What Jellybean ROM works best on this tablet?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I was going to put Cyanogenmod 10 on this but realized there might be another ROM that works better (better performance). Can you recommend one?

Thanks!

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was going to put Cyanogenmod 10 on this but realized there might be another ROM that works better (better performance). Can you recommend one?

Thanks!
Only one i have heard of is CM10. I have been playing with my Nexus 7 recently so I havnt been looking to hard. After class today i plan to try out CM10 android 4.2 and see what its like.

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2) nighties for a couple of weeks now. No issues so far except for Google Now bombing. 4.2 is both good and bad. Hate, hate, hate the way Google has reorganized the task bars. 10.1 and earlier made much more sense. The type in the top bar is so small it's unreadable. Big step backwards for UI. Otherwise pretty solid -- love the way you can close active apps at once.

Thanks!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I've been using Cyanogenmod 10 (JB 4.2) nighties for a couple of weeks now. No issues so far except for Google Now bombing. 4.2 is both good and bad. Hate, hate, hate the way Google has reorganized the task bars. 10.1 and earlier made much more sense. The type in the top bar is so small it's unreadable. Big step backwards for UI. Otherwise pretty solid -- love the way you can close active apps at once.

Does it run faster (i.e. less lag) than ICS with Touchwiz?

Do you have a link to how you rooted it?

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Does it run faster (i.e. less lag) than ICS with Touchwiz?

Do you have a link to how you rooted it?

Way, way faster than ICS. I was never a fan of Touchwiz (the only thing I ever used was the floating calculator). Pure Android is a lot better visually (though with 4.2 not as good as before).

Here are the links that I used:

Direct link to the Nightlies:
CyanogenMod Downloads

This used to get you to the latest version of the GApps (Google Apps) but seems to have been changed. Just do a search if you can't find them:
CyanogenMod

This is a good general guide on how to root:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ab-10-1-gt-p7510-u-s-only-honeycomb-only.html

.. and another good guide how to use ODIN:
Flashing Galaxy tab Firmware using ODIN | smartphone and tablet review, tips,tweak and hack

If you have a fair amount of patience it's not as hard as it seems. You just have to wade through a lot of nerd talk ;-)

Good luck!

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! But that's for rooting from Honeycomb not ICS.

The process is exactly the same except the files you choose to load will be different. You'll be using the CM file and the most updated version of GApps (Google Apps) for 4.2. So the instructions for which buttons to push and so on are the same. Once you are rooted then it'll load a much easier interface to do this but it's good to know how to do the basics.

Unfortunately there really isn't a comprehensive guide to do all this. It's really the Achilles heel for Android. There are a lot of knowledgable people to help but they aren't writers or visual designers (like you would have at Apple or Google) and so most of this stuff is somewhat hard to follow. Here's also a video I used awhile ago that walks you through the basics that I thought was helpful when I first rooted. Watching someone do it made it less intimidating.

How to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1! - YouTube

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
The process is exactly the same except the files you choose to load will be different. You'll be using the CM file and the most updated version of GApps (Google Apps) for 4.2. So the instructions for which buttons to push and so on are the same. Once you are rooted then it'll load a much easier interface to do this but it's good to know how to do the basics.

Unfortunately there really isn't a comprehensive guide to do all this. It's really the Achilles heel for Android. There are a lot of knowledgable people to help but they aren't writers or visual designers (like you would have at Apple or Google) and so most of this stuff is somewhat hard to follow. Here's also a video I used awhile ago that walks you through the basics that I thought was helpful when I first rooted. Watching someone do it made it less intimidating.

How to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1! - YouTube

Thanks! I followed this and it was very clear:
[GUIDE] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [Video Walkthrough] - xda-developers

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Way, way faster than ICS. I was never a fan of Touchwiz (the only thing I ever used was the floating calculator). Pure Android is a lot better visually (though with 4.2 not as good as before).

Here are the links that I used:

Direct link to the Nightlies:
CyanogenMod Downloads

This used to get you to the latest version of the GApps (Google Apps) but seems to have been changed. Just do a search if you can't find them:
CyanogenMod

This is a good general guide on how to root:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ab-10-1-gt-p7510-u-s-only-honeycomb-only.html

.. and another good guide how to use ODIN:
Flashing Galaxy tab Firmware using ODIN | smartphone and tablet review, tips,tweak and hack

If you have a fair amount of patience it's not as hard as it seems. You just have to wade through a lot of nerd talk ;-)

Good luck!

Help! The Google Apps are gone!!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

How long should it take for Cyanogenmod to start up the first time? The circle just keeps spinning. Did it not work?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
How long should it take for Cyanogenmod to start up the first time? The circle just keeps spinning. Did it not work?

Cleared data and cache and re-flashed CM and now it's working!

Does Google voice search work for you? It's crashing on me (not that important).

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Cleared data and cache and re-flashed CM and now it's working!

Does Google voice search work for you? It's crashing on me (not that important).

Congrats! Yeah, Google Voice/Now pops up and then crashes. It would be nice to have but, oh well...

BTW - It's handy that you can go into Settings > About Tablet > Cyanogen Updates and view/update the ROMs from there. I've been able to update the nightlies be just clearing out the caches and not the data . That way I don't have to re-load and re-build the desktop. Don't know if that's what you're suppose to do but it works for me -- I really can't find a straight answer on what exactly you are suppose to clear when doing updates or the consequences.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Congrats! Yeah, Google Voice/Now pops up and then crashes. It would be nice to have but, oh well...

BTW - It's handy that you can go into Settings > About Tablet > Cyanogen Updates and view/update the ROMs from there. I've been able to update the nightlies be just clearing out the caches and not the data . That way I don't have to re-load and re-build the desktop. Don't know if that's what you're suppose to do but it works for me -- I really can't find a straight answer on what exactly you are suppose to clear when doing updates or the consequences.

I think once you have CM there, you don't need to delete data but before that, it's recommended.

If they can just fix Google Now, it'll be perfect!

BTW, what do you have your CPU set to? I found until I set it overclocked to 1200mhz, it wasn't running very smoothly. There was a fair amount of lagging when switching apps and going to the home screen.

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I think once you have CM there, you don't need to delete data but before that, it's recommended.

If they can just fix Google Now, it'll be perfect!

BTW, what do you have your CPU set to? I found until I set it overclocked to 1200mhz, it wasn't running very smoothly. There was a fair amount of lagging when switching apps and going to the home screen.

I find that it starts to lag when there are too many apps open -- which is why I like how it's so easy to close them all at once. I also use Nova launcher and don't do animated desktops to keep the overhead down. I'm starting to realize that this tablet is going on 2 years and the processer won't be up for the task much longer. Almost time to start thinking about the next one but honestly don't know if it'll be Android or iOS. I see the pros and cons of both but the 3rd party developers really haven't stepped up as much as I had hoped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome