Galaxy Tab 10.1 or Toshiba Thrive

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The Toshiba has more options, as far as various plugs & what not, but it seems to be on the heavy side. It's listed at about 1.6 pounds I think. The Iconia I returned was 1.7 pounds & it was on the heavy side for one handed browsing.
The Thrive comes with a removable battery, which is nice.

Reactions: fldude99

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Though the Thrive appears to have more connections and SD storage, I can't tell you enough how great the Galaxy Tab is in the hands. It is so darn thin and light that I love using it with one hand. I have an Ipad2 and it feels better than it. If you don't need a ton of storage and can handle using the adapter, you should really give the tab a serious look. I would recommend holding one and deciding for yourself.

Richardz

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Another fence-sitter here. Was planning to get the Galaxy Tab 10.1, now wondering about Thrive.

Ports would be nice, but I'll spend a lot of time holding this thing in my hands. Anyone here play with a Thrive yet and have a personal comparison of how the weight difference feels in the hand?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Same dilemma although I pulled the trigger on a GalaxyTab 10.1 on Saturday night. I'm seriously hoping the Touchwiz update comes out before my return period is up. Vanilla Honeycomb is, well, a little vanilla. I like the ports on the Thrive but am concerned about the weight/thickness. The GalaxyTab is so damn light and thin it's unbelievable. I have the gray and its build quality is quite comparable to the iPad2 which I also own.

ntrimble

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree, love the tab 10.1 but without media hub for downloading/renting movies you essentially have a large android phone on your hands. I don't know if Toshiba has anything similar to the media hub coming out or not. Media content is an area that android lags way behind the competition.

sekao8

Jun 3, 2011
www.awoakes.com
I think the deciding factor is what you really want a tablet for

I wanted an accessory and port to my desktop computer, it cuts down on printing files, internet everywhere, and easy to share documents. I am not in need for a USB port simply because I have a desktop with bluetooth capabilities, and a dedicated server I can log into, and dropbox to boot

I don't see my self plugging anything into my Tab short of a USB data card, of which I wirelessly tether to my EVO, and if wireless tethering wasn't possible I would have gotten a Mifi device or dealt with an adapter.

Sure it would be nice having a port, I guess, but not worth the weight issue. I stand and walk for my job, and I never thought a couple ounces could make a difference, but a few hours into the day it sure does.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
First off....its cool that theres a choice to be made.

I once was like you...haha. But I went with the Galaxy Tab. I like the thin and light design. I wanted ports but then i was going to have something stick out from it.

I like the Thrive but it heavy. MOre like Xoom weight. Samsung will come out with the adapters to have the ports you want. If you dont mind the weight then get the Thrive. I saw some reviews on the Thrive and really didnt start liking it YouTube - ‪Toshiba Thrive demo‬‏
I dont like the way the camera is placed. I like the rubberized back but ill wait til Ringke makes a case for it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The adapters for the 10.1 are already out, but I'm waiting for some (cheaper) 3rd party options to show up.

For me, the Galaxy 10.1 is what I was looking for. It would be nice I suppose if it had a micro sd slot, or if it CAME WITH the USB adapter, but there's simply no way they could have fit a standard usb host port on it, so you'd probably be looking at an adapter regardless.

As long as I have the Dropbox app and the usb device cable to hook into my computer, I can pretty much do everything I need to do with it, but if you plan on doing a lot more file transfers and stuff like that (movies, music, photos, etc), then the usb and sd card slots may be more important for you.

rog152

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the Acer which had a decent set of ports and took it back for the Tab 10.1. As much as i wanted the Thrive it would be like going back to the Acer which I took back because of it screen quality or lack off and the Thrive is gonna be just like Acer and the Xoom. At the end of the day the screen is what floats my boat..

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Just want to throw my .02 in for the Asus Transformer. The screen is really nice with an awesome viewing angle. And it's fairly lightweight compared to everything other then the 10.1. And if you add the keyboard dock you get more connectivity options.

I'm still going to check out the Thrive however, just in case...

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
if the screen display is not as good or even close to the tab, then decision would be very difficult. the screen is such a major part, i would hate to compromise and have to strain my eyes.

desmond94114

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I for one was set to take back the HP Touchpad I bought last Friday and exchange it for the Galaxy Tab. A coworker bought his the same day as me, and I got to playing with his a bit. The iPad didnt play well connecting to my Epic 4g and I wanted something to play nice with my Android phone.

I just saw the Thrive this morning and now thinking Im going to get one. Here is the primary reason for me. I take a lot of photos on the fly and usually a huge picture taker. The option of having an SD card slot would provide me with easy transfer to the Thrive, as well as quick "on the fly" emailing of photos.

The weight is about standard for most tabs with the Galaxy S and iPad being really the only ones that are lighter (and even thats not much of a difference IMHO).

Battery life on the other hand may be an issue at 7 hours compared to 9hours. Its significantly reduced for the Thrive (although replaceable).

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Another fence-sitter here. Was planning to get the Galaxy Tab 10.1, now wondering about Thrive.

Ports would be nice, but I'll spend a lot of time holding this thing in my hands. Anyone here play with a Thrive yet and have a personal comparison of how the weight difference feels in the hand?

Try them all. I'm taking my flyer back tomorrow for a thrive...that will be tab 6. The only one I've found that works is the little gingerbread Flyer, and I give it a B-. Unfortunately, I give the galaxy 10.1 a D+ due to the bugs in honeycomb, and lack of SD card. Even the Flyer has an SD card port and it works...unlike the xoom. What is the point of putting an SD port there if it doesn't work? I disagree with the poster who says he doesn't need a USB port on his tab...those are handy as hell for syncing everything and also tethering without root.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been on the fence between the Xoom, and G10.1. Just now hearing about the Thrive. I'm going to have to do some research.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The primary factor for me in a tablet is portability. The Galaxy Tab is second to none in that respect, and a brighter more vivid screen doesn't hurt either ;)

I also think that chrome piece on the Thrive is really tacky looking, but to each his own.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with the poster who says he doesn't need a USB port on his tab...those are handy as hell for syncing everything and also tethering without root.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

+1...bluetooth and dropbox are very lame for large file transfers. USB gives you the option for fast transfer, or better yet run right off of the usb drive.

Not sure I understand the "tethering without root" comment...

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I had a GT 10.1 for a week and played with the Thrive over the weekend. Unless you need the ports, go with the Sammy. The Thrive felt cheap, clunky and bulky compared to the slim, sexy GT 10.1.

Reactions: Seven2k and rsix

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a GT 10.1 for a week and played with the Thrive over the weekend. Unless you need the ports, go with the Sammy. The Thrive felt cheap, clunky and bulky compared to the slim, sexy GT 10.1.
This....

madlaw hit it on the head... My wife has the Thrive and I have the GT 10.1. If you can live with connecting a dongle when you want ports then the 10.1 is the way to go.

Extended 1 handed browsing on the Thrive can get tiresome. That extra girth doesn't look like much on paper but when you hold them both side by side the difference is insane.

You really can't go wrong either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12