It's officially available: First Impressions!

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't played much yet, just got it.

My first impression was how smooth the glass feels. My Transformer or Xoom didn't feel this smooth. Almost feels as smooth as my iPad. And I can wipe away finger prints much easier.

Some people said it didn't have any special coating, but it seems like they've done something to improve the glass over the Transformer.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Just got home with mine. First impression: for its size, this thing is LIGHT.

Only one of my local Best Buys had them in stock when they opened this morning. I got the last white 32gb, and that sold that store out...less than two hours to sell out. A crowd was building around me as others were pouring in looking for them too, so I had to make it clear I was buying. Other stores in the area are finally starting to get them, so keep checking!

Reactions: nate44

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered mine for in-store pickup from a Best Buy almost 45 minutes from my house! My two local BB's told me they didn't get ANY with their weekly shipment today. The other six nearby didn't have any as of 11 a.m. this morning either. I just couldn't wait so off I go after work to pick up my new Precious. Can't wait....

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I had one preordered at my local best buy. They contacted me at 10:30 this morning to tell me that the 32gb grey one I ordered did not come in. I then went to another best buy and bought one..as I was leaving I got another email from the original best buy saying that they just got a truck in at 11:30 and mine was on it lol. Haven't got to play with it yet, moving movie's and music first.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I went to my local best buy. I had pre-ordered the 32GB tab on a whim (I have had the same 16 gig card for 2 years in my phone and I've never filled it) but when I got there they didn't have any 32GB in stock. I was kind of annoyed at first, but then I figured out that if I really needed the space, i could just get the adapter later on. Most of the space on my phone was for music, and with Google Music, I only need space for Pinned music (2-3GB on my phone atm) so i decided to grab the gray 16GB and buy an adapter if I needed it.

Initial Impressions: (warning.. I like writing, so this will most likely be a TL:DR)

Hardware:
This thing looks REALLY good.. Seriously Good. The Graphite version is amazing. Even though the back is plastic, they gave the thing some coating that gives it a metallic looking finish and a great feel. The thing looks sharp. I generally like how white electronics look, but I hate how easily they get dirty, but after seeing the white one in NYC and having the graphite tab, I would take graphite every single time.

it also feels well built, though freakishly light in the hand. It's an issue I've always had with Samsung products. They're well built, but they just feel a lot lighter than they should be. For this, it helps out a lot, since it's a lot bigger than a phone, so if it was heavy (the Xoom feels like a brick comparatively to me)

The screen is Fantastic. I had the transformer before this (had to return for hardware issues) and while that screen was really nice, I think this one blows it away. Colors are bright, and the viewing angle is pretty crazy as well, so it doesn't "haze" out of focus like a lot of touchscreens (such as my Droid Incredible) seem to do. The colors seem a bit "warmer" than the Xoom/Transformer, but nothing looks wrong, it's just that the warmer colors are a lot more noticeable.

When I booted it up, the thing had 40% battery life, but at least it powered on (Edit: Should put here that my Xformer shipped with a dead battery). Sad to note is that the charging cable is still short (grrr Samsung) but it seems to be slightly longer than the transformer. I really don't get why companies can't include a decent cord with their products. My first cellphone's cable could reach across the room. No comment on battery life yet, since I just got it, but I don't expect it to last too long these first few days, as I'll be on it a lot.

One thing to note is that the box also ships with a pair of headphones.. I know, free headphones and all.. But these aren't bad (for being free) and unlike most bundled pairs they actually feel decent in your ears. If you have a super expensive custom set, they won't replace this, but I was using some cheap knockoffs from Walmart, and these are much better. I know that should be a no brainer, but these are the first pair of headphones bundled with a product that I've actually liked enough to use.

This device DOES offer hardware GPS.. So if for some reason you want to take a 10.1 inch tab geocaching.. you should be fine

Software:

I booted the device up and I was greeted with the Stock Honeycomb set up. It found my wifi right away, I logged in and set up my Gmail and the device started syncing all of the applications I had on my Transformer (and new ones from my phone) onto the device. That's something I wasn't expecting. When I synced, my transformer, it pulled everything, including root apps. Since I had no intention of Rooting the transformer at that time, I removed those. I guess 3.1 remembered that on tablet devices I didn't want root apps so that preference carried over to the tab.. Kind of sweet.

This thing is stock Honeycomb through and through. There are some light customizations (such as the ability to set the lock screen wallpaper seperatly) but nothing ground breaking.
There are a couple of Samsung apps, but nothing too crazy. If you've used HC on a device, you'll be right at home here. I'm personally kind of excited to try Touchwiz when it comes out, I just hope we can rollback if we decide it's not for us. I won't accept any updates until that's the case or there is a root for the touchwiz and a flashable stock rom.

Only small complaint is that on the Transformer they included the "User Agent" setting in the default menu in browser, and it's hidden in Samsung's (like on the xoom) you can still get at it, but it's not as friendly. That being said, it seems that most sites are giving the Tab the desktop view, which is nice. There also isn't a way to take screenshots built into the software (that I can see) like there was on the transformer. These were both features I loved on the transformer, so it's sad not seeing them here. But more than likely that means that they were Asus's doing and not part of Honecomb.

After the initial sync, the device feels really snappy. Switching through homescreens has a small delay, but I really think this is intentional. When I installed ADWEX on my transformer (to see what it looked like) the thing flew. The stock launcher isn't choppy, just a delay, so maybe they don't think flinging icons around on your screen is a good thing? I didn't really notice any lag, besides that Samsung has the "Automatically sign into google" in the browser enabled by default, which can be annoying if you just want to look something up. This can be fixed though in settings.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions. The only thing I've really used it for so far is music, games and Plume, so I won't comment much on the software side of it. I'll most likely write a full review (even LONGER, oh noes) after I've played with it for a week. I was going back and forth between getting this or a transformer again. I think I made the right choice (for me). The transformer and the xoom were both quality products, but this feels like a 2nd generation HC tablet to me.

As a side note.. It's absolutely Fantastic how Google Music works imo.. I loved being able to play music within moments of activating a new device.

Last edited:

saltychino

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Just picked mine up. I had preordered mine from best buy, but then on a whim I called the local store to see if they had a 32g with metallic great in stock and they did so I grabbed it and canceled my preorder. The site said my preorder was in processing still and that it was backordered!

so, WIN!

Mine booted up with 55% battery and is charging at the moment, but initial impressions is pure glee. OS is smooth, glass is REALLY smooth compared to the Xoom that I messed with. And I was pleasantly surprised with the headphones. I can't wait to start playing with it, but I'm being a good boy and finishing up my papers first...although I probably shouldn't be on here either lol...

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
my BB wasn't even planning on putting the tablet out till tomorrow! so the accessories aren't out either. I plan on going back tomorrow to look.

Yeah, I need to get a case for this thing. I'm not a fan of naked devices. Hopefully a folding portfolio that stands but keeps it thin.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
For the people buying the Tab at Best Buy, did they have the dock in stock? The SKU for it doesn't even pull up on their website.
The BestBuy in my area had 2 docks on the floor for purchase and 2 different style cases. One all black, and another like a mesh style. The accessory I really want is the USB adapter. They didn't have that in stock. They also had the Zagg screen saver, but the reviews aren't that great so I'm going to see what else is out there as far as screen protectors.
In comparison to other tablets I've owned, this one is very light. I don't mind holding it while surfing the web.
It feels very solid and well built. I got the 16 GB model because I'm in the process of moving all of my files to the cloud. That way I will have access to all of my files from any device, at any time.
So far, I'm glad I purchased it.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
i took the plunge and ordered mine from CompUSA.(they have a 30 day return policy, in case I decide to cancel) I was amazed that according to their website, none of the Best Buy's in the southern region of Texas had any in stock. The closest one I could find was in Alexandria Louisiana or Lafayette LA.

this will be my first tablet to own but not my first Samsung device. i have a Samsung Fascinate and LOVE it

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
First time Android tablet user with a few questions.....

Can you close open apps? My app switcher has quite a list already.

Can the typing speed be increased? Seems sluggish and unable to keep up.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
First time Android tablet user with a few questions.....

Can you close open apps? My app switcher has quite a list already.
You don't need to. Android closes programs for you. If an application is running (and actually consuming battery) you'll have a notification in your status bar telling you this. Those apps will have a "quit" function. but you don't have to do this for 99% of apps.

The idea that you need to "Kill" apps is an outdated one from pre android 2.0, and a hold over from computers.
Can the typing speed be increased? Seems sluggish and unable to keep up.

Different keyboards will allow better speeds. text prediction will slow down typing. If you arn't yet, try using the stock honeycomb keyboard (click on the keyboard icon in status bar that appears when you are typing something) Swiftkey is also fast, and amazing, but I hate the neon theme they have going.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I did some poking around and found the different keyboard options. Switched to the Android keyboard but typing this response it still seems a little slower than I would like.

I understand how Android handles apps but it just seems like you can't close anything manually. Just my OCD wanting to keep things tidy I guess. :)

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I did some poking around and found the different keyboard options. Switched to the Android keyboard but typing this response it still seems a little slower than I would like.

I understand how Android handles apps but it just seems like you can't close anything manually. Just my OCD wanting to keep things tidy I guess. :)

I assume you are referring to keyboard lag in the browser? If so, common no matter what keyboard you use. Even using my dock on the Transformer is a little laggy in the stock browser.

Its better in Dolphin, but I still prefer the stock browser.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

Thumb Keyboard is excellent for tablets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC