Suddenly very slow charging

Oscar Blanco

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I love my trusty Galaxy Tab 10.1

It's been great for bed time reading and netflix viewing in order to not bother my sleeping wife.

The problem is, that my wife is a hog for any usb cable for her phones, I simply gave up establishing ground rules. She will end up ruining one cable and move on to the next, and I never have on available in any outlet, where I know I can always go to charge my phone. I keep hunting around the house for any still functional cables (she falls asleep with her phone in her hand, connected to the wall outlet, so cables don't last very long).

Anyway, I had been able to keep her away from the cable that came with my galaxy tab. Which I think also produces a different amperage at the box on it's end where you connect the usb cable that connects to the tablet.

So, when she can't find one of those cables she keeps leaving around the house (or simply doesn't want to go find them), she grabs my cable (which is always near the bed) and uses it.

On our last trip out of the country, as a matter of convenience, she used it all the time. Even disconnecting my tablet to charge her own phone.

Now I notice the box where you connect the usb cable is hot, and so is the tablet (not a lot, but there is heat). And now, it takes about 20 mins to charge 1%

I know I probably have to buy a new cable.

But what I want to know is. If the damage is simply expected obsolescence, or could it relate to charging a gadget that uses different amps like the S4? I want to know that if I bring this up (which will certainly cause an argument) it's a real possibility (so I can keep her away from my NEXT cable!)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it is damage cause by charging other devices. To a degree, that is why there is a universal plug (micro USB).

I am not sure what to suggest about the cable sharing. Perhaps an external battery pack? Either for you or for your wife?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung shorts the data contacts in the wall charger to let the phone know it's charging from a wall charger. It works with any cable (even the charge-only cables that come with wireless headsets). Find a good place to get cables (like Cables to Go), and see if you can get a good deal on, say, 25 3 foot cables. Then hide most of them. At least you'll have enough, and when you start running low, order more. (My wife goes through earbuds like that - she sleeps with them in - so we found a cheap comfortable type in a dollar store and I bought their entire stock for about $15.)

Work something out - divorce attorneys are expensive.

As for why things are getting hot - it could be a bad battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae