"Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped." What does this mean?

Onewhoseeks Krells

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to say that I started to get this message on my rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus running AOKP 4.2.1 (aokp_toro_jb-mr1_build-1). Tried the suggestion to clear cache and data for the Download Manager app, and things seem to be fixed. Thanks @Brownstar69 for the tip!

Roman Shein

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Solved: "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped." What does this mean?

The process name implies that it is related to sd card. Fat file system is very old and unreliable file system. Android stop app to prevent further damage to your data.
Solution:
Eject microSD. Insert in card reader, plug to PC. Run chkdsk i: /f /x, where i- drive letter for your sd partion in windows. Chkdsk shall find and fix problem. Problem solved.

KJS18

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
To anyone still having trouble with this problem. Here's what fixed it for me:
1) Unmount SD card
2) Go to Settings>Manage Applications>All>Media Storage
3) CLEAR DATA
4) Mount SD card
I had been trying everything that I saw on this thread then I started messing with it on my own trying to figure something out and now I have no problems, all the music and photos on my SD card were fine, so far my applications are untouched and all seems well with the world! Hope this helps anyone still having trouble!

sassynachos

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy, the first one I believe which came out in 2012. My phone will not let me do a thing. I have done everything you could possibly imagine, factory reset, Settings --> Applications -->All--> Download Manager --> Clear Data/Cache. Not one thing worked. Help.

Kim Vammen

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the video, but next time you make a guide, then stop repeating yourself so much in the begining and just tell us how to fix the problem. Maybe explain what problem you are fixing :)

haniming2

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped." What does this mean?

How do I do it? I can't use the cam and I can't access the music and gallery the moment I started getting tht message. Did you have those problems too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Angted

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Tried that but I'm stuck on "computing"..........can't clear data......option is greyed out.

I also did a factory reset twice and soon after the same message appears.

ByunnieBaek

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Guys , I created an account just to reply to this thread. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and this message kept coming up, like I couldn't use my camera, my files or get to my music without it force closing and it would freeze up a lot too. I tried clearing media storage worked for some people that didnt work for me though. But I think the issue lies in the sd card I have an 8GB SanDisk memory card and all these problems occured when the sd card was in. I even factory reset my phone and it worked for about 2 days before the "android process media has stopped" message popped up again. I took my sd card out and everything is fine now. I think I need a new one all together because my phone stopped recognising it but it would know when I ejected it out of my phone. So I suggest taking out your sd card if that doesnt work take it out, factory reset your phone then try using it without the sd card.

pimpsocrates

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped." What does this mean?

I kept getting this same error, "android.process.media has stopped..." and also "android.process.acore has stopped..." The message started after I unrooted. I was able to solve the issue by installing Jelly Bean 4.1 update. This is the link on how to do it:

Update Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint L710 To Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean VPBMD4 Firmware

I highly recommend backing up everything you hold dear before you root or unroot your phone. This update is what saved my phone as I didn't backup before unrooting. I couldn't make a call on my phone nor even install a backup app. I was about to restore factory update until I decided to try this first, and it worked. Make sure you are downloading an official Jelly Bean Stock update; the link on the instructions above works.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, Sprint. Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463