM9. The loss of the camera is negligible. It didn't really impress me to begin with and I never used it. The tab seems to be a little snapper, but it could just be me. I really like ics on this device though.

I just read that the official ICS update for the Tab 10.1 is available today. I'll have to unroot and check mine when I get home later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by modidlee View Post
    I just read that the official ICS update for the Tab 10.1 is available today. I'll have to unroot and check mine when I get home later.

Where did you read this????

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw that too, but unfortunately I live in the US, not Canada.
    http://www.mobileburn.com/19413/news...ades-in-canada

This is still good news though.
    Last edited by paintdrinkingpete; 05-02-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Yeah my bad. I just read the whole article. Just realized that it was just for Canada.