Cases for Galaxy Tab 10.1

deeler

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know where I can find a good case for a 10.1 online? I ended up winning one of the Tab 10.1s at the NYC meetup last week and all the ones I've found online are out of stock or look cheap. Anyone who bought one at Best Buy in NYC know if they were selling any there? i know they were giving them away but curious if they had any others on hand to buy.

kingokocim

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I see that both of you won the Galaxy Tab. I'm in Chicago and have to wait until Friday to get mine. How do you like it so far? Any positives and/or negatives? I'm on the wait list for the 32GB Grey Tab. Thanks for any feedback you can give.

deeler

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i love it so far. Its great having this much screen real estate (compared to my droid pro it is massive). Only disappointing thing is the lack of netflix. Also been having issues with my wifi reconnecting after the screen turns off. Sometimes it reconnects automatically and other times i have to turn the wifi off and back on. You will not be disappointed though, overall its an excellent device.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
i love it so far. Its great having this much screen real estate (compared to my droid pro it is massive). Only disappointing thing is the lack of netflix. Also been having issues with my wifi reconnecting after the screen turns off. Sometimes it reconnects automatically and other times i have to turn the wifi off and back on. You will not be disappointed though, overall its an excellent device.

Make sure the wifi sleep policy is on "Never".

Reactions: deeler

deeler

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I want it to disconnect when the screen turns off though to save battery, its just a little irritating that it sporadically reconnects when i turn it back on.

ewvarn

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with deeler. It's a great device. I definitely prefer the wide screen format to the iPad's 4:3 ratio too. The widescreen actually allows you to use your thumbs to type when it's in portrait, which is a nice plus. One of the things I like the most about it is its size and weight. It's very thin and very lightweight. According to the specs, it's ever-so-slightly thinner and lighter than the iPad2 (though I only have the first generation to compare it to). But compared to the first gen iPad, the weight actually makes one-handed use a viable option.

I have the same wifi settings and experience the same issues as deeler. Though to be fair, our first gen iPad does the same thing. In fact, the iPad will actually drop the wifi signal mid-use occasionally.

The only issues I've experienced so far is the lack of Mac support out of the box, and very few apps designed to take advantage of the screen/processor (though I'm sure that will come in time). I just found out there's an app that needs to be installed on Macs to allow it to work with Android 3.0 and later. (Android.com) I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm guessing it should work.

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I picked mine up at the union square best buy as well. I'm debating returning it just so I can get the grey version, white is cool but I feel like it will get scratched and marked up.

I am also looking for a case and I would love something like the Ipad 2's smart cover, I just want something there to protect the screen as i pull it in and out of my bag.

Overall the device is great, you obviously can't go into it expecting the same fluidity as you would get with IOS and the ipad 2 but then again it only took me a couple minutes of playing around with the ipad 2 to get frustrated with the interface. Its ridiculously thin and light, I feel like this is the future of technology, a device that can do anything but is just literally a screen in your hand.

I havent had any of the wifi issues mentioned above but there are some issues that have become apparent. First there is significant keyboard lag when typing into some text fields on websites. For instance typing right now has a fair bit of lag (I'm on my tab). Secondly, and i cant believe this issue hasn't received more press, is the Tegra 2's lack of rotational hardware acceleration. This means that if your not holding it in the default view which is landscape with the camera on top you get a significant drop in frame rate across the board. This makes swiping between home screens choppy, choppy app drawer scrolling and choppy multitasking scrolling. This is a documented issue and I believe many thought the problem would be fixed in 3.1. Thankfully there is a lock rotation switch right in the notification bar settings so I just stick with the standard view and everything stays smooth.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I've also experienced the same issue with wifi connectivity. It's been perfect about 98% of the time, but in the week I've owned it I've had to reconnect to my wifi about thrice. It's not a deal breaker in any way and more than anything it's only a minor inconvenience. Love the tab all around.

ewvarn

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've definitely experienced the choppy animations when in portrait, but not something that is overly concerning to me at least. It would be nice to have it smoothed out, but not a major flaw I would really complain about.

In fact, there is really only one flaw that I've come across so far. I still can't get it to cooperate with my MacBook Pro. I've installed the Android File Transfer program on my MBP, but it never recognizes that it's even plugged in. I'm not sure what else to do with it at this point since there seems to be very little documentation about it still.

Do any of you that already have it use it with a Mac? If so, I'd love to hear what's working or not working for you.

gordita

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've definitely experienced the choppy animations when in portrait, but not something that is overly concerning to me at least. It would be nice to have it smoothed out, but not a major flaw I would really complain about.

In fact, there is really only one flaw that I've come across so far. I still can't get it to cooperate with my MacBook Pro. I've installed the Android File Transfer program on my MBP, but it never recognizes that it's even plugged in. I'm not sure what else to do with it at this point since there seems to be very little documentation about it still.

Do any of you that already have it use it with a Mac? If so, I'd love to hear what's working or not working for you.

This is insane and I hope a patch comes out by tomorrow.
I only have a mbp at home (though my work laptop is a dell pc with xp pro) and I cannot imagine a non-working software to connect the tab to the mac.

ewvarn

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Samsung and the guy told me it's basically an issue between the Mac OS and Linux. He said they're currently working to enhance their Kies software to include Macs, but nothing yet. So Samsung's twitter account pointed me to the Android File Transfer program, but when I called he said he couldn't speak to it since it's a 3rd party application.

In fact, I called back a second time to talk to someone different and he basically told me the same thing, "It's a compatibility issue." He did say, however, that there would be a communication about an update (likely the Touch Wiz UX) over the "next 2 business days" that should address this. So take that for what it's worth at least.

It's just surprising to me that Android's own program (that says it's supposed to allow Macs to work with Android) doesn't actually work.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams