It is official No Micro SD - Product Fail

jrheuman

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been waiting for this product all spring and will be unfortunately be heading to Costco today to repurchase a Xoom. It definitely weighs more, but offers a direct USB connection and Micro USB (that will hopefully work at some point Google). Samsung, if you are going to try to pull market share from Apple then you need a product that is significantly better. The same hardware specs (other than ram) and the newly released Honeycomb OS with limited apps is not the way to go. This was your chance. You were the first to market with thinnest tab. If you included the HDMI, USB and MicoSd that my significantly smaller EVO 4G has that was released exactly a year ago tomorrow the adoption rate would be much higher for this product. This is ultimately a sad day for Samsung and Android. Maybe the non wi-fi versions will have the MicroSD.

elbaso

Apr 14, 2010
about.me
I imagine that once the tab has 3.1, and Samsung starts selling a USB adapter to their funny iPod-like connector, you could probably attach a SD USB reader to the tab, and it'd work fine.
Yeah, it's kind of a hassle, but it should also work with other media types (CF, etc.), and even with USB drives.
I'd love to be able to attach a USB thumb drive to my tab, and copy over files that way.

Girth

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sadly the lack of sd means I am going to get a xoom instead. I was really looking forward to a nice thin tablet but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
samsung could solder the SD card to the tablet and i wouldn't know the difference. Having the capability to exchange memory isn't a "fail" for a lot of people. The tablet that has the largest market share doesn't allow for exchanging of SD cards.

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately your going to get a xoom?? Aww poor you, you're going to opt for one of the best built tablets on the market, how unfortunate.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the SGT10.1 but I definitely want to go play with one to make sure TouchWiz is bearable on it. i was pretty intent on preordering one if possible but now i don't know. 32 GB would probably be enough - that's what size iPad I have and that's been fine for me - but it would be nice to have the option of expanding the capacity. ideally i'd just buy one at costco and return it if something better comes along within 90 days :) haha

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
One reason you're purchasing the Xoom is for SD card support? Last I check, that isn't working right now. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the Xoom. You should check out the ASUS Transformer.

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I'm torn. For what I'm going to use it for, I don't THINK I need more than the 16GB I would have on it. But it's also "nice to have". I don't understand why it isn't there in the first place. Would it make it thicker? They knew they'd sell the "dongle", so it was an accessory sales ploy? I like the look and the thinness, but no SD, having to deal with TouchWiz or whatever it's called ... well, at least I'll have until the 17th so I can read the reviews, not that I suspect they'll be any different than what was written for the ones people got at Google IO ...

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who says that an SD card is useless or that 16gb is enough your just kidding yourself. As for the 16gb tabs keep in mind that right out of the box you're getting 11 or 10 gB out of 16 and that's without any updates for the os. Also a lot of people think streaming content will fix this,true but the content is only as good as your wifi, without wifi no content. No one should buy anything under 32 or without an SD card.

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I'm torn. For what I'm going to use it for, I don't THINK I need more than the 16GB I would have on it. But it's also "nice to have". I don't understand why it isn't there in the first place. Would it make it thicker? They knew they'd sell the "dongle", so it was an accessory sales ploy? I like the look and the thinness, but no SD, having to deal with TouchWiz or whatever it's called ... well, at least I'll have until the 17th so I can read the reviews, not that I suspect they'll be any different than what was written for the ones people got at Google IO ...

I'm in the same boat as you. It would be nice to have it there and have the feeling that it's there in case you needed it.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who says that an SD card is useless or that 16gb is enough your just kidding yourself. As for the 16gb tabs keep in mind that right out of the box you're getting 11 or 10 gB out of 16 and that's without any updates for the os. Also a lot of people think streaming content will fix this,true but the content is only as good as your wifi, without wifi no content. No one should buy anything under 32 or without an SD card.

What mobile OS takes up 5-6 GBs? 2-3 maybe... I honestly don't think SD support is that big of a deal. If it means that much to you, get the USB dongle or use a wireless drive.

And to everyone talking about not wanting this because of Touchwiz... It's an optional update. It will come with stock 3.1

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd like the SD card so I could load a few with movies and swap them out on trips. But I have to bring a laptop with me when I go for work purposes and I've got my Lenovo X201 tablet PC for that which I could throw movies on.

It would have been nice though to have these options on this tablet. I still want to get it but we will see I might return it or sell it. Who knows

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Ya know I say I want to but I have zero movies on my IPad 2 haha I might need to just quit over analyzing these tablets and just get one I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995