Picked Tab over iPad2, help needed with basic Android questions

gordita

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So I need to buy a tablet within the next week and as of right now, I'm picking the new samsung tab 10.1 over the ipad2.
However, I need to understand some of the basic workings of Android to make sure I've picked the right tablet for my dad.
So, here goes:

1) If I understand correctly, with the tab, my dad will be able to connect it to his windows xp pc at home and at work via usb?
He will be able to add, delete and change ALL mp3, avi, xvid and jpeg files from either of his PC's? even his pdf files?

Presently, my iphone and my in-laws iPad2 is limited in this case. After syncing all my music and photos from my home pc to my phone, I cannot add music or jpeg from my work pc to the phone. This ticks me off big time. however, dropbox is helpful.

2) what is the software interface or user client to connect the tablet to the pc? so, is there an iTunes equivalent?

3) since my dad is not based in the US, what is the process to buy apps from the android market? he does have a google account but when he tries to buy apps, how does he pay for it each time?

4) Apps bought under his gmail account can be installed on his tab and his lg optimus T legally?? (if the app can be installed on the phone, ofcourse)

5) Currently, his windows xp desktop contains all his music and movies. what options does he have to stream them to his tab over wifi? does anyone do this today successfully?

6) frequently, he needs to take short notes. I purchased a spg stylus for my in-laws ipad, can I do the same for the samsung and what apps are available?

7) I love how the apple software updates are non-discriminatory. Everyone can update as soon as it's available. with regards to the Android OS, how frequent are these updates? I understand 3.1 just came out, do we know when and what can be expected in the next update and even when it's released, will samsung allow us to pull this update or we must wait for the updates to be pushed by samsung?

Thanks in advance!
All help will be greatly appreciated.
I intend to go to a bestbuy store first thing friday morning to purchase this tablet. I hope they have some in stock.
btw, what is BB's return policy on this tablet, can I return it without a restocking fee?

Thanks

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, need a google account for the market (or Amazon market). Once you BUY, the aps are tied to THAT account, and all devices listed under THAT account. So, buy once, install on all your Android devices.

Not sure about the outside US concern. Valid credit card should do it, right? I'll let ther provide clarification on this point.

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Google Music's new solution will support wifi streaming of music from the cloud. A good solution for some, but just not for me.

There are several solutions in Ap Store to support syncing his music directly to the device (vs streaming). Some play with iTunes, as middleware.

markp99

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Android updates are PUSHED over the air. You can "check for updates" to potentially speed up the update process by a few hours/days after a new release.

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So I need to buy a tablet within the next week and as of right now, I'm picking the new samsung tab 10.1 over the ipad2.
However, I need to understand some of the basic workings of Android to make sure I've picked the right tablet for my dad.
So, here goes:

1) If I understand correctly, with the tab, my dad will be able to connect it to his windows xp pc at home and at work via usb?
He will be able to add, delete and change ALL mp3, avi, xvid and jpeg files from either of his PC's? even his pdf files?

Presently, my iphone and my in-laws iPad2 is limited in this case. After syncing all my music and photos from my home pc to my phone, I cannot add music or jpeg from my work pc to the phone. This ticks me off big time. however, dropbox is helpful.

2) what is the software interface or user client to connect the tablet to the pc? so, is there an iTunes equivalent?

3) since my dad is not based in the US, what is the process to buy apps from the android market? he does have a google account but when he tries to buy apps, how does he pay for it each time?

4) Apps bought under his gmail account can be installed on his tab and his lg optimus T legally?? (if the app can be installed on the phone, ofcourse)

5) Currently, his windows xp desktop contains all his music and movies. what options does he have to stream them to his tab over wifi? does anyone do this today successfully?

6) frequently, he needs to take short notes. I purchased a spg stylus for my in-laws ipad, can I do the same for the samsung and what apps are available?

7) I love how the apple software updates are non-discriminatory. Everyone can update as soon as it's available. with regards to the Android OS, how frequent are these updates? I understand 3.1 just came out, do we know when and what can be expected in the next update and even when it's released, will samsung allow us to pull this update or we must wait for the updates to be pushed by samsung?

Thanks in advance!
All help will be greatly appreciated.
I intend to go to a bestbuy store first thing friday morning to purchase this tablet. I hope they have some in stock.
btw, what is BB's return policy on this tablet, can I return it without a restocking fee?

Thanks

1.) Yes, you can treat your tab as an external hard drive or USB stick, all files are manually editable from a PC

2.) There is no single piece of software that will take care of everything but there are apps that will accomplish the same functionality, not sure what you need but a few Google searches should solve the problem.

3.) If you can attach a credit card to your Google account you can buy apps. I don't believe there is a country restriction but I am not sure.

4.) Purchased apps can be installed on one or both devices, you do not need to buy multiple copies as long as they are under the same Google account.

5.) Google music is a pretty awesome service, it will let you upload all of your music from different devices and access them on any of your phones, tablets, or any internet connected device. It also caches music you've listened to so you can listen again even without wifi.

6.) Not sure about styluses, never really been a fan.

7.) Samsung has obviously been proactive in update pushing however who knows what the future holds. If say 3.2 is released and Samsung doesn't want to ush it, you can't pull as it hasn't been designed for this device. That being said this tab has already been rooted so if you really want the update I'm sure it will available from unofficial sources in a short period of time.

Hope this helps, I have the tab now, its pretty dope.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney