Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Default It is official No Micro SD - Product Fail

I have been waiting for this product all spring and will be unfortunately be heading to Costco today to repurchase a Xoom. It definitely weighs more, but offers a direct USB connection and Micro USB (that will hopefully work at some point Google). Samsung, if you are going to try to pull market share from Apple then you need a product that is significantly better. The same hardware specs (other than ram) and the newly released Honeycomb OS with limited apps is not the way to go. This was your chance. You were the first to market with thinnest tab. If you included the HDMI, USB and MicoSd that my significantly smaller EVO 4G has that was released exactly a year ago tomorrow the adoption rate would be much higher for this product. This is ultimately a sad day for Samsung and Android. Maybe the non wi-fi versions will have the MicroSD.

ROM
    MIUI 1.4.8 & Netarchy NS

It has yet to prove an issue on my Nexus S, so I'll stand content. But preferences, I understand.
    @miniZtv

Have Owned:
    T-Mobile G1
    Motorola Cliq
    Nexus One
    Nexus S

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Alpha 5.1

I imagine that once the tab has 3.1, and Samsung starts selling a USB adapter to their funny iPod-like connector, you could probably attach a SD USB reader to the tab, and it'd work fine.
    Yeah, it's kind of a hassle, but it should also work with other media types (CF, etc.), and even with USB drives.
    I'd love to be able to attach a USB thumb drive to my tab, and copy over files that way.

Sadly the lack of sd means I am going to get a xoom instead. I was really looking forward to a nice thin tablet but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

samsung could solder the SD card to the tablet and i wouldn't know the difference. Having the capability to exchange memory isn't a "fail" for a lot of people. The tablet that has the largest market share doesn't allow for exchanging of SD cards.

Unfortunately your going to get a xoom?? Aww poor you, you're going to opt for one of the best built tablets on the market, how unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdroid View Post
    Unfortunately your going to get a xoom?? Aww poor you, you're going to opt for one of the best built tablets on the market, how unfortunate.
    Not saying it in a bad way, I was just really excited for the 10.1. No need to be snarky.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the SGT10.1 but I definitely want to go play with one to make sure TouchWiz is bearable on it. i was pretty intent on preordering one if possible but now i don't know. 32 GB would probably be enough - that's what size iPad I have and that's been fine for me - but it would be nice to have the option of expanding the capacity. ideally i'd just buy one at costco and return it if something better comes along within 90 days haha

Global Posts
    837 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

One reason you're purchasing the Xoom is for SD card support? Last I check, that isn't working right now. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with the Xoom. You should check out the ASUS Transformer.
    So many phones, so little time.

the tiamat kernel enables sd support.

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Honestly, I'm torn. For what I'm going to use it for, I don't THINK I need more than the 16GB I would have on it. But it's also "nice to have". I don't understand why it isn't there in the first place. Would it make it thicker? They knew they'd sell the "dongle", so it was an accessory sales ploy? I like the look and the thinness, but no SD, having to deal with TouchWiz or whatever it's called ... well, at least I'll have until the 17th so I can read the reviews, not that I suspect they'll be any different than what was written for the ones people got at Google IO ...

Anyone who says that an SD card is useless or that 16gb is enough your just kidding yourself. As for the 16gb tabs keep in mind that right out of the box you're getting 11 or 10 gB out of 16 and that's without any updates for the os. Also a lot of people think streaming content will fix this,true but the content is only as good as your wifi, without wifi no content. No one should buy anything under 32 or without an SD card.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freddyc View Post
    Honestly, I'm torn. For what I'm going to use it for, I don't THINK I need more than the 16GB I would have on it. But it's also "nice to have". I don't understand why it isn't there in the first place. Would it make it thicker? They knew they'd sell the "dongle", so it was an accessory sales ploy? I like the look and the thinness, but no SD, having to deal with TouchWiz or whatever it's called ... well, at least I'll have until the 17th so I can read the reviews, not that I suspect they'll be any different than what was written for the ones people got at Google IO ...
    I'm in the same boat as you. It would be nice to have it there and have the feeling that it's there in case you needed it.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Anyone who says that an SD card is useless or that 16gb is enough your just kidding yourself. As for the 16gb tabs keep in mind that right out of the box you're getting 11 or 10 gB out of 16 and that's without any updates for the os. Also a lot of people think streaming content will fix this,true but the content is only as good as your wifi, without wifi no content. No one should buy anything under 32 or without an SD card.
    What mobile OS takes up 5-6 GBs? 2-3 maybe... I honestly don't think SD support is that big of a deal. If it means that much to you, get the USB dongle or use a wireless drive.

And to everyone talking about not wanting this because of Touchwiz... It's an optional update. It will come with stock 3.1
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.

Everything is cloud now, my friend. Use Dropbox, Google Music, etc. I had a XOOM for 90 days and didn't miss the SD card once. Get over it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

well that sucks no micro sd card slot do all the carrier Versions not have the sd slot either?
    Press ALT-F4 to see nudes

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

I'd like the SD card so I could load a few with movies and swap them out on trips. But I have to bring a laptop with me when I go for work purposes and I've got my Lenovo X201 tablet PC for that which I could throw movies on.

It would have been nice though to have these options on this tablet. I still want to get it but we will see I might return it or sell it. Who knows
    HTC Rezound, IPad2, and Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

If movies are a big deal to you, and you want this tablet, get a wireless external drive and store all the movies you want
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.
    Press ALT-F4 to see nudes

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Ya know I say I want to but I have zero movies on my IPad 2 haha I might need to just quit over analyzing these tablets and just get one I like.
    HTC Rezound, IPad2, and Galaxy Tab 10.1

ROM
    Stock

I don't know what the big deal is, they have an hdmi, usb, and sd card adapter for the 10.1 already...

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    Everything is cloud now, my friend. Use Dropbox, Google Music, etc. I had a XOOM for 90 days and didn't miss the SD card once. Get over it.
    I do a lot of travel out of state when I vacation and lots of times there are no connections to wifi. How do I access my cloud? Well no worry here I have 32gb internal chock full of media with an SD card just in case. Try this with a 16gb no SD card tablet, sorry something is bound to be left behind.

I really don't need any of those ports for my needs, I just want the 8.9.

I do a lot of travel out of state when I vacation and lots of times there are no connections to wifi. How do I access my cloud? Well no worry here I have 32gb internal chock full of media with an SD card just in case. Try this with a 16gb no SD card tablet, sorry something is bound to be left behind.
    If 32gb of space really isn't enough for you in between trips with no wifi and the SD card adapter makes you angry, then sure, the Tab 10.1 isn't right for you. Go buy a Transformer.

After going to the gala last night, I will says the Galaxy is sweet but.....the lack of the USB, sdCard and HDMI slot is bad. The Toshiba Thrive has all these Tabs covered, July 13th can't come fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jrheuman View Post
    I have been waiting for this product all spring and will be unfortunately be heading to Costco today to repurchase a Xoom. It definitely weighs more, but offers a direct USB connection and Micro USB (that will hopefully work at some point Google). Samsung, if you are going to try to pull market share from Apple then you need a product that is significantly better. The same hardware specs (other than ram) and the newly released Honeycomb OS with limited apps is not the way to go. This was your chance. You were the first to market with thinnest tab. If you included the HDMI, USB and MicoSd that my significantly smaller EVO 4G has that was released exactly a year ago tomorrow the adoption rate would be much higher for this product. This is ultimately a sad day for Samsung and Android. Maybe the non wi-fi versions will have the MicroSD.
    Why not get an Asus Transformer for $200 less? Add a $25 16GB microSD when you need it.

You would still have $175 left over to get the $150 keyboard dock that turns the Asus into a netbook if you want. The dock also brings an SD slot another battery, and more USB options. The Transformer is also lighter than the Xoom.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast