Importing pictures from Camera to Tab 10.1

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to find a way to import photos taken from my digital camera to my Tab 10.1
I have a Samsung USB adapter for my Tab 10.1
I decided to connect my digital camera to my Tab10.1 via USB cable.
The device and files did not show up as an external device when I searched for it in the External USB directory. I did notice that all of the images from my camera showed up in the Gallery App with an Import option. I could Import one image at a time, or I could press and hold an image while in thumbnail view, and Import all images.
I'm liking this feature so far.

I'm thinking about getting a 2nd digital camera. Does anyone know if this will work with any digital camera? I have a Kodak Easyshare camera. I'm hoping this will work for any digital camera, and not just Kodak cameras. Hopefully someone will test and confirm.

anon(549921)

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
as the memory card in the camera should act just as it is, not a camera but a memory card, I see no reason for this not to work for anything really.

By why not just use Picasa (Google Photo's) and have cloud access to your entire photo library and download as and when needed?

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
One reason that I hook up my DSLR directly to the Tab is to show the photos to people. It's a really great tool that way....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
as the memory card in the camera should act just as it is, not a camera but a memory card, I see no reason for this not to work for anything really.

By why not just use Picasa (Google Photo's) and have cloud access to your entire photo library and download as and when needed?

It doesn't act like a true memory card. When I search for the dcim folder from my camera, I can't locate it using file explorer apps. If I plug other external memory devices, they show up in the external USB folder.

I keep my photos backed up to the cloud, but I wanted a way to be able to upload pics from my camera. If I'm on a trip with my camera and Tab, I wanted an easy way to transfer the photos to my Tab, then Email, post to social networks, Picasa, or upload to Dropbox from my Tab over a wifi network.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't act like a true memory card. When I search for the dcim folder from my camera, I can't locate it using file explorer apps. If I plug other external memory devices, they show up in the external USB folder.

I keep my photos backed up to the cloud, but I wanted a way to be able to upload pics from my camera. If I'm on a trip with my camera and Tab, I wanted an easy way to transfer the photos to my Tab, then Email, post to social networks, Picasa, or upload to Dropbox from my Tab over a wifi network.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

True, you can't navigate the memory card's folders via a file explorer app, but that is not an issue unless you're interested in RAW files. If you're just handling JPG's there's no problem with just importing them via the Gallery.

Anyway, I spent 3 weeks in Europe and I uploaded pics to Picasa, G+, and Flickr with my Galaxy Tab. I was very pleased with the results and must say that it was an awesome experience to have taken that approach rather than carry a laptop around.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
True, you can't navigate the memory card's folders via a file explorer app, but that is not an issue unless you're interested in RAW files. If you're just handling JPG's there's no problem with just importing them via the Gallery.

Anyway, I spent 3 weeks in Europe and I uploaded pics to Picasa, G+, and Flickr with my Galaxy Tab. I was very pleased with the results and must say that it was an awesome experience to have taken that approach rather than carry a laptop around.

Yes, it's awesome having that capability.
I wonder if the gallery app on all Android tablets have this feature, or if this is something that Samsung implemented in their gallery app?
At one point I was thinking of getting an iPad. I wonder if files can be transferred from a digital camera over to an iPad? If not, it makes my purchase of the Tab 10.1 that much sweeter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

crimsonpath

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Could you please provide me with the step by step operations in Gallery? I'm newby in using the tablet and can't find the "import" feature so far :(
Thanks in advance!

kindlenche

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
@crimsonpath
When you connect your camera to the Samsung Note 10.1, the gallery app opens and you should see a new folder of your pictures from the camera on the screen. Click on that and then the camera icon on the top right of the screen and the images will be imported.

Bob Warby

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I am having problems trying to transfer photos from the sd card from my fuji camera to my samsung tablet 10.2 I put the card into a reader and attach to my tablet. I can view them but when i remove the card and reader they do not stay on my tablet. I am hoping to find out as i will only be taking the tablet and camera away on hiliday

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am having problems trying to transfer photos from the sd card from my fuji camera to my samsung tablet 10.2 I put the card into a reader and attach to my tablet. I can view them but when i remove the card and reader they do not stay on my tablet. I am hoping to find out as i will only be taking the tablet and camera away on hiliday

Did you copy the files over to the Tablet?
I use ES File Explorer to copy them over when it's connected rather than using the stock file app.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
No i havenever heard of it. Whatdo i have todo

Navigate to the usb folder. Press and hold the file and choose copy. Navigate to the internal storage of your tablet, choose a folder or create a new one. Press the menu key and choose paste. You can also choose several files at once instead of just one file using the choose multiple files feature.

Bob Warby

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you I think I may have worked it with your kind help.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

csmart309

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
ok I have been reading your threads. I got the samsung usb connector, pluged in camera, olympus card reader, and other card reads and still can not locate on my brand new sansung galaxy note 10.1. I wanted a way to take photos off the camera while traveling without having to take mg laptop. so far I can't figure this out. I have only 10 days before I return this note if I can'tfigure this out. HELP PLEASE. I even tried a ipad yikes and we own not one i product in this house. ipad didn't work either.

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried hooking my camera up directly but I do transfer my photos using the sd or usb adapter. When you plug the adapter in with your card in it, my files will open up showing sd, ext sd and usb drive open the usb file...inside that file are sub folders with all your pics...put a check mark in the pics you want to transfer. ?.then copy and paste them to the drive you want them in. Remember if you use the scissors icon you are going to be cutting and pasting....meaning your pics will be removed from your camera card....nt

Alain Menager

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Anyone help...
I have triedto connect my camera directly via usb adaptor to my new tab 10 running android 4.1.1.... and nothing happens.
Device does not appear nor do the photos appear in gallery.
Should I be able to connect camera direcly to tablet and see this as and external device?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone help...
I have triedto connect my camera directly via usb adaptor to my new tab 10 running android 4.1.1.... and nothing happens.
Device does not appear nor do the photos appear in gallery.
Should I be able to connect camera direcly to tablet and see this as and external device?

Not sure of the type of camera you have, but you may have to change the transfer mode within the camera's settings.
I don't have to change it with my current camera, but I had to change the transfer mode to PTP in the settings of my previous camera.
The camera also has to be on in order to transfer the photos.

Tapan Malhotra

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried connecting the dongle for internet with your USB adapter? Please do let me know if it works. I am looking for such adapter which support dongle as well.

bluehills

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have followed this thread with interest having recently bought the Galaxy 2 10.1 to take on a holiday. I have tried to follow suggestions given but am still having difficulty. While the camera card is in the adaptor I can find the photo in My Files ( and then view it in Gallery) but cannot find it when the card and adaptor are removed. Do I have to copy it to some internal memory and if so, how? Cannot see anything that allows me to import, or copy & paste.
I would hope to be able to send it via gmail and also to be able to upload it to flickr.
Can anyone step me through it in detail? I am a senior citizen who is finding the tablet very different to use compared with the PC.
TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz