Sold my tab... buying an ipad.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
despite have a far superior display...I'd never go Apple...the fact of the matter is...if I can't find an app that suits my taste...I have the skill to write my own. Try doing that on IOS and cone back and tell me how well that went. I'd reccomend an I pad to anyone who didn't want to think about what they wanted to do...they just wanted to do (reading that...I understand that it might come across a deragatory...its not meant that way...I believe that understanding how and why something works is just as important as an end result). Benefits of a classical education I suppose

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
despite have a far superior display...I'd never go Apple...the fact of the matter is...if I can't find an app that suits my taste...I have the skill to write my own. Try doing that on IOS and cone back and tell me how well that went. I'd reccomend an I pad to anyone who didn't want to think about what they wanted to do...they just wanted to do (reading that...I understand that it might come across a deragatory...its not meant that way...I believe that understanding how and why something works is just as important as an end result). Benefits of a classical education I suppose

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

You still ended up insulting at the end there. Just because i Can't write a program means I have no education? I'm not sure I understand, please explain since you're smarter than me.

Last edited:

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I love my Tab. With 1 exception I've been able to find every app I need/want and they look great on it. Saying there aren't many apps available for it and/or they don't look good on it is simply not true.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I love my Tab. With 1 exception I've been able to find every app I need/want and they look great on it. Saying there aren't many apps available for it and/or they don't look good on it is simply not true.

If you can point me to tablet specific apps I'd appreciate it. Zite & flipboard look far superior on my iPad than they do on the galaxy tab. They aren't tablet optimized.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

That contradicts every experience myself and others have had, including all of the tech sites. The tablet apps that are available for android simply are not as good as those available for iOS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
That contradicts every experience myself and others have had, including all of the tech sites. The tablet apps that are available for android simply are not as good as those available for iOS.

All the ones I use look are just fine. iOS is not the end all and be all. I have the latest generation iPod Touch with the retina display. I get that some people will always think anything but that is garbage. I however am happy with the display on my Tab. No issues at all except for the Facebook app, which is garbage.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
All the ones I use look are just fine. iOS is not the end all and be all. I have the latest generation iPod Touch with the retina display. I get that some people will always think anything but that is garbage. I however am happy with the display on my Tab. No issues at all except for the Facebook app, which is garbage.

The experience of many, many others, including myself begs to differ. If the ecosystem was remotely comparable, I would have gotten an android tablet instead of an iPad. But it isn't. The apps look horrible, in some cases barely function, and the selection of apps actually built for a big screen doesn't even compare.

Reactions: monkeyluis

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I own both an iPad 2 and a SGT 10.1 and love them both. They both have things the other can't do, but overall I like my SGT 10.1 and will soon upgrade to the Note 10.1 or the Transformer pad 700. I'm just a fan of technology, and I know not everyone can afford both but if you can it's worthwhile as you have the ability of two of the best mobile os's. I'm gonna jump on a win8 tablet as soon as they come out also. MS surface looks freaking amazing to me.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The experience of many, many others, including myself begs to differ. If the ecosystem was remotely comparable, I would have gotten an android tablet instead of an iPad. But it isn't. The apps look horrible, in some cases barely function, and the selection of apps actually built for a big screen doesn't even compare.

Why don't you stick to speaking for yourself instead of assuming you have the right to speak for "many many others"? The apps I use look great and function just fine., and I've never had trouble finding an app I wanted or needed. You can tell me I'm wrong all you want, but it's the truth.

Reactions: Jude526

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
What may be for one may not be for another. It's just a matter of preference and while we can all assert our own opinions, in the end, it's the OP's decision.

There isn't any need to bash the OP or anyone else offering their own opinion to help advise the OP.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX with ICS using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you stick to speaking for yourself instead of assuming you have the right to speak for "many many others"? The apps I use look great and function just fine., and I've never had trouble finding an app I wanted or needed. You can tell me I'm wrong all you want, but it's the truth.

Let me put it this way: the apps that are most used on a tablet platform by a regular consumer are better designed and better performing on iOS. What you use may not be what others use, and the apps I'm speaking of are generally considered 'core' apps for the tablet experience.

Jacksmyname

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all.
I usually stay out of threads like this, Apple vs. whoever.
Sooner or later they become slugfests.
When I went to buy a tablet, I was going to get the Kindle Fire.
It was going to be a gift for my wife, just a little gadget I thought she
might have some fun with. After browsing the tablets for a few minutes, I
bought the GT 10.1. After playing with the Tab for a day, I bought another
one for myself.
I took a quick look at the iPad, but moved on as I felt the Android would
be a better fit for us based on other devices we have, and based on the
closed system that Apple is. No doubt in my mind that the iPad is probably
a great tablet, and I've never used one. I'm not an Apple basher.
As for the user experience, we're both having a lot of fun with our Tabs.
The apps we use look and work just fine. We don't have a need for an office
suite, or work related apps (although my wife does use the Excel part of the
office app that came with the Tab).i
A few games (solitaire and a pinball game for me, a billiards game and a golf game for her).
Some photo editing apps, like Photoshop Touch and a few others.
We can manage files easily, copy to and from our computers over wifi, as well
as print from the Tab to our older USB connected printers, also over wifi (VERY cool).
As for the availabilty of tablet optimized apps, I'd say give it time. The iPad
has been around longer. There are plenty of apps now, just depends on what
a user needs. And it's up to the developers to write the apps. Any lack of apps optimized
for tablets is not a fault with the Android platform.
For us, the Tab fits our needs just fine.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.
I usually stay out of threads like this, Apple vs. whoever.
Sooner or later they become slugfests.
When I went to buy a tablet, I was going to get the Kindle Fire.
It was going to be a gift for my wife, just a little gadget I thought she
might have some fun with. After browsing the tablets for a few minutes, I
bought the GT 10.1. After playing with the Tab for a day, I bought another
one for myself.
I took a quick look at the iPad, but moved on as I felt the Android would
be a better fit for us based on other devices we have, and based on the
closed system that Apple is. No doubt in my mind that the iPad is probably
a great tablet, and I've never used one. I'm not an Apple basher.
As for the user experience, we're both having a lot of fun with our Tabs.
The apps we use look and work just fine. We don't have a need for an office
suite, or work related apps (although my wife does use the Excel part of the
office app that came with the Tab).i
A few games (solitaire and a pinball game for me, a billiards game and a golf game for her).
Some photo editing apps, like Photoshop Touch and a few others.
We can manage files easily, copy to and from our computers over wifi, as well
as print from the Tab to our older USB connected printers, also over wifi (VERY cool).
As for the availabilty of tablet optimized apps, I'd say give it time. The iPad
has been around longer. There are plenty of apps now, just depends on what
a user needs. And it's up to the developers to write the apps. Any lack of apps optimized
for tablets is not a fault with the Android platform.
For us, the Tab fits our needs just fine.

Google could do a better job @ encouraging higher quality tablet apps.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend who has decided to get the iphone as her first smartphone She is also with Verizon. I don't understand why someone would want a 3G phone on a 4G network. She has decided to hold off until the new plans are in place because she said it is the best way for her to go. I suggested she wait till the new iphone comes out then since she has waited this long. I certainly wouldn't want a 3G. She is in a 4G area but its her choice.
And her money. She too thinks apple is the best but she doesn't have Mac. She has PC. She loved my Samsung tablet but she changed her mind. I hope she will be happy with it.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
If you can point me to tablet specific apps I'd appreciate it. Zite & flipboard look far superior on my iPad than they do on the galaxy tab. They aren't tablet optimized.

It all depends on what apps you are using.
I agree that there are apps on the iPad that work and look better than Android, but the same holds true for some Android apps being better than those for the iPad.
BestBuy and Instagram are two apps in particular that operate better on my SGT 10.1 than they do on my iPad. They only have an iPhone version of Instagram, and I have to put it in 2x mode. It doesn't look as nice in 2X mode, and scrolling isn't as smooth as it is on my SGT 10.1
Dropbox is another app I enjoy using. The one for Android has far more features than the one for the iPad.
There are, however, apps that are better on iOS.
The iPad and SGT 10.1 are both very good tablets, and are a joy to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Download tablified app market to use as a reference to find apps that are tablet specific. It really comes in handy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just sold my galaxy tab 10.1, which I've had since August (Bought at Staples when it was being offered for $399) for $300.00. I loved the tablet but became frustrated at media video. The video maker was horrible, compared to a video that was shot on an ipad 2. I tried to duplicate the same thing at my son's birth...... couldn't do it. My friend shot an amazing video/presentation on his ipad. Also... and I know this wasn't a big deal for many users in the forum. Samsung Media Hub has not updated their servers in months. So currently the top movie I can purchase/rent is Footloose..... while on the ipad I can purchase the new Mission Impossible movie. (I actually purchased the whole Bourne trilogy... it plays on my Galaxy S2... but won't play on the tab 10.1).

I've NEVER been an apple fan. But from what I see... the device just works... out the box.

Hope it treats you good. I mean u can't compare the iPad 3 to the old gtab.
But I would have tried the new transformer before I jumped ships .

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It has treated me very well. I've since upgraded to the 64GB 4G LTE ipad..... and use it daily. I tried to buy a Kindle fire for my wife, but she refused it.. and I got her the 3G one... and she loves it.

I actually came back to this thread because I was trying to get a sense of how much the 10.1's would start selling for on craigslist now that they are banned in the US. I'd buy one for $150 - $200... I was never totally against the device.

The ipad.... honestly... just works. The apps... really work. Google plus, Google Voice.... and even instagram. Iphoto....has been great for editing photos and imovies also.

No force closing... no error messages...

I do miss one thing. I wish I could have my itunes collection stream from icloud (similar to google music)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It has treated me very well. I've since upgraded to the 64GB 4G LTE ipad..... and use it daily. I tried to buy a Kindle fire for my wife, but she refused it.. and I got her the 3G one... and she loves it.

I actually came back to this thread because I was trying to get a sense of how much the 10.1's would start selling for on craigslist now that they are banned in the US. I'd buy one for $150 - $200... I was never totally against the device.

The ipad.... honestly... just works. The apps... really work. Google plus, Google Voice.... and even instagram. Iphoto....has been great for editing photos and imovies also.

No force closing... no error messages...

I do miss one thing. I wish I could have my itunes collection stream from icloud (similar to google music)

You can use Google music in the browser. ;)

Since my library is already there because I use android phones, I play music on the iPad using it all the time.

Reactions: cdf3

The Architect

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
With all the newly released Google Apps for iPad, I'm thinking now is the time.

The BS with having the Tab still be an unsupported device for hulu+ despite finally being installable has me more frustrated than ever.